• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Keyboard Lag/ Disappearing Issue (FIXED)

ABRMess006

Dec 30, 2010
Londonderry, NH
If anyone has had the same issue as me, it gets very annoying. Basically what happened was every time, whether I was typing out a text or typing in the browser, just where ever... While typing, there would be weird characters up on the screen and it would be extremely laggy, then once you hit the spacebar, the word would appear, but the keyboard would disappear.

This went on for about a day and I almost chucked my phone out the window! Anyway, I ended up calling Verizon about this issue and I was on the phone for about 3 minutes and the issue got fixed.

To fix this issue (the exact way I did it over the phone):
Turn off phone
Turn on phone and immediately press and hold the Menu Button until the phone is turned on (SAFE MODE)

Once phone is on and in SAFE MODE go to:
Settings > Language and Keyboard > Multi-touch Keyboard
Scroll to the bottom and UNCHECK "Next Word Prediction"

He then had me go and unmount my SD Card and try it out and it worked perfect. I kept the phone in safe mode for a few hours then booted back into normal mode and everything worked great and haven't had the issue since.

Apparently the problem is in the OS Update and nothing with the phone, just another bug :mad:

Well hope that helps everyone!

Thanks for the tip. I have been having this problem for the past few days on the D2G which is running the same OS as the DX. I tried clearing the cache and data for my input devices as well as doing multiple battery pulls and nothing fixed the issue. Turning off the next word prediction fixed it and everything seems to be working now.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones