• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
the prime got it's update today. i think we may have to wait for our tf101 update. :( dont think it's today.

I dumped my GSII due to update shenanigans, and the TF101 is next.

I got an i4S instead, and will replace the TF101 with an iPad3.

There is absolutely no reason for there to be this much of a delay between the Prime and TF101.

I was already sick of android's piss poor support for customers. This just put me over the edge.

Upvote 0

There is absolutely no reason for there to be this much of a delay between the Prime and TF101.

I was already sick of android's piss poor support for customers. This just put me over the edge.

it's not the problem of android. from what i gather the company who manufactures the device tweeks and compiles the source of the os. they have not ever given a date. only an educated guess. as for delays, i don't mind waiting for something stable to be released instead of something half-assed and full of bugs.

Good luck with your iDevices.

Upvote 0

With Apple, they have 1 version of the OS to support, 5 devices (3Gs, 4, 4s, iPad1 & iPad2) so pushing updates is easy. When you take into consideration there are hundreds of different Android devices out there, I'd say the OEM's do an OK job.

Aren't iUpdates prone to issues too? When iOS 5 was released, didn't it give some users battery problems, so they patched it and the patch caused those who weren't having battery problems to have them so they had to patch it again? That could be inaccurate though, I'm jut going by some of the rage I saw on my FB news feed.

I'd rather this didn't get sidetracked into a debate on iPhones/iPads Vs Android, so if you've anything to say about the above, I'm happy to take the conversation to PM or start another thread. :)

Fwiw, the Prime got its update in January during CES, the recent update was just a couple of bug fixes. Given the issues the Prime has had (GPS & WiFi), it makes sense for ASUS to focus their attention on that device. I'm happy to wait for ICS if it means it's going to be a relatively painless experience.

Why are you so desperate for the update, are there bugs you're waiting to be fixed?

Upvote 0

So what is it that is so inferior about Honeycomb that it has pushed you over the edge, and that ICS will rectify? Pray, do tell.

Upvote 0
Fwiw, the Prime got its update in January during CES, the recent update was just a couple of bug fixes. Given the issues the Prime has had (GPS & WiFi), it makes sense for ASUS to focus their attention on that device. I'm happy to wait for ICS if it means it's going to be a relatively painless experience.

Why are you so desperate for the update, are there bugs you're waiting to be fixed?

Honeycomb is a nasty, ugly, laggy, buggy, mess. That's reason enough for wanting an update.

ASUS should have focused their attention on customers that ponied up for a device that was just launched on March 30, 2011.

Tired of it.

Was never an iPhone or Apple person. Was a pretty committed android user since 2009, but the disappointments and lack of support are too constant, even if you get an official Google Nexus device.

After ICS for the TF101, android is 100% retired in my home.

Upvote 0
Honeycomb is a nasty, ugly, laggy, buggy, mess. That's reason enough for wanting an update.

ASUS should have focused their attention on customers that ponied up for a device that was just launched on March 30, 2011.

Tired of it.

Was never an iPhone or Apple person. Was a pretty committed android user since 2009, but the disappointments and lack of support are too constant, even if you get an official Google Nexus device.

why the anger? Asus has been the best at updating the os and they have been focused in updating the t101. if that's not good enough for u do what makes u happy.

Upvote 0
Sometimes I think people forget that once you've bought a piece of hardware, you can't really expect updates. I made that mistake once already, when I bought an MP3 player because I'd been led to believe that ID3 tag databasing would be released in the near-future. Never happened.

If you don't think you'll be happy with a piece of hardware as it would be at the time of purchase, I would recommend not buying it to begin with.

Upvote 0

Tired of it.

I'll admit, it can lag on occasion, but it's never as bad as it sounds for you.

Fair do's though. IOS isn't for me, but there's no denying the iPads are well built pieces of kit.

Upvote 0

Tired of it.

I certainly haven't had such a poor experience with my Eee Pad. The only reason I want ICS was to try out the Chrome beta. If not for that, I could care less whether or not I get ICS.

Reactions: mchristjr1983
Upvote 0

Tired of it.

I have a TF101 and I've had nothing but good luck with it. I have a friend that has a TF101 and had problems after he dropped it. Asus replaced his device, no questions asked, and it was well out of the warranty period. If that's not considered good customer service, then I don't know what is. :)

Do I want ICS on my TF101? Sure I do. I have it on my Galaxy Nexus and I absolutely love it. After reading some of the horror stories from TF201 owners, however, I am more than willing to patiently wait for the wrinkles to be ironed out before its released. My tablet is 100% functional as is and I don't need ICS, so I'm willing to wait as long as it takes. Does it lag a bit in some places? Sure it does. But does that prevent me from watching movies, sending emails, or browsing the Internet? Absolutely not.

You have to remember that Asus is under no obligation to update anything... they do it because they choose to do it, not because they have to do it. Again, Asus is being nice enough to support their user base well after the sale... thank you, and yes, I'll patiently wait.

Finally, it sounds like you're looking for an excuse to switch to Apple products. If you feel that's what's best for you, and how you want to spend your hard-earned money, then go for it. I don't think you should switch for spite's sake, of course, as I feel you'll miss the flexibility, freedom, customization, widgets, etc., that comes with Android.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you good luck and hope it works out for you. iOS devices aren't for me, but no doubt they are well-build and well-designed products. Apple must be doing something right. Spousal unit has a Fruit Phone and a Fruit Pad, and she loves them both.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones