• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

In my day ...

There was something to be said for adjustable skates. My youngest daughters had to have inline skates when they were all the rave. They didn't become proficient at skating before they outgrew their skates. We didn't revisit skating. Skates, jaxs, jump ropes, and the like weren't the thing for girls as when I was a kid. Boys skated some but the girls would skate all day... every day.

Upvote 0
I wound up spending a few hundred bucks on skate boots then the same again on high end "trucks" (wheels and axles) for high speed and jumping. Spent close to a year doing only that, skating and sleeping and racing downhill burning out expensive sealed bearings. Wasn't easy wheeling and dealing to get the parts at first, but I started betting and winning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In my day.... my school days up to my early teens, ('69 -'74) if someone had to go to the dentist, or have an injury or ailment looked at, and was pretty worried and scared about it ... the thing we'd say to them was that it's going to be absolutely fine, mountain out of a mole hill, you'll feel silly when you get back and tell us,..... but "if you DO snuff it, can I have your roller skates?".

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
In my day.... my school days up to my early teens, ('69 -'74) if someone had to go to the dentist, or have an injury or ailment looked at, and was pretty worried and scared about it ... the thing we'd say to them was that it's going to be absolutely fine, mountain out of a mole hill, you'll feel silly when you get back and tell us,..... but "if you DO snuff it, can I have your roller skates?".

Along with "if it don't kill ya, it'll make ya stronger".

Upvote 0
Along with "if it don't kill ya, it'll make ya stronger".

The thing is, virtually none of us at school owned roller skates.
They were very popular at the time. I lived near a city centre with very steep streets everywhere. I don't know if that would encourage or deter skating :thinking:

It was just a funny thing to say; and not much comfort to the terrified individual.

Upvote 0
2b8800ab-a686-4205-8e9a-d81a8faa0d22-jpeg.484184

Upvote 0
The thing is, virtually none of us at school owned roller skates.
They were very popular at the time. I lived near a city centre with very steep streets everywhere. I don't know if that would encourage or deter skating :thinking:

It was just a funny thing to say; and not much comfort to the terrified individual.

We had some good hills to run. My best speed on roller skates was 53 mph according to the radar gun that cop had

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones