• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Known resource hog apps...

I'm going to have to agree with the post about Google Voice, though. Since it does not support "push" notifications like the Gmail app does, it has to be set to continually check for new stuff in the Voice Inbox every so often. I only started using it a few weeks ago, but thats about the time my battery life started being worse. I first had it set to check every 5 minutes, then upped it to 15, and then eventually 30. Now I've turned the timed polling off completely and my battery is back to perfect.

So, that means I'll just have to deal with text message notifications of new voicemail until they get PUSH working with the Google Voice app. Not as ideal of a solution, but it works. I still use the app to read/listen to voicemail.

From what I can tell, all of the visual voicemail apps do this. The only one I don't have experience with is PhoneFusion. All the others either stay on constantly keeping your wake time at 100% or drain the battery by trying to check for new mail every couple of minutes. Google Voice is the only solution I have found that works even a little. I use it in the same fashion you do though.

lockbot works fine for me, no lag.

Both lockbot and lock 2.0 caused problems with my phone for some reason. I liked the looks of lockbot, but not the function.

Upvote 0
I say Sportstap, ShopSavvy, Google Voice lol, and maybe weather bug free edition.

Anybody using something other than Sportstap. I've had it on my phone within an hour after buying it, but in the last few days, I sometimes have lag on m keyboard. This was never an issue before and now all the sudden it sometimes happens. I haven't installed anything new or changed anything. I know Sportstap contanstly runs in the background and updates. I want to try something different that works just as well, any suggestions?

ps. I do not use the widget.

Upvote 0
ebuddy has an option now to save you battery, but what it does is stop instant notification of messages and just periodically checks for new ones...kinda defeating the purpose of an instant message app.

I just installed eBuddy and tried to use that feature, I like to "appear" logged in even though I don't have the phone with me all the time but even with that checked it was still keeping my awake time climbing?? that built in google talk app doesnt keep the phone awake, are they "pushing" to that? These apps never killed my berry's battery :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
ebuddy has an option now to save you battery, but what it does is stop instant notification of messages and just periodically checks for new ones...kinda defeating the purpose of an instant message app.

I just installed eBuddy and tried to use that feature, I like to "appear" logged in even though I don't have the phone with me all the time but even with that checked it was still keeping my awake time climbing?? that built in google talk app doesnt keep the phone awake, are they "pushing" to that? These apps never killed my berry's battery :rolleyes:

I completely agree with gruss here.

I like to be on aim/fb chat all day, and if I get messages, that's great. If I'm using either chat service and having a conversation, I'll just open the app.

The battery saving portion takes effect while the program is in the BACKGROUND. If you have the app in the FOREground, you chat in real time. It's very useful and reasonable. If you're waiting for IM's, just open it up, just before you push the red button to sleep your phone.

IMs show right up. Yes, a very big battery drainer if it's in the foreground. But in the background, my battery doesn't budge an inch. It's great.

Upvote 0
I completely agree with gruss here.

I like to be on aim/fb chat all day, and if I get messages, that's great. If I'm using either chat service and having a conversation, I'll just open the app.

The battery saving portion takes effect while the program is in the BACKGROUND. If you have the app in the FOREground, you chat in real time. It's very useful and reasonable. If you're waiting for IM's, just open it up, just before you push the red button to sleep your phone.

IMs show right up. Yes, a very big battery drainer if it's in the foreground. But in the background, my battery doesn't budge an inch. It's great.

How much of a delay have you noticed in notification time when the app is in the background?

Upvote 0
I never noticed the delay cause i wasn't paying attention but delay is better than nothing. I may due it up and back back out as suggested and check awake time. Maybe being a BB user and not exiting properly was my problem?

Edit: Did as PKO said made sure it was in the background and it works as advertised! No huge battery hog and awake time is normal after leaving it sit all night, thanks!!!

Upvote 0
So this question is coming in a bit from the other end... Is there a program or app that works like a system utility, or maintenance? I understand that these are phones, and not full blown computers, but they do work primarily the same way... Would just like to be able to keep the garbage and clutter out of the way.

Any info would be much appreciated! Sorry if this has been answered previously...

Upvote 0
How much of a delay have you noticed in notification time when the app is in the background?

It really is up to 15 minutes, but that's fine when I'm running around at work.

If I leave it in the foreground when I close the app, it EATS battery, but is pretty instant.

I do find that a lot of times it drops connection and when I re-open up eBuddy I find out that it disconnected. I might need to have 'Always-On Mobile' to make this work.

Upvote 0
google voice is pretty buggy. It FC's on me every time it starts up. Now that the mobile web version of google voice is so good I really don't have a use for the app anymore.

But how do you get notified for Text messages?

I use the TasKiller to auto kill everything but Sense UI and Google Voice. My battery tends to stay pretty good, even with it set to check every 5 mins. However, it doesn't always like to check it, and it does always FC every boot up.

Really hope for push and no more FC in 2.1 or shortly after (and people tab text messages able to pull from voice and the email to pull from gmail...)

google such a good company, too bad they are slightlyyy more complicated than apple, however worlds better at functionality.

-----------

also I use the stock browser, really think it works fine...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones