• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Looking to buy my first Android phone that fits my specs...

Mentior

Lurker
Feb 23, 2011
Hello all! I currently have a Nokia N97, and it is feeling a bit outdated. So it is time to upgrade!

I have already decided I am making the swap to an Android phone (which is why I am here...), but I'm not 100% on the actual model that'll be right for me. There are only a couple of things I'd like and I have a fair idea, but I would like some personal opinions to help me decide.

What I would like in my phone is...

Fast user interface, dependant on the processor etc of course but I don't want to wait too long for something to open for example.

GPS with decent navigation, I am not too worried about voice guided navigation, I just want something which would guide me somewhere pretty accurately. Might be dependant on the different available navigation apps so any opinion on those will be appreciated. :)

Slide out qwerty keyboard, this is probably the 1 thing I love about my N97 above all else. I can do with a pure touchscreen interface, but the keyboard is a definite preference.

Decent size/weight, as long as it fits in my pocket without pulling my pants down it'll be alright, something around the size and weight of the N97.

And lastly (I think...) a good camera.

My phone will at first generally be used for calling, organising, text/email/instant messaging, Internet surfing, GPS, and taking video/pictures. I plan to of course use the phone to its full extent once I get use to it. :p

So I have had a look around, and the fairly recently released Motorola Milestone 2 (Droid 2) and HTC Desire Z both looks to be a pretty good phones with what I need and then some. Is there a preference of 1 over the other or is there even other phones that are out/soon to be released that might be better?

And for reference, I am from the UK, planning on changing plans anyway and don't mind importing it so few restrictions from that angle. Long as it can work here of course :)

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones