• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Incredible using Gorilla Glass? HTC says so...

I called the 1st day I had the Incredible (the day it was released) and HTC told me that it was untreated normal run of the mill glass and they recommended a screen protector

On the other hand, I have seen the gorilla glass propaganda video and it is miss leading considering both my Droid and my buddy's girls Droid are scratched. I used a screen protector on the Moto droid, saw the video, stopped using the protector and it got scratched in less than 2 week

Upvote 0
Considering there are already multiple people with scratched screens, I would put a ton of money on it NOT being Gorilla Glass.

If any of you are familiar with Cowon, makers of the best MP3 players ever, they use Gorilla Glass on their players. I never had a screen protector on any of my Cowon's. I had a Cowon S9 for over a year and that thing NEVER had any scratches whatsoever with normal use. Not even a tiny scratch. Nothing, nada.

Now for the past month or so, I have their new MP3 player the J3. Same thing, no scratches at all. In short, I've never had any type of scratch on a Cowon MP3 player with Gorilla Glass.

So I highly, highly doubt the Incredible has Gorilla Glass.

I have the S9 and am in the same boat, it almost cannot be scratched. No screen protector and I beat the crap out of it, and it's still perfect.

The incredible is nowhere near the same gorilla glass as the S9, if it is even gorilla glass at all. I already have a tiny scratch on mine from the first few days of use without a protector.

Upvote 0
I think that WizeGuyDezignz is careful with his electronics. Some are not careful at all, and even Gorilla Glass can be scratched by something harder, say diamonds. A wedding ring and a DROID in the same pocket would be bad. I have never scratched any glass electronics (a couple of shallow scratches on my Eris, which is a plastic polymer, and my Sansa Fuze is pretty scratched up from a quarter in the same pocket, but it's really weak plastic) but some people actually need their screen protectors and cases.

Upvote 0
I have a DROID 2 and I dropped a pool cue on my screen and a cue ball from about 4 feet on my screen and it seems indestructible :) I LOVE GORILLA GLASS and ANDROID!!! :D

I just tried this based on your advice and my screen exploded :(

Just kidding of course, but just for the safety of other members nobody else should be trying this feat of insanity..... :D

GMB

Reactions: Stupifier
Upvote 0
I dropped my Incredible the other day from about 3-4ft and it hit on the glass side against a corner wood piece under the desk here at work. The plastic around the screen scratched but the screen is perfect.

On the other hand, I put my keys in my pocket not too long ago and it gave my screen a little scratch. Have a protector on it now...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones