• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i9300 + CWM 6.0.4.6 + Archidroid 3.1.5 - Sudden bricked 'Can't mount /cache/...'

Hi, firstly I'll say I'm a bit new to this. I've done some searching around trying to find out how I can troubleshoot this problem but I keep getting a lot of seemingly unrelated or contradictory information and I'm left somewhat confused so I thought I'd start a thread of my own...

I just attempted my first flashing of a custom ROM on my GT-i9300. I managed to flash the recovery using Odin then install Archidroid from the external SD, all seemed to be going well. It's been running mostly o.k. for a about 3-4 days then this morning I awoke to the phone stuck on the Archidroid boot screen. I tried to reboot with the power button but it wouldn't go further than the Samsung logo after that. Rebooting to CWM showed an error:

E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/command
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_log
E:Can't mount /cache/recovery/last_install
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/last_install

I can't seem to do anything in CWM without it failing. I've tried re-flashing the Archidroid ROM and I've tried re-flashing CWM via Odin, both failed. I'm now a bit stuck as to what to try next, can anyone help?

TIA.

Hi, thanks for your reply. I tried TWRP also and got the same fail in Odin:

<ID:0/009> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/009> recovery.img
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> FAIL!
<ID:0/009>
<ID:0/009> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
It was actually in a ZIP, I just pasted the TAR name before as it looked more complete. I extracted the the TAR and tried flashing with Odin; no luck.

<ID:0/009> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> I9300XXUGNA5_I9300O2UGNA1_I9300XXUGNA8_HOME.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/009> Odin engine v(ID:3.1005)..
<ID:0/009> File analysis..
<ID:0/009> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/009> Initialzation..
<ID:0/009> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/009> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/009> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/009> boot.img
<ID:0/009> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/009> FAIL!
<ID:0/009>
<ID:0/009> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

Upvote 0
Failed after Nand Write Start. What I was afraid of. If the stock firmware will not flash with Odin there is not much else to try. Op in other thread I linked to had same issue.

You could try the method in the XDA link or create XDA account and check with OP in the link. He seems to have a lot of experience with the Nand Write Fail and i9300. If your EMMC chip is toast then replacing motherboard might be best option if you want to keep phone. Sorry.

Upvote 0
From other threads I've scanned it's not looking too hopeful. Thanks for your replies thus far. I've taken a look at that XDA thread and it seems to be suggesting flash with a collection of files and re-partition and EFS clear boxes checked. I only have the one file and have been flashing the same way I did with the recovery. Should I be trying a re-partition?

Attachments

• odin.jpg
    odin.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 166
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones