• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Insufficient storage space? don't think so.

jayman73

Apr 14, 2012
I get this message when trying to update or download some apps from the market. I say some because some work just fine. I have 7gb of free space. I tried to download a app that was less than 1mb and got this message then I tried to download a app that was 25mb and it worked fine, so storage is not the issue. I tried clearing data and cache and I still get the message.
angry_smile.gif
I have tried clearing cache in recovery also tried safe mode, removed play store updates. This is not a storage issue or play store issue. I tried installing an apk without using play store and it still failed. I'm rooted.

For what it's worth... I'm an A500 Acer tablet owner as well as Motorola Razr owner. When they did the ICS update on the tablet it caused a big stink because we were all getting the drive full problem. Turns out that the ICS has a memory leak problem. The only way to get the drive space back is to root the device and remove the offending text files manually. The GPS writes text files to the data/gps folder and they do not automaticly delete. They just keep building up till you run out of drive space. So, one way to remove them is to do a factory reset. The other, after you root it is to go in to the root folder and find the data/gps file and one by one, delete them. You can only see the files if you are rooted. Hope this might help. Like I said, it's a problem we had with the Acer A series tablets, so I'm not sure if this is the problem here or not. If you want more info go to the Acer A500 forum here and look at the solutions we have there.

Upvote 0
This thread will help explain app storage, data partitions and how they're used, and what the Play Store doesn't (that last one is in the last post) -

http://androidforums.com/threads/qu...ruth-read-me-first-now-with-ram-truth.906249/

Short thread, informative reading.

Check if your device can be booted into a factory or recovery mode where the cache partition can be erased. Google is your friend on the startup procedure.

You can clear data for any app without rooting - settings, Apps, All, choose app and clear data.

If you have apps that are handy but you don't care about the data, back them up to your SD using Astro or ES File Explorer, uninstall them, and temporarily reinstall when necessary.

We all have apps that we don't want to lose but don't use often - try the above strategy with those.

Having cleared some space, you can try the very small apps mentioned in the link above to see the truth about where your storage is.

Hope this helps! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones