• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LG Volt Stock ZV5 Rooted Rom - Odex & Deodex

TWRP defaults to internal storage for backups. You can use a root file manager to move the entire TWRP folder from internal to external SD and that'll free up space. Backups can be quite large and will eat up storage space fast. When you do backups make sure the backup location is set to external.

Upvote 0
My time without signal is 82% but my battery life averages 2 to 3 days depending on usage. Time without signal seems kinda high to me, but not sure how it's measured.

I'd check settings > battery and see if any apps are killing your battery. If nothing obvious shows you could try reflashing radio to see if it help. If not reflash ROM from clean slate.

Just wanted to give an update. I reflashed the zv5 radio and battery life seems to be good again.

Reactions: bg4m3r and spocko
Upvote 0
ZV5 Stock Rom for LG Volt

These are stock rooted roms based off the new ZV5 update for the LG Volt. These are full rom with no bloat removed so they can be customized to your liking or used as a base for your own creations. Both the Odexed and Deodexed versions are rooted.

Disclaimer

*I have tested these on my phone and everything is working perfectly. By downloading and flashing this you agree that I will not be responsible if anything should go wrong and your phone Bricks, Breaks or Explodes!

*Always make a backup in recovery before flashing anything, including these roms. If you are not sure how to properly install these roms, please ask before flashing!

*Any changes made to the system partition will be lost (apps converted to system, buildprop tweaks, theming, etc) as these zips wipes the system partition to avoid conflicting files.

Prerequisites

- Custom Recovery Installed

-ZV5 Radio Recommended - See here for info

Known Issues

- Bluetooth Mac address will be the same on all devices using either ROM. Not a problem if you only have a 1 volt or you don't use Bluetooth. Working on fix.

- May be some issues if dirty installing on a phone running Lunk2sd.

- Deodexed ROM will not work with ART runtime

Download and Instructions in second post

Do you know where I can find a "Complete Idiots Guide to Building a Custom ROM and Kernal". I wish to dive further into the complexities of android, not just rooting my devices and tinkering, and become a dev' but I can't find really concise instructions on how to build a custom ROM and Kernel. Any suggestions?

Reactions: xman95
Upvote 0
So I did a full wipe and a flashed the odex version of this ROM. Everything is working great. Even have art enabled. This phone has never ran this well. Thanks for putting this ROM together. I get no lag spikes, slow downs or halting. Games play clean too. This is how it should have ran from the box. Thank you again.

Upvote 0
Successfully flashed a rooted zv4 with the zv5 rooted deodexed rom and zv5 radio. The process was very smooth and no data was lost. The first thing I notice is that it has a better battery life than zv4. Many thanks to OP and everyone who have provided all the necessary info and links.:)
So you didn't have to do a factory reset? Is there anything not working right? People have complained about not being able to change fonts, getting VPN errors, and other random glitchy things and had to factory reset to fix it. I've suspected that it was due to skipping from zv3 to zv5, but haven't had the chance to test the theory.

Upvote 0
So you didn't have to do a factory reset? Is there anything not working right? People have complained about not being able to change fonts, getting VPN errors, and other random glitchy things and had to factory reset to fix it. I've suspected that it was due to skipping from zv3 to zv5, but haven't had the chance to test the theory.

I did restore user app but I have to reinstall Viper4, Xposed framework though. No problem changing font; other apps seem working fine. I do not use VPN but then no problem adding new vpn server in setting. Overall, I do not experience any issues in general.

Reactions: bg4m3r
Upvote 0
I did restore user app but I have to reinstall Viper4, Xposed framework though. No problem changing font; other apps seem working fine. I do not use VPN but then no problem adding new vpn server in setting. Overall, I do not experience any issues in general.
Cool. I will have to add that info into the rooting guide. :)

You didn't do a wipe before installing either right?

Upvote 0
Thanks a lot for the rooted zv5.

I was getting Authentication Error when I tried to Update Profile. I noticed that the WiFi Mac address was changed to the common one after flashing the "ZV5 Full Odexed Rooted". The problem was easily fixed by following post 54 by ru7hl3ss.

That did not fix the Authentication Error. This is what I did regarding activation/profile update
1. I activate the LG Volt to RingPlus service when the phone was on zv4 by dunjuro.
2. I did Update Profile & Update PRL to get the phone number working.
3. Then I updated the Odexed zv5 from here and did Update Profile & Update PRL.
4. I deactivated RingPlus service about a week ago.
5. I signed up for freedompop service today.
6. When I tried to Update Profile, I got Authentication Error repeatedly.

It looks like I can try
1. Do a clean zv5 installation and try the Update profile. (Tried)
2. Restore back to zv4 and try the Update profile. (Tried)
3. Problem on the freedompop side? (this could be a long process)

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to say, I flashed this because I was on the debloated odexed ROM and things just seemed a little off. I made a backup, flashed the full odexed ROM, restored data from my backup and rebooted. Aside from having to reinstall a couple apps that I had converted to system apps and do my own debloating (which I prefer anyway), I lost no data and everything is running so smoothly now! Thanks for putting up the new ROMs!

This was also done with some stuff moved with link2sd. As of the new version, I got rid of the second partition and only moved data and OBB files. Moved some apps with the native move to SD function.

Upvote 0
It was supposed to have been, but looks like somehow when I rebuilt the roms I must have got the old updater script. I'll fix it and reupload.

You can flash the following file in recovery to fix the issue.

https://mega.co.nz/#!7ENmxQqZ!6dxFHiToth6z4ypY7Lut3Q5MUYMorTaVM1FUx6bQKjA

Thanks for the link kwknott, but I used a file explorer and did the fix ru7hl3ss mentioned in post #55 in this thread when fix #2 link was dead. Awesome job on the ROMs man! Thanks again! It's very easy to fix:

Make sure Wi-Fi is turned off and then go to location /system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/ with your file explorer.
Delete the "WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini" and "WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin" files.
Go to location /data/misc/wifi/ and copy the "WCNSS_qcom_cfg.ini" and "WCNSS_qcom_wlan_nv.bin" files.
Place the file copies in location /system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima/ and then exit file explorer.
Turn on Wi-Fi and check MAC address.
You should now be seeing your true MAC address from factory.
Reboot and check again.

Reactions: spocko
Upvote 0
Hey guys! I deleted the Visual VoiceMail app and now I don't get the notification when someone leaves me a VM like on my other phones. I don't like the Visual VoiceMail app on the phone. I like it old school and simple. Any ideas?

Edit:
I called up Boost Mobile and they couldn't help much. They said I was already set up for reqular VM.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones