• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

iPhone 5 live launch

Status
Not open for further replies.
To their credit, that A6 chip is supposedly a beast. The only thing that I was impressed by was the camera features. On paper, it's got some great specs. Otherwise, it was a typical annual release by Apple.

I would like to question wtf they were thinking with that stupid resolution though. 1160 x 640? Is that a joke?

Yeah that's odd resolution not even 720p... kinda weird but who cares.

Upvote 0
The media's been selling the i5 for months and there's also the built in izombies that will buy anything apple sells without a thought. The thing could look and perform like a 60's era princess phone and it would still sell tens of millions. Hopefully, another somewhat lackluster release will finally start putting a dent into the reality distortion field, but I'm probably dead wrong about that.

Reactions: fr4usty
Upvote 0
Personally, the two things that would make me the maddest if I was an iPhone user would be the new connection and the fact that I'd have to wait for all the devs to update their apps.

If I was buy Apple's cables at $20 a pop and I now had to go out and get and adapter I'd be mad. Obviously the new connection doesn't do anything really different if an adapter will make it work the same. Do it is more like a micro usb, but is that an advantage? Just another thing to give Apple money for, IMHO.

The fact that there is no scaling in the OS and developers are going to have to "adjust" their apps for the new screen size boggles my mind. If you saw any of the pictures of CNN and Open Table (two apps they showed) the old version gave you a black border around the app so that the 3.5" version fit on the 4" screen. The new 4" version of the apps looked like complete rewrites. This isn't going to make customers or developers happy.

As others have said, pretty lack luster showing today. I think they spent more time on the new nano than they did the iPhone. I'm disappointed because I figured this would be driving some sort of innovation into the market place, which would be good for all of us. The lack of NFC was a huge disappointment though.

Reactions: breadnatty08
Upvote 0
tumblr_ma90fzwn4p1rr5f9bo1_500.jpg

Upvote 0
I'm disappointed. I really hoped Apple would come out with something extremely innovative and thus drive Android to come out with cooler stuff. Instead they basically took features from current Android phones and added them. The only thing I saw that was innovative is 8 hours on LTE. I would like to see that tested though.

Upvote 0
I'm disappointed. I really hoped Apple would come out with something extremely innovative and thus drive Android to come out with cooler stuff. Instead they basically took features from current Android phones and added them. The only thing I saw that was innovative is 8 hours on LTE. I would like to see that tested though.

The Razr Maxx actually doubles that. The Razr Maxx HD is said to double that with a 4.7" HD screen.

Upvote 0
The Razr Maxx actually doubles that. The Razr Maxx HD is said to double that with a 4.7" HD screen.

Yeah, but it's got a freaking ginormous battery. The Iphone 5 does it without it. If those numbers are true that's a huge improvement though I'd like to see it tested.

A guy in my cube at work just told me that the iPhone 5 is the greatest phone ever made (his exact words). He says that this is further proof that Apple implements things better than any other OEM. He couldn't give details though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but it's got a freaking ginormous battery. The Iphone 5 does it without it. If those numbers are true that's a huge improvement though I'd like to see it tested.

A guy in my cube at work just told me that the iPhone 5 is the greatest phone ever made (his exact words). He says that this is further proof that Apple implements things better than any other OEM. He couldn't give details though.

There is no telling what size battery is in the i5. Apple typically doesn't release those specs. As far as the Razr Maxx's battery goes, it may be huge, but the dimensions aren't that different from Apples.

When people say thing like that just smile and say, "I never did mind the little things." Then I'll throw in something like, "You keep living the dream for the rest of us."

Reactions: Hadron and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Agreed nothing Drastically new ! but i think what ever they made, makes a bit of sense ..
I mean, have a look at the Galaxy Note Phones ...
They will never fit into onces hand .. Even S3 has a size that Does not really suit the hand's size ...

Though time for developers though , ( Wouldn't Just Pictures scaling will do the Job ? (not into iphone development) )
like we have in Android (MDPI , HDPI sizes e.t.c) ...

+ the epic fault , no NFC ??? :rofl: ... in a device that is launched in this time of Year ?

Upvote 0
Thinking about this (when I should be thinking about other stuff!)...

I don't think it would be Apple's way to announce "this phone has NFC capability" with nothing to back it up. They'd want to have something in place that a lot of people could do with it and spring that in the announcement (or at least that's what SJ would have done). So maybe they just haven't been able to get that sort of buy-in set up yet?

The thing about the Note is that it's a niche market, but a much bigger one than I think many of us would have guessed. Credit to Samsung for getting that right (though to be fair Sammy's model often seems to be "throw a lot of stuff at the wall and see what sticks").

The thing that both myself and my daughter (who owns a 4s) thought was that apart from 4G (merits to be proven for us Brits!) it doesn't actually do anything new (and LTE is only new to iPhone, not Android). Siri last year was probably more significant and interesting, for all that people complained about the lack of innovation in the 4s.

But the black version looks nice - not sold on the white (and my daughter hates the white - though she hates white iPhones full stop).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones