• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking for a phone with better signal than S3

POC3442

Jul 13, 2010
So I currently have the S3. It was the last phone I was going to purchase in contract since I have unlimited data. The phone I had before this was the Droid X. In my current house in Elgin Illinois I had no issues what so ever with dropped calls. However, the S3 has been dropping calls since the day I got it in my house. This was never much of an issue because I never made many calls. However, now I'm starting a business and having a smartphone that doesn't drop calls is going to be more important than ever. Anyone have any suggestions on phones (not new looking sub $300 price range) that have better signal strength than the S3. I'd prefer a larger screen so I can read emails and reply on the go. But I can't seem to find any sites that review signal strengths of phones.
Thanks in advance,
POC3442

Any phone will be better than Samsung for reception. Also, though Motorola seems to be thought of as the radio king, in my experience, HTC is even better. I have a DNA, my wife has Droid Ultra and my daughter has the Moto X, and my DNA is best.

This worries me as I just recently jumped on board with Verizon with the S5. All the tech they put in their devices and the radio is crap? I'm not questioning your statement, just wondering why that is......cause this has been mentioned a few times about Samsung's radios.

Upvote 0
This worries me as I just recently jumped on board with Verizon with the S5. All the tech they put in their devices and the radio is crap? I'm not questioning your statement, just wondering why that is......cause this has been mentioned a few times about Samsung's radios.

No idea, but on Verizon at least, it does appear to be true. Lots of people with Sammy's having all sorts of reception issues in places where other phones do not. For some reason they seem not to put much effort into signal quality. Maybe in SK, it being such a geographically small country, reception is never an issue?

Upvote 0
Samsung doesn't focus on improving their radios because they don't get enough serious complaints, people just deal with it and still buy their devices. Samsung is more concerned about user experience.

Motorola has some of the best radios, if not the best, in their devices. It's kind of crazy the difference when you have a Motorola device. You can even hear the difference.

Upvote 0
So my desk is in an abysmal signal location, so any time I have a chance to test a phone, I do it. Based on what I've seen, the S5 is way better than previous Samsung phones as far as signal, in fact is better than the One M8. The LG G2 is also a good phone signal wise. I'll be getting the G3 next week, I can let you know about that one then. Moto has been known as good phones, but I haven't been able to test one at my desk. Regardless, for the OP, pretty much every phone offered by Verizon right now will be better than your S3.

Upvote 0
So my desk is in an abysmal signal location, so any time I have a chance to test a phone, I do it. Based on what I've seen, the S5 is way better than previous Samsung phones as far as signal, in fact is better than the One M8. The LG G2 is also a good phone signal wise. I'll be getting the G3 next week, I can let you know about that one then. Moto has been known as good phones, but I haven't been able to test one at my desk. Regardless, for the OP, pretty much every phone offered by Verizon right now will be better than your S3.

Thanks a lot...and I look forward to what you have to say about the G3.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones