• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Is there a way to disable car mode?

I, too, have only experienced this mysterious Car Mode since being upgraded to 2.2.1. It happens mostly when I go to answer a call and can never answer the call (I'm not in a car nor do I have the phone docked). When one exits Car Mode you end up at the Home screen and I haven't yet found out how to get to an answerable phone from there.

There is no setting that leads me to believe I can disable Car Mode.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Dennis

Upvote 0
Car Mode would pop up constantly on my HTC Incredible 2. It had nothing to do with the usb. Most times, the phone wasn't even plugged it and Car Mode would still pop up and Yes, I could click on it and diable it. For about 5 secs, then it was back. The worst part was that it would force-close the program that I was in to launch. It took me about 8 hours of research. Car Mode is a system app, and therefore can not be removed like other applications. You have to root your phone then delete, freeze or rename. Ok by me, but rooting apparently isn't stable yet for the Incredible 2 if you have a later os version than 2.2. Guess what? I have 2.3. No problem, how do i revert. Oh, i find out, you can't without resetting the phone to factory, which by the way is what verizon support suggested. I thought not before I back up, but lo and behold you can't back up more than contacts and pics without rooting. Arrrrgh! Next, I looked for an app to help me battle this devil Car Mode, so I tried apps from Amazon and market:
Advanced task killer Free
Astro
Gemini App Manager
Dock Nothingness
Dock no-op
Disable car home
and NONE of them worked, at least for the Incredible 2.
I had a new idea, if you can't beat them, join them so I installed the latest version of Car Dock Home, hoping that at least it would give the option to not launch. Nope, didn't work. Luckily, I'm good at my job just because I don't give me 'easily'. Anyway, finally on my 14th try, I used 'DockNothing Free' from Amazon. At first, I also didn't think this worked either. There was no input screen or settings but that's because the app doesn't initiate until the Car Mode launches, then it allows you to choose to select DockNothing as the default program. I had to do that 3 times: 1) Car Panel 2)Car Dock 3)Home Dock. Now I actually see a little popup that says 3 tasks killed. YEA!

Sorry for the long post, but I'll bet if you're here, you are going crazy because of Car Mode. And I read a lot more than just this post to get mine fixed. :)
ps. Car Mode actually looks pretty neat and seems useful IN THE CAR. But I have been too afraid to release the monster to check it out. I might at the next update. Might....

Upvote 0
for the love of god! thankyou gborcher! the Car mode thing had been bugging me for the last few days. i didn't have that problem before Gingerbread, but now its trying to kill me. Googled it a few times everybody seems to have no idea what is causing it. it just keeps popping up when ever it wants and ruin my life. you are the only one that I have come across that actually seems to know what to try. I will try your mathod and hope it will work for me too.

just downloaded docknothing... it seems like it does absolutly nothing either... it doesn't block the stupid car mode... didn't ask me to do anything it just allows the car porcess my phone....

Upvote 0
Hi i saw someone else put how to get rid of the random car mode that keeps popping up and crashing apps, and i'm just going to explain it a bit better as i think this option is prob on most android phones but its just a case of finding it. I am using a Desire, by the way, and this is how i got rid of it...

Hold anywhere on screen to bring up options
Select 'shortcuts'
Select 'settings'
Select 'car dock' (this will put the car dock icon on desktop)
Select the car dock icon
Turn off auto-launch
Sorted!!

Hope that helps as this was doing my fkin head in too.

Upvote 0
Car mode has been popping up EVERY TIME I plug my phone in to charge!!! In the beginning when I would plug it in to the wall charger it would randomly select icons and be SLOW AND DELAYED when I would text. I would hit the sleep button and it would be perfectly fine!! Unless I unplugged the charger and it would freeze up n randomly select icons and go into random apps. Since I did some upgrade it ONLY pulls up the car mode when I charge it on ANY CHARGER now. Im so done with this phone that isn't even 4 months old!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Car mode has been popping up EVERY TIME I plug my phone in to charge!!! In the beginning when I would plug it in to the wall charger it would randomly select icons and be SLOW AND DELAYED when I would text. I would hit the sleep button and it would be perfectly fine!! Unless I unplugged the charger and it would freeze up n randomly select icons and go into random apps. Since I did some upgrade it ONLY pulls up the car mode when I charge it on ANY CHARGER now. Im so done with this phone that isn't even 4 months old!!!!!!

I didn't read the entire thread so I don't if that app is mentioned as a solution ;)

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.megagram.docknoop

But note that the app also eliminates a desk dock mode :eek:

Harry

Upvote 0
im having a similar issue but im using ICS. when my phone restarts it always comes up in car mode.... i hve no idea wht car mode is on ICS as it doesnt do anything but put an icon in the top of the status bar. its annoying as hell considering there are no settings, no program to turn it on or off, it cant be activated manually and there are no settings. i was told it was "dirt or dust" in one of the ports on the bottom of my phone in a different forum, that is not the case at all with this phone. anyone have any ideas how to kill this damn thing? none of the apps can recognize this app opening i guess as none of them kill it or replace it.

Upvote 0
im having a similar issue but im using ICS. when my phone restarts it always comes up in car mode.... i hve no idea wht car mode is on ICS as it doesnt do anything but put an icon in the top of the status bar. its annoying as hell considering there are no settings, no program to turn it on or off, it cant be activated manually and there are no settings. i was told it was "dirt or dust" in one of the ports on the bottom of my phone in a different forum, that is not the case at all with this phone. anyone have any ideas how to kill this damn thing? none of the apps can recognize this app opening i guess as none of them kill it or replace it.

just an fyi this is the evo 4g forums and we do not have ICS officially. what phone do you have? are you rooted? it could be a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
I had this issue until recently and it drove me insane since I am in and out of the car all day. Here's what I did to solve the problem:
When car mode pops up agree to terms and click next until it shows you the home screen".
Then go to settings and simply remove the check near "connect automatically when bluetooth connects" (or something like it)
That should do the trick.
I unpaired and repaired my phone after for safety measure but I think it's not necessary.
Hope it works for you!
Drive safely!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones