• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Insurance or Case... But why both?

It's kinda like having a condom I'd rather have one and not need it than need one and not have it.

Got a whole new phone and the best part of that was it didn't affect my upgrade eligibility so now I'm sitting on a brand new bberry waiting on my evo.

Definitely worth $7 a month:D

condom - LMAO - good analogy!

Now you can get some good money for it if you trade it in, since it's brand new!!! Just take good care of it until next Friday!

Upvote 0
I don't ever recommend buying cell phone insurance, unless the nature of your work or leisure predisposes you to loss or damage. Purchasing insurance would only be beneficial if you needed to file a claim within the first couple of months of having it.

Any electronic problems are covered by the warranty, right? I presume that's good for a year. So insurance really only protects you from physical damage or loss. But even then, with a $100 deductible and $7 a month, if you lose the phone after exactly one year, you'll pay out $184 total for a replacement phone. I have to imagine that you could buy a replacement for a year-old model on eBay for that much, if not less.

Upvote 0
Well thats kinda the whole point of insurance, you never know what life is going to throw at you. It doesn't matter if you live in a bubble, its sometimes the other people you have to worry about. Just because you are a safe driver doesn't mean you wont have an accident. But hey to each his or her own. I'd rather be safe than sorry myself.

I don't like peanut butter, but I like peanut butter crunch:D:D:D:D:D:D

Upvote 0
Well thats kinda the whole point of insurance, you never know what life is going to throw at you. It doesn't matter if you live in a bubble, its sometimes the other people you have to worry about. Just because you are a safe driver doesn't mean you wont have an accident. But hey to each his or her own. I'd rather be safe than sorry myself.

Yeah, I don't disagree with that. But while you don't know what life's going to throw at you, you DO know that you're going to be paying at least $168 of insurance over the contract (assuming they make you commit to the whole 2 years). It's just a matter of weighing the certain loss of $168 versus an uncertain possibility of loss or damage.

Now if they let you buy insurance for the first six months of the contract and then drop it, then I'd definitely pay the premiums too. It's just that 1.5 years from now when the phone is $100 on eBay, it seems wrong to have paid $126 to that point and then an additional $100 deductible to get a new phone. You could have put the $7 in a cookie jar every month and had money left over.

But, as you rightly say, to each his or her own. I have a pretty high risk tolerance.

Upvote 0
FYI - I'm leaning towards Sprint's TEP because in my opinion, the cost for what you get is either comparable or better than Squaretrade, Wirefly's Protection plan, Best Buy's, Radio Shacks or any other that I have seen so far.

Any thoughts?

Square trade $30 off premium smartphone warranty code:
THIRTY30

Normally $144 for 2 years ($6/mo)
with $30 discount = $114 for 2 years ($4.75/mo)

Cell Phone Insurance Alternative | Cellphone Insurance Alternative | Cell Phone Warranty | Cellphone Warranty | SquareTrade Warranties

"Cancel anytime and get the unused portion of your warranty price back. Cancellation within the first 60 days will receive a full refund. Cancellations beyond 60 days receive a pro-rated refund.

Additionally, you can transfer your warranty anytime at no charge. All accidental damage claims (e.g. drops, spills, and water damage) are subject to a $50 deductible.

Normal failures like battery failures are not subject to a deductible"

Sprint total for 2 years is $168 ($7/mo) with $100 ded.

Upvote 0
Square trade

Have warned dozens of times, if they offer you cash, they will have to report the accident to the clearing house. Which means any form of insurance/credit you have will be negatively effected. You are going to save about 200 bucks only to have your credit get hit, and your other insurances go up by 500-1000 dollars a year. Not worth it.

Upvote 0
Have warned dozens of times, if they offer you cash, they will have to report the accident to the clearing house. Which means any form of insurance/credit you have will be negatively effected. You are going to save about 200 bucks only to have your credit get hit, and your other insurances go up by 500-1000 dollars a year. Not worth it.

Can you prove this?

Upvote 0
i've been a case hater since birth and will continue to be. it's akin to having plastic covers on couches to me. a couple dings or whatever after 2 years is no biggy- it's just a phone. i usually keep insurance around until i see used prices drop to reasonable levels. (maybe 6 months or so)
modern phones are designed to look nice and then people go and put hideous cases on them to "protect" them for.... um.... ?
silicone cases? just as lame.
i would consider a "screen protector" but i dont even think that's necessary.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones