• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

**If You Want to Root You NEED to do It PRIOR to the Next OTA**

Has there been any update on the really awesome fix?
Thanks,
Bryan

What fix are you referring to?

So if the dev's have to start from scratch, any chance they could develop a one-click root this time around?

The chances are highly unlikely they'll ever be a one click root. If history repeats itself with GB OTA's they may not even get root again period.

Upvote 0
AndroidPolice
Testing something really awesome right now. There's hope that we can make it available to you guys. If so, you'll see it soon. #tease

TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
interesting aye, Thunderbolt Gingerbread is in phase2 testing at Verizon. Just sayin'

Hmmmmm....

This is the fix I was wondering about :)
Any status on it?
Maybe we will be able to update with GB?
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0
it's probably the upcoming gingerbread build

this is my impression of what it was as well.

im sorry to say the days of one clicks are prolly gone. as exploits are patched the new exploits are becoming more and more complex to use.

keep your fingers crossed for unlocked or unlockable bootloaders from the mfgs... it may become the ONLY way to root on upcoming phones :(

Upvote 0

im sorry to say the days of one clicks are prolly gone. as exploits are patched the new exploits are becoming more and more complex to use.

keep your fingers crossed for unlocked or unlockable bootloaders from the mfgs... it may become the ONLY way to root on upcoming phones :(

Yeah this is the sad reality the more android advances we will be more at the mercy of the manufacturer for root access. Hopefully they will keep their promises of being root friendly

Upvote 0
Like the idea of gb at the end of the month :)

If HTC sticks to their claim of offering unlock boot then possible that GB that is coming will have the bootloader unlocked?

Will miss the one clicks, but from what I have read it looks like adb is really the better way to root, if I read it correctly. :)

Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0
If you want to root anytime in the near future, it's time to seriously consider pulling the trigger soon. This was just tweeted by TeamAndIRC on Twitter about 20 minutes ago..

TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
Thunderbolt users, if you want root, root now before the next OTA. All publicly known temproot exploits are patched in it.

This isn't uncommon as the same thing happend to the Incredible and the EVO 4G still doesn't have root after the gingerbread OTA. That's not to say we won't get root again after the upcoming OTA, but this track record speaks for itself.

This post is not to pressure anyone and it shouldn't be taken that way. This is simply to inform and let people who are "on the fence" know that they may not have an option if they don't root soon. Rooting isn't for everyone and if you don't want to root, that's fine. As I said this is for the people who are considering it.

Please don't turn this into "when is gingerbread coming to the TB" I will delete any and all posts relating to a possible OTA date.

Cheers

UPDATE:

TeamAndIRC ✔ jcase
I have vivow and mecha both running the next OTA (not released, unrootable with current methods).

This was tweeted about 2 hours ago. The OTA is coming very soon. Just another friendly reminder if you want to root you should do it ASAP. Once this new OTA rolls out you won't be able to root until JCase and crew find a new method. Which means they're basically starting from scratch all over again. This isn't to pressure anyone, it's purely for information purposes only

Thanks for this and the update as well. Ill be sure to get my cousin rooted ASAP. Do you know if the DBZ's easyroot still works on the latest OTA? I havent used it since the last OTA.

Upvote 0
Like the idea of gb at the end of the month :)

If HTC sticks to their claim of offering unlock boot then possible that GB that is coming will have the bootloader unlocked?

Will miss the one clicks, but from what I have read it looks like adb is really the better way to root, if I read it correctly. :)

Thanks,
Bryan

i would not count on htc unlocking any bootloaders on phones that have been out for awhile and allready cracked by the development community. it costs them alot of R&D to do it,and do it safely and correctly. i believe they will keep to their word,but concentrate on new phones coming out.

also,the exploits used by alpharevx on the dual core phones to sneek in an engineering bootloader,are unique to those phones- so you cant expect that either.

we cannot stress enuff that if you think you may wANt to be rooted,ever,you need to do it now. i promise you wont miss out on the GB update,youll be able to flash the same thing thats pushed over the airwaves,in recovery,and youll be able to have it before the rest of the nonrooted phones. updates are almost alwyas leaked early :cool:

plus there are the custom roms using the OTA as a base- thats where the real magic is. GB contains some upgrades,but you honestly wont be able to tell any differeces between your curretn froyo rom and the GB update. it will be the same sense 2.1,and thus is not going to really look or feel any different at all. if you root,you can run a custom GB rom with a sense 3.0 port,or you can run pure AOSP gingerbread,or you can run famous cyanogenmod GB. lots of options for rooted phones.

im not trying to push anyone either,i just want folks to understand what till happen,and what some advantages/disadvantages are so you can make better decision. nothing wrong with staying stock and recivining OTAs if thats what you really want to do. just realize it means no eye candy and may be permanent :eek: ;)

adb is the better way to root the TB. the so called "easy root" methods for it are doing nothing nore than automating the auto root process,and have provin to be not very reliable for some people. ive seen a few instances where an easy root left the user on unsafe,buggy downgrade firware,and/or without an engineering s-off bootloader :eek:

the oneclicks of the past have used an exploit kown as rage against the cage,that basically sneeks the root access files onto the phone by side-loading an app. from there its easy to add recovery,tho in some cases a littlemore work to add an s-off bootloader. but this exploit made it easy to run an app that produced a rooted OS and a custom recovery,wish most folks were perfectly happy with.

unfortunately,this exploit does not work on newer phones. at least,not htc phones. it does still work on the revolution.

an esploit for the TB was found in older firmware,so the root process involves doing some things to make the s-on bootloader let you downgrade to this firmware. it then gains permanent root,unlocks the mmc,and writes the s-off bootloader. once thats done, it simply flashes a modified ruu with root access and custom recovery,just like it was stock. thats why the root process now is somewhat complex,and requires flashing 2 different,large file RUUs via the bootloader.

Reactions: trapperjohn
Upvote 0
Thanks for this and the update as well. Ill be sure to get my cousin rooted ASAP. Do you know if the DBZ's easyroot still works on the latest OTA? I havent used it since the last OTA.

No clue if the easy root works or not. Some people have had issues using some easy roots since the last update because the date of the files they were trying to use. The manual method has been tested many times and really isn't that hard.

Upvote 0
No clue if the easy root works or not. Some people have had issues using some easy roots since the last update because the date of the files they were trying to use. The manual method has been tested many times and really isn't that hard.

But its not my phone and I hate adb. To be fair I hated dos too. Lol. I'll give it a try. It's not failed me yet.

Upvote 0
But its not my phone and I hate adb. To be fair I hated dos too. Lol. I'll give it a try. It's not failed me yet.

Do what works for you. I think most the problems with it were people downloading files that should have been updated, something about you can downgrade the firmware on the phone. Everyone I've seen who got an error with one of the easy root methods was able to get it working after some time so I doubt there is anything to worry about.

Upvote 0
I hate adb.

whaaaa :eek:

i love adb after messing with it a bit and becoming more comfortable. too bad youre not close enuff to dayton,oh to drop by with it,id root it for ya no prollem :)

the issues ive see with the easy roots are the process not being completed,leaving people on buggy downgrade firware,and/or an s-on bootloader. if you choose to do an easy root,just make sure it works,and leaves you on 1.12.605.6 or newer firmware(depend on how old the method is),and make sure youre s-off after.

and of course,youll need to flash at least the rooted mr2 rom if he doesnt want to flash a custom rom right away,as youll have the "phone trying to update" prollem if you try and run old rooted stock firmware.

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
whaaaa :eek:

i love adb after messing with it a bit and becoming more comfortable. too bad youre not close enuff to dayton,oh to drop by with it,id root it for ya no prollem :)

the issues ive see with the easy roots are the process not being completed,leaving people on buggy downgrade firware,and/or an s-on bootloader. if you choose to do an easy root,just make sure it works,and leaves you on 1.12.605.6 or newer firmware(depend on how old the method is),and make sure youre s-off after.

and of course,youll need to flash at least the rooted mr2 rom if he doesnt want to flash a custom rom right away,as youll have the "phone trying to update" prollem if you try and run old rooted stock firmware.

Lol thanks man, I'm already rooted and I did it with DBZS autoroot. The biggest problem I had was remembering to fix permissions. Lol. I was a noob. I dislike adb because I have zero patience. If I have to do anything on my phone I normally use root explorer to do it.

Upvote 0

Isn't it a good thing that these holes are being patched? More security?

Upvote 0
Isn't it a good thing that these holes are being patched? More security?

from that aspect,and at least concerning the gingerbreak exploit,yes. as long as htc keeps their promise to provide us with unlockable bootloaders,it will not matter if exploits are patched in the source code,as an unlocked bootloader is always a way in,all thats needed is to flash a custom recovery via hboot or flastboot,then flash the superuser app and files in recovery.

i for one would not want to compromise the safety of peoples personal information at the expense of rooting,so hopefully either:
1)new exploits are found,and htc doesnt purposely patch ones that are not a security issue(the LG revolution is a new device that is still rootable via on old exploit,know as "rage against the cage" simply by running a 1 click app caleed Z for root)
or
2)bootloaders start coming from htc unlocked,or at least locked and unlockable with a publicly available key.

its also possible to avoid this situation with the TB by rooting prior to applying the gingerbread update. the current firmware is still rootlable,and the OTA updates will always be made availble to flash in clockwork recovery,so your phone can always run the most current rooted software. root now and youll be able to remain that way as long as you want :)

Reactions: McLabia
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say this thread finally pushed me over the edge to root. I rooted my Moto Droid and Incredible pretty much ASAP but for some reason I'd been holding off with the TB. Used the standard ADB method and also watched the YouTube video, although they are pretty much identical. For anyone on the fence about rooting, it was very easy.

I loaded up CM7 RC 1.3 and I'm very happy with that. If I can get Google Talk video chat working tonight I will be absolutely ecstatic. Guess I finally got bored with the Sense UI.

Finally, thank you to everyone for all the helpful threads, links, etc!!!

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Currently you would use the manual root method here [ROOT] MR1/OTA PermRoot + Unlock Bootloader - Safer/Easier 5/12/2011 - xda-developers

Right after you will need to flash the rooted MR2 (or another rom) and radio of your choosing. It isn't very hard to do once you get ADB set up I actually helped someone root over these forums last night.

Just curious since MR2 has been out is there a reason the procedure doesn't already have MR2 incorporated from the start?
Thanks,
Bryan

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones