• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Leaked 2.2 Froyo thread

Why would you hijack a thread about Froyo just to whine?

Seriously - it's people like you that make me tire of participating here.

I concur. We're here to have fun equally as much as we are to talk about serious things. I had fun reading your guys' posts. Anyway...back to the topic...

I am on the fence. I'm worried if I flash cognition 2.2 beta that I will have trouble or be unable to install the official update. I know I can use odin and flash back to stock firmware but I don't trust that it works 100% (I remember reading ppl had trouble with the last update even if they flashed back). I so want froyo tho but I'm probably going to wait for official. Can't be more than a month away.

Upvote 0
I am on the fence. I'm worried if I flash cognition 2.2 beta that I will have trouble or be unable to install the official update. I know I can use odin and flash back to stock firmware but I don't trust that it works 100% (I remember reading ppl had trouble with the last update even if they flashed back). I so want froyo tho but I'm probably going to wait for official. Can't be more than a month away.

For now, I'm going to just stick with the straight Froyo firmware and not go Cognition. I'm happy with the speed and battery usage thus far.

I did have a few force close issues with the news and weather (genie) app...deleting that got rid of all the issues though.

Upvote 0
For now, I'm going to just stick with the straight Froyo firmware and not go Cognition. I'm happy with the speed and battery usage thus far.

I did have a few force close issues with the news and weather (genie) app...deleting that got rid of all the issues though.

So would just flashing the stock (leaked) froyo without doing anything else allow me to easily update when the actual release comes out? If so I'm all over it. My only concern is being unable to officially update.

Upvote 0
So would just flashing the stock (leaked) froyo without doing anything else allow me to easily update when the actual release comes out? If so I'm all over it. My only concern is being unable to officially update.

Good question...and I'm not sure to be honest.

I figure if push comes to shove, I can always use one of the Odin One Clicks to go back to the original firmware, and if for some reason I can't get the update to work from there, I can use a designgears version (as he did for the last OTA).

Upvote 0
Idk if it has been mentioned, but i found a new technique in froyo for copy and paste. While in a text field you can click, drag, and select. Its a nice little addition.

What I noticed, while typing in a text box, is that they have implemented something similar to the iPhone's magnifying glass. On the iPhone, when you wanted to be precise with text you would hold down and a magnifying glass would open showing your cursor location and you could move it to a precise location for editing. In my text box I had a small blue tab appear that I was able to hold down on and move around which, in turn, moved my cursor and allowed me to place it exactly where I wanted.

I was so hoping that they would implement something like this because, without the trackball/pad, of some of the other android phones, precise text editing and selection has been hard. I know a lot of you don't have to do that much text editing on the phone, but I tend to use mine for school papers while I am at work. "Playing with my phone" isn't viewed in the same way as pulling out a laptop would be.

Upvote 0
What I noticed, while typing in a text box, is that they have implemented something similar to the iPhone's magnifying glass. On the iPhone, when you wanted to be precise with text you would hold down and a magnifying glass would open showing your cursor location and you could move it to a precise location for editing. In my text box I had a small blue tab appear that I was able to hold down on and move around which, in turn, moved my cursor and allowed me to place it exactly where I wanted.

I was so hoping that they would implement something like this because, without the trackball/pad, of some of the other android phones, precise text editing and selection has been hard. I know a lot of you don't have to do that much text editing on the phone, but I tend to use mine for school papers while I am at work. "Playing with my phone" isn't viewed in the same way as pulling out a laptop would be.

I agree its a great addition. Having to click 2-5 times to try and get the right spot sucked.

Upvote 0
Did it to mine, runs really fast now. And some other little goodies i didnt know existed.

One cool thing is your picasa google picture account now shows up as a folder in your gallery, this is pretty cool.

I lost all my apps, and lost root access though so no way to get them back on for now. :(

Upvote 0
I flashed mine with Froyo using the odin method last night, worked beautifully. Following some of the threads on here as well as some links they provided to xda, I was able to re-root, enable sideloading and remove all the bloatware with little to no difficulty. Speed is a noticable improvement, as are some of the other little tweaks and options. I'm disappointed that I still don't have the full 512mb of RAM, but hopefully that will be available when the final release hits OTA. For an early (or beta) build, this is remarkably stable and smooth. Can't wait to see what else we're in store for, but I highly recommend trying this out to anyone who's still on the fence about making the leap.

Upvote 0
Geez, relax there amigo ;) Haven't you ever hear of "shooting the breeze" or "friendly conversation" ? :eek:

In defense of picklesNickles, I also found it a bit tedious to have to scan through a bunch of irrelevant posts to get to what I wanted to know about the leaked Froyo. Can't these kinds of banter to left in pm?

Anyway, I'm trying to decide between the leaked 2.2 and the cognition 2.2. Though I've read through most of the posts in this and other Froyo threads, it's still unclear to me
1. Whether my phone will remain rooted if I go with the leaked version
2. Whether I can use a 1-click rooter if I install the leaked 2.2
3. Whether there are any benefits above lag-fixes (which I do not want) with going the Cognition route.

DW

Upvote 0
If you don't have access to a PC to use Odin to flash back and you think you'll ever want to use the official release I recommend that you don't make the jump.
It's very likely that you'll need to be on 2.1 to upgrade to the official release.

If you want to stay with the stock leaked 2.2 and want root there are ways to do it. You'll have to search around xda for those answers though because I don't have the links and don't remember the process.
If you're going to go to 2.2 and want root I recommend just upgrading to Cognition 2.2 BETA. It works splendidly and it was easier to do from 2.1 than doing the stock 2.2 and then rooting. I wouldn't recommend doing the lagfix once there, there are some issues with it and it's really not needed at all. My phone is just as snappy with Cognition 2.2 Beta without the lagfix as it was with Cognition 2.1.5 with Voodoo Lagfix.

Reactions: DaddyWhale
Upvote 0
Geez, relax there amigo ;) Haven't you ever hear of "shooting the breeze" or "friendly conversation" ? :eek:

Absolutely, and nothing wrong with it... as long as it's in the appropriate board/thread and not off-topic.

"Shooting the breeze" and "friendly conversation" goes here:
The Lounge - Android Forums

Meanwhile, it's best to keep these threads concise and on-topic for the sake of those trying to use them as a resource for self-help.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones