• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Is this phone worth 530$ ?

Nexus One worth 530$ ?

• Yes !

Votes: 51 38.9%
  • No !

Votes: 40 30.5%
  • Ehh Maybe...but will wait for price drop.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Not really so Ill opt for subsidized...

Votes: 6 4.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
The info that is known right now is that google & TMobile is combining the worst of the US & Euro markets...

Europe unsubsidized Phone prices + US subsidize Phone Plan prices... = Getting clover on both ends... ($540+$80 a month = Nothing to see here.. Wait for the HTC Bravo)

Multiple blogos see google possibly making google voice take up the slack after the limited 500mins of the subsidize plan... But then that would mean that all that should be needed is data only for those that don't subsidize this plan from TMobile... If the Nexus One can receive & call out thru google voice... Then it would mean it can be data only...

I don't understand why it would be limited for use after the 500mins are used up... If it's capable of VoIP... Then it should just work all the time..
Data Only($20-$30 a month) 1ghz phone would make it worth $540... And the invitation only can be at first for only google voice + gizmo5 current account holders to get the service started & tested...

I am not sure what are you talking about right here? If you are willing to pay the $530 for the phone, you are stupid to use the 2 years contract price from t-mobile because not only it ties you up for 2 years, the plan price is also more expensive. The point of getting it at $530 is so you can use the cheaper no contract plan from t-mobile

T-Mobile NO contract even more plus plan is $80 for unlimited EVERYTHING or $60 for 500 mins+unlimited text and data.

screenshot20100103at112.jpg

You will only use the 500 minutes $80 plan when you purchase the phone at $180.

If you buy the phone at $530, you will probably use either
a. $60 - 500 mins with unlimited text/data
b. $70 - 1000 mins with unlimited text/data
c. $80 - unlimited everything

Just wanna set the record straight because your post does seem to me as implying that you have to use the 500 minutes 2 yrs contract PLAN with unlocked/unsubsidized phone which is absurd....

If you don't mind getting tied up in 2 years contract, you wouldn't be using T-Mobile or AT&T and especially Verizon, rather you will use Sprint with their $60 everything plus plan with unlimited any mobile any time which is practically unlimited minute as very little people don't have mobile phone nowadays.... Of course I'm saying this assuming that you get all 4 carriers in your area :)

---------

:DI

U shoud go cHEck out htc HD 2

Yeah HTC HD2 is 4.3 inch screen but it is also windows mobile phone which is not a real mobile OS anymore after the release of OSX Mobile, Android, and the facelift improvement of Blackberry OS....

An OS that requires its manufacturer to hide almost every single aspect of the operating system (HTC does a wonderful job, btw) means that it is a pathetic one :mad:

----------------

Actually, the only reason to buy an N1 come January 5th is IMHO: combination of impulse and impatience. Like other people have noted, the only special thing about this phone is that it’s the prototype snapdragon-containing phone (acer liquid is underclocked so does not count). Nothing more, nothing less. All remaining luster is due to the 2.1 OS, which will be available to other android phones, sooner or later.
Now, is having a faster processor a good reason to purchase this phone? It sure is if this was a breakthrough phone that’s coming as the most advanced of its peers. But that’s not the case: note that this phone is coming out in the first month of 2010, the first of its peers: this means that just like what happened with previous qualcomm chips, subsequent releases from the various manufacturers will most likely be snapdragons. Competition will then be based on UI, screen size and technology, FM, media, etc. make no mistake, within three months, two or three phones with better specs will come out, and will probably have android 2.5 or something. At that point, all those who will have bought a N1 will lament their purchase.
Off course, you can counter argue this position by claiming that if one keeps waiting for the better phone, one would never buy a phone. But while smart phones keep getting upgraded, certain models seem to be the most popular. For instance, consider android; the hero and droid seem to be the most popular phones and they both came after the g1. Now consider the iphone; the 3g and 3gs are the more popular models; they both came after the first iphone. The N1 is just the first fast android phone. Who knows what will be released in February or march? Compared to the N1, the X10 offers more: larger screen, better ui, and most definitely better camera. Again, never underestimate apple’s innovative approach. Who knows what they’re up to?

While I agree with you here that in the future, there will be a better phones based on snapdragon which will make N1 obsolete. X10, however, is not it.... Have you seen the speed of the SE UI? It feels like the last gen TouchFlo UI on a winmo phone... Slow and unresponsive. I will give them benefit of a doubt that the product is still on beta stage or whatnot, but I have yet to see any other manufacturers who are able to develop good "skin" or "ui" on top of any mobile OS (eg: winmo, or android)... except HTC with their Sense

Now, I think you're missing the point here. The point of buying unlocked unsubsidized phone to be used with no-contract plan (like even more plus plan) is that you can change at anytime! You are not tied to a contract nor you are responsible to pay for ETF if you wanna move to other providers or get a new phone.

I've personally purchased many phones at full price and it is a much better experience for me and my pocket because I know exactly what I'm paying and I'm paying for something I know I can afford.

Lastly, I just wanna post a part that I posted in xda-developers forum regarding many angry attitude towards N1 (this part is not directed towards you, anotherfandroid)

I think this angry attitude is a manifestation of our credit-driven lifestyle. Many people don't realize that paying cheaper price for a phone alongside mandatory 2 years contract (and ETFs if we decided to cancel) is more expensive. Even if they do, the fact that they can OWN the product NOW (regardless whether you can afford the whole price or not) is what makes it desirable in this part of the world.

Upvote 0
:DI

U shoud go cHEck out htc HD 2

it's winmo......

aint touchin that, not even with a ten-foot poll! no way.....besides, did you actually see vids on youtube? what up with them turgid icons? yuck!!! tacky!!

but on a more serious, and i do mean more serious, note: the HD2 has a snappy processor, a 4.3 inch screen that is LCD and yet its battery is smaller than that of my humble mytouch.... the HD2 battery is a meager 1230 :eek::eek: besides there are complaints about call quality, which is one of the (if not the most) essential functions of a communication device!

Upvote 0
Is it worth it? I think so. But that comes from a guy who buys all the latest phones (including the new Nokia N900 which was a big dissapointment). I have cash in hand, ready to buy at full price. My last Andoid phone was the G1 and although I loved the OS, I hated the hardware. I went through 3 G1's before I gave up on the wobbly flip up screeen and creaky plastic. I am VERY excited for this phone and Jan 5th cant come soon enough.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones