• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LiQuID FroZeN YoGurT v1.6 (FRG22D BuILT FRoM SoUrCE!!! GeT iT FaST BeFoRE iT MeLTs!!!)

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 49 68.1%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 16 22.2%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a quick question for you more experienced people. When I update to 1.7 from 1.6 do I need to wipe data & cache or can I just apply the update?

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO MAY HAVE BOOKMARKED THIS GUIDE, PLEASE USE THIS ONE INSTEAD: http://androidforums.com/liquid0624/209696-liquid-frozen-yogurt-v1-8-liquid-h2o-edition-source-rom-happy-halloween.html#post1822958 -- I've updated it to ensure there aren't problems with Liquid Tweaks. I found out the hard way that the same advice I give in Step 7 of this new guide, for going from 1.71 to 1.8, also applies when going from 1.71 or 1.8 to 1.9.

I ALWAYS wipe and start clean when downloading a new ROM. When I DL the final release version later today, I'll wipe again and start fresh even though I'm now running the really close to final test 1.7 version from Saturday. It takes a little extra time and effort, but it's so worth it in the problems you avoid.

Here's how I do it:

1. Purchase the license for Titanium Backup (TiBu) if you don't already have it -- it's worth it -- and go to Batch and use "Backup all user apps + system data."

2. Do a nandroid backup of your current setup, then, using ClockworkMod Recovery, do a factory reset (wipe data and cache), then go into the partitions menu and do a wipe of boot, then of system (even though 1.7 will wipe system and boot for you, I do it myself anyway).

3. Install the ROM zip file.

4. Touch the top left, then the top right, then the bottom right, then the bottom left (in a square pattern) of the screen to skip Google sign in.

5. Make sure you have "Unknown sources" checked in System>Applications.

6. Open TiBu and go into Preferences and make sure you have "Force to same location" checked (this will then make sure your apps and data are restored to the device and SD card, as applicable, exactly as they were when you did your backup).

7. Go into Batch and and start with "Restore missing apps + all system data" -- but here's the important thing: press "Deselect all" and ONLY check the items in GREEN (this will restore all your call log, SMS/MMS, accounts, wifi and bluetooth connections, etc.). If you restore the stuff in red, you're restoring system data from prior ROMs, which could cause you all kinds of issues. We'll do apps and data in the next step.

8. After you've finished restoring the items in green, run "Restore missing apps with data" and go through the list and make sure you've got only the items you really want to restore checked.

9. Go to Settings>Accounts & sync, Add account and sign in to Google. Make sure Auto-sync is checked and that Sync Contacts, Sync Gmail and Sync Calendar, etc. are checked, and allow them to sync. It's possible that the Accounts restore in Step 7 already restored your account, but you should still look to be sure all your items are checked.

10. Make a backup of this setup BEFORE you start adding themes and kernels -- that way, it's easy to revert back to stock and start over if a theme or kernel messes you up.

If you run across any apps that restore from Market without your data, because you missed them in your TiBu restore, just go into TiBu and go to filters, type the name of the app, and restore data only.

The only thing left is that you'll likely have to set up your widgets again (at least I do in Sweeter Home 2) and you may have to restore some of your ringtones in contacts, Gmail, calendar and Gtalk.

One other note: if you have Swype, I've found that TiBu restore doesn't work right. You'll want to reinstall the Swype installer, then Swype FIRST, before your full TiBu restore, to avoid the memory issues that plague Swype installs.

Upvote 0
I just tried installing one of the themes I downloaded this morning off of Rom Manager, and it put me into a boot loop. The one I tried installing was the Galaxy one, all the ones I downloaded all said 1.6 on them, which is probably the issue. The rom itself says 1.7, and so far, I'm really liking it. But would like to install a theme. I'll wait till Liquid posts about 1.7 and it's own thread is started. :) Just thought I would give a heads up.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this. I just saw that LFY 1.7 is out and I want to give it a shot. Since I don't reflash every other day, though, I was already rusty about how to proceed... this post is just in time to remind me and also to improve my process.

Quick question -- why skip Google sign in at first? I'm guessing that it's because it will start the time-consuming process of syncing all the apps and you suggest pushing that to later. Any other reason?

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting this. I just saw that LFY 1.7 is out and I want to give it a shot. Since I don't reflash every other day, though, I was already rusty about how to proceed... this post is just in time to remind me and also to improve my process.

Quick question -- why skip Google sign in at first? I'm guessing that it's because it will start the time-consuming process of syncing all the apps and you suggest pushing that to later. Any other reason?

You're exactly right that it's because I don't want the market sync process to start -- not only because it's time-consuming, but more importantly from my perspective, because the Market doesn't install my apps to the locations (internal and SD, as applicable) as I had them before (and I always get low space warnings because of that when I let the market sync). I vastly prefer my TiBu restore, with Force to same location checked. It's faster and puts back the apps where I want them and restores my data also, all in one shot.

Reactions: thaDroidz
Upvote 0
GirLovesDroid
"Here's how I do it:

1. Purchase the license for Titanium Backup (TiBu) if you don't already have it -- it's worth it"

If I don't have the paid version can't I do everything that you describe in your directions with the Free version? It's letting me do the batch backup of apps and system data right now. Is it going to miss something or not restore my data if I only have the free version?

Upvote 0
GirLovesDroid
"Here's how I do it:

1. Purchase the license for Titanium Backup (TiBu) if you don't already have it -- it's worth it"

Is it possible that when restoring your apps, with the paid version you don't have to install each app one by one? When restoring my apps it prompted me to install each app and I had to hit "Install" for all 100+ apps that I restored.

Also, forcing apps to install location didn't work. I use "Move to SD Enabler" from the market to move apps to SD, so I suppose if I restored that app and ran it before restoring my other apps that would have worked. I still ran out of phone memory and had to manually move each app to SD.

Upvote 0
Is it possible that when restoring your apps, with the paid version you don't have to install each app one by one? When restoring my apps it prompted me to install each app and I had to hit "Install" for all 100+ apps that I restored.

Also, forcing apps to install location didn't work. I use "Move to SD Enabler" from the market to move apps to SD, so I suppose if I restored that app and ran it before restoring my other apps that would have worked. I still ran out of phone memory and had to manually move each app to SD.

If you don't purchase the license, then you won't have the ability to batch restore. I don't know if "Force to same location" is available in the free version, but that's the option that has me always using TiBu to restore all my apps and data. I've probably used TiBu to restore 50 times or so in the last few months with all the ROM testing I've done and it's never not worked, so long as I checked "Force to same location" before restore.

Upvote 0
If you don't purchase the license, then you won't have the ability to batch restore. I don't know if "Force to same location" is available in the free version.

Okay. Well the free version let me do the batch restore options in your directions, but do you mean that you can do it with one click, instead of having to click install for each app when it prompts you? Kind of like a yes to all feature?

Maybe the force to install location works for you because you are coming from ROMs that already had the Apps to SD partition? I'm using the Apps to SD enabler program while on stock rooted FRG22D, I don't think it made an Apps2SD partition. So without that app already running I can't force them to SD. I attempted to create an APPS 2 SD partition in Rom Manager once and it completely jacked up my SD card when I was running BBv0.5

Upvote 0
Okay. Well the free version let me do the batch restore options in your directions, but do you mean that you can do it with one click, instead of having to click install for each app when it prompts you? Kind of like a yes to all feature?

Maybe the force to install location works for you because you are coming from ROMs that already had the Apps to SD partition? I'm using the Apps to SD enabler program while on stock rooted FRG22D, I don't think it made an Apps2SD partition. So without that app already running I can't force them to SD. I attempted to create an APPS 2 SD partition in Rom Manager once and it completely jacked up my SD card when I was running BBv0.5

Yes, I mean with the paid version, you can do a batch restore all in one click (no need to confirm individually).

No, you don't do an apps2sd partition! Froyo supports apps2sd without a partition and that's all I've ever done. In order for Force to same location to restore apps to SD, they have to have been on SD when you did your backup.

Upvote 0
Thanks for helping me out GLD. I appreciate your posts and instructions. I first rooted right when bbv0.5 came out. I had backed up using TiBu from the beginning but finally used it when I flashed LFY 1.7 thanks to your post. I never new how to use it before. I read posts about people having problems with it or that it didn't work. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
I'm still on v1.6 (this is its thread ;)). I just got a Motorola T325 bluetooth speaker for the car. It pairs just fine, but I can't for the life of me get it to download contacts, either all or just one. I've searched, and searched, and tried everything suggested I've seen here and other forums. (Exported vcf file to SD card, then used Bluetooth File Transfer - It goes through the motions, I even get a status bar, but it never progresses, and then the speaker times out from the download.) I'm starting to wonder if this is a LFY issue.

Please help. How can I get contacts sent? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I'm still on v1.6 (this is its thread ;)). I just got a Motorola T325 bluetooth speaker for the car. It pairs just fine, but I can't for the life of me get it to download contacts, either all or just one. I've searched, and searched, and tried everything suggested I've seen here and other forums. (Exported vcf file to SD card, then used Bluetooth File Transfer - It goes through the motions, I even get a status bar, but it never progresses, and then the speaker times out from the download.) I'm starting to wonder if this is a LFY issue.

Please help. How can I get contacts sent? Thanks.

Could you do what you are trying to do with a different ROM or stock Froyo?

Upvote 0
I don't know, but my old phone (Samsung Juke) and my wifes old phone (EnV2) would both sync up with her bluetooth car stereo, but only her phone would transmit contacts to it. I haven't tried my Droid, but I think certain phones will only work with certain devices capable of storing contacts. I will try to sync my Droid with my wife's car stereo this weekend and report back.

You would think a Motorola device to a Motorola device would work though.

Upvote 0
ok guys not to sound like a nub or anything but im having trouble installing the roms >.<! i keep getting the "E: failed to verify whole-filed signature " ordeal. i have the kernal, the [FONT=&quot]LIQUID FROZEN YOGURT v1.7 (ROM) , and the [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]LIQUID FROZEN YOGURT v1.71 (UPDATE). on my sd card plus the theme. which do i install first?[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0
Stuck in a boot loop. Went through ROM manager for update, thought it would give me the chance to wipe data, never did, and just installed from 1.5 to 1.6. Now when I try to get to recovery mode, the SD card is not mounted, apparently, AND the boot loop starts after only 4-5 moves. I can get to data wipe/reset, but once it starts, the boot loop kicks in. Anybody have any suggestions on what to do or did my phone just brick?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones