• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Optimus V Need Help Please

Pull battery on phone. Re-install battery. Hold down home+volume down then power,all at the same time. This will put the phone in the recovery.
When you get the Droid@screen operating, with your phone hooked up to you MAC, you will see you recovery menu. If you put a ROM (and gapps if necessary) on the sd card that is for the Hitachi screen, then you will follow the normal install procedure. Instead of looking at you phones screen you will be looking at the MAC's screen. There will be a little lag in any button selection and what you see,so go slow.

Once you got the ROM installed and rebooted twice, then download a terminal emulator and install the recovery, VM670NH recovery.img,that you put on the sd card.

Upvote 0
Sorry i'm not familiar with macs, but from the phone being off, then powering it on while plugged in - does it at any point show something about installing device drivers? (That's what happens on windows). Or if something pops up - even briefly - on mac's device manager.

If it never comes up, then it means there's simply no signal being sent to the PC at any point, which means you're pretty screwed. This occurred with my Galaxy S 4G - where I was able to use a USB Jig to get it into download mode (Samsung's version of emergency mode), but no signal is sent to the PC so it's never recognized - which means there's no way to fix it.

Basically, only thing drivers will do is, understand what is sending the signal, but if no signal is sent in the first place - there's nothing you can do from the PC to fix it.

Upvote 0
I've plugged in my phone plenty of times before, it didn't have any trouble and no driver info showed up. As far as I know Macs don't require drivers, could be wrong but I've never needed any before.

Of course macs require drivers - they're the link between hardware and software, it just might not tell you that it's installing it (I don't know, I don't use one).

Have you read this thread? Sounds like your problem.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...black-screen-custom-recovery-custom-roms.html

Upvote 0
I think wonshikee is right. I'm pretty sure Macs install drivers in the background. Again, don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that's what happens.

I have read that thread, multiple times. The problem is all of those require my phone to get recognized in usb mode, and I can't do that. If I can get that fixed, and get it connected with Droid@Screen, everything else is easy.

Upvote 0
The only thing i could think of at this point (and sounds a bit tricky/risky) is boot into recovery, even though you cant see what your doing, navigate the menu as you normally would, wipe/format(would be easier if someone had the same recovery as you, so they could tell you how to navigate.. kinda like telling a blind person how many times to press a button) and make sure to clear out your SD card as best as you can (keep all files in folders except the ROM.zip so when you chose the option 'install from sd' you just press up once, and select) place a compatible ROM.zip on the root, and install.

do you remember what recovery, and version you have?
and this is the only thing that i could think of at this point...

and at least if this works, then you should have a ROM that you could boot into, and we can proceed from there.

Upvote 0
Well if someone could suggest the easiest rom and recovery to use, I'll use that. I'm really new to this, not sure which one would be most likely to work. Chances are I'd have to go through a new recovery before I could even flash a rom right?

I do know that I used the IHO recovery from the "Rooting Without A Computer" guide in this forum.

Upvote 0
Ok, try this, Download BACKside ROM here: BACKside-IHO-VM670-02192012.zip
and place it on your sd card (and make sure any other file is in a folder and that the .zip file you downloaded is the ONLY THING on the root of your sd card)
Boot into recovery
wait about 15 seconds..
press the Volume down button 2 times
press the camera button one time
press the Volume up button 4 times
press the camera button once
wait about 10-15 minutes (while it formats your phone)
press back button
press the volume down button 3 times
press the volume up button 4 times
wait 5sec (while it wipes the cache partition)
press back button
press the volume up button 2 times
press the volume down button once
press the camera button
press volume up 4 times
press the camera button
wait 5sec(while it wipes your dalvik cache)
press back button
press volume down 4 times
press camera button
press camera button
press volume up button 1 time (it is very important that only the BACKside-IHO-VM670-02192012.zip file, was the only file on the root of your sd card.)
press camera button
press volume up button 4 times
-press camera button once-
wait 10-15minutes(while it installs the BACKside Rom)
press back button
press camera button
hopefully this will install the BACKside rom for you.. if not, im not sure what to tell you.

Upvote 0
He's usingthe IHO recovery, ClockworkMod 4.0.0.9
And now that I'm reviewing my steps, I may have accidentally left out one button press combo..
I will edit the post now.
Updated the button presses.. (forgot 1 button press that confirms the install of BACKside.)

LOL yeah that last confirmation step might help :D. Hopefully this fixes the problem!

Also I would personally recommend being a little more generous with the wait times.

Another tip, one I still don't get why everyone continues to follow.

After you factory reset via cwm, it empties data and cache, there's no reason to re-empty cache again, just need to empty dalvik-cache.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones