• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root LTEVO ROOTING FOR DUMMIES {The Complete Guide}

having problems in boot loader. Couldn't get twrp to install via command so i did clockwork and got that to work, rebooted back to bootloader and went to recovery for superuser and it keeps intently going to and htc screen saying for development purposes ect and locks up for a few and reboots. Any clue. I am so close...been 6 hrs.

Upvote 0
having problems in boot loader. Couldn't get twrp to install via command so i did clockwork and got that to work, rebooted back to bootloader and went to recovery for superuser and it keeps intently going to and htc screen saying for development purposes ect and locks up for a few and reboots. Any clue. I am so close...been 6 hrs.

Sorry, you're not close.

The CWM thread at XDA was locked and the final post said that it was deprecated (no longer for use). It doesn't work.

Start at this post, and read forward from there -

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=31436530

If your /misc partition is hosed, try the fix there. Only if you ran the command and found that partition is hosed.

Once you know it's ok, flash TWRP.

If that fails again, tell us _exactly_ what you did to flash it, and what error you got.

Upvote 0
So come to find out twrp was not installing cause of file name...I got it install tho after copying the name of the one I had. I'm however now rooted..just s-on, it's still on, but I am rooted. Now just trying to get cam mod to work.

* on a side note...cwm did kinda work...just could not select anything after highlighting. Needed a touch based recovery aka twrp.

Upvote 0
So come to find out twrp was not installing cause of file name...I got it Israelis tho after copying the name of the one I had. I'm however now rooted..just s-on, it's still on, but I am rooted. Now just trying to get cam mod to work.

sorry confused by what you just said. so do you have twrp recovery now? this is the only working recovery we have. it is also a very good one as well.

cam mod? curious as to which one you are trying. also what rom are you on?

Upvote 0
yeah...sorry about that, auto correct put that...lol. yes I do now have twrp recovery installed and working. As for the cam mod...it's the one posted in the all things root guide on here. As for rom... I was using stock. Is there one for stock rom that will work or do I have to use a custom rom and if so, which one is best?

* I have also noticed I can manually change the media profile via root manager, it saves, but then defaults back eventually. only way to really apply is as a zip install, but that is a pain in itself due to it can't be just a media profile zip.

Upvote 0
yeah...sorry about that, auto correct put that...lol. yes I do now have twrp recovery installed and working. As for the cam mod...it's the one posted in the all things root guide on here. As for rom... I was using stock. Is there one for stock rom that will work or do I have to use a custom rom and if so, which one is best?

* I have also noticed I can manually change the media profile via root manager, it saves, but then defaults back eventually. only way to really apply is as a zip install, but that is a pain in itself due to it can't be just a media profile zip.

that mod should work on stock i believe. as well as most other roms. i have not messed with the camera as i am happy with the one that comes with the pacman rom that i'm currently on. but i'm about to flash me some JB sense rom in revoletd or maybe even meanbean as well.

edit: to find most roms, you can go here:
http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-lte-all-things-root/614073-list-utilities-roms-kernels.html

Reactions: Granite1
Upvote 0
it installs on stock, but when I go to use camera, it always crashes.

if the above does not work then try and go into recovery and fix permissions. that sometimes fixes fc's. if not then you can try this on other roms....but this mod has not been updated to JB so that might be the issue as well.

Upvote 0
That's a really old camera mod. I need to pull that. :( I have no idea if that even works with JB roms.

For the best camera in terms of image quality, you want the one in MeanRom for ICS or MeanBean for JellyBean.

Which, good news, are good roms.

I like it so much that I use with other roms - just freeze /system/apk/Camera.apk and then move that one in, fix permissions and clear cache and Dalvik.

That one's self contained and seems to ignore the media profiles xml.

Upvote 0
got it to work...don't change nothing tho. tried lg camcorder and it cracked the 12mb/s cap at 20mb/s..didn't record with 40mb/s setting. Did not look different and lg cam is a lil darker anyways. Stock is stuck at 6-8mb/s no matter wut media profile bitrate.

Stock needs more than a media profile change to change bitrate. The last two hq cameras in the wild for our phone based on stock was a step backwards in one case or not working right in the other.

I've given my recommendation, all the best finding what you want.

Upvote 0
How does someone edit an apk and then re-install it with the edits in place?
Does an edited .apk need to be re-compiled or signed before re-installing or something? Or do I have to re-install it via TWRP or something?
I'm close here, but no cigar.

I've got Viper's rooted de-odexed Stock Jelly Bean ROM installed. I want to edit the stock Camera application to not have the shutter sounds (HTC updated a few things for Jelly Bean so using the old widely edited camera from ICS is not what I want to do - and I'm not looking to add someone else's customized application).
Using E-Strongs I copied the Camera.apk out into my microSD, changed it to a .zip, located the shutter sound files inside and removed them, changed it back into an .apk and copied it back into the system overwriting the existing camera application. Reboot and the edited apk won't run. I tried updating the permissions but it still won't run.
Do I need to replace the shutter sounds rather than just delete them? What stopped me was not having a good program for .OGG files. I suppose I could install Audacity to my PC again.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Does an edited .apk need to be re-compiled or signed before re-installing or something? Or do I have to re-install it via TWRP or something?

I've got Viper's rooted de-odexed Stock Jelly Bean ROM installed. I want to edit the stock Camera application to not have the shutter sounds (HTC updated a few things for Jelly Bean so using the old widely edited camera from ICS is not what I want to do - and I'm not looking to add someone else's customized application).
Using E-Strongs I copied the Camera.apk out into my microSD, changed it to a .zip, located the shutter sound files inside and removed them, changed it back into an .apk and copied it back into the system overwriting the existing camera application. Reboot and the edited apk won't run. I tried updating the permissions but it still won't run.
Do I need to replace the shutter sounds rather than just delete them? What stopped me was not having a good program for .OGG files. I suppose I could install Audacity to my PC again.
ok i edited the guide....sorry about that forgot to do it earlier.......thanx

and as far as editing apk's.....i would have mentioned what you just did. but i never have done any modding so i'm not sure if that works or not......and it obviously does not work,.......so i can't help you out there.

sorry:eek:

Upvote 0

ok i edited the guide....sorry about that forgot to do it earlier.......thanx

and as far as editing apk's.....i would have mentioned what you just did. but i never have done any modding so i'm not sure of that works or not......and it obviously does not work,.......so can help you out there.

sorry:eek:

I would say (not for curtain) that you would have to install the edited apk file zip via install with TWRP. I found that when changing editing the media profile it would only fully apply with install from zip before OS is running. If not done this way, it will temp work because of internal file change (camera apk) and eventually flip back to default setting while OS is running. Not saying this will work. But that's my opinion... :-D. Hope it helps.

Upvote 0
I hate to come here and ask for help cause either 1) i'll get ripped or 2) someone will point me to something I missed but I don't know what the heck I missed. :)

I used HTCDev to unlock.
It rebooted and got me back to a factory reset JB load.
I copied smw6180_superwipe.zip (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1700211) and MeanBean-v16-jewel-ltevo.zip (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2048229) to the root of my flash card.
I installed GooManager and selected Reboot Recovery and nothing happens.
I clicked on Flash Roms and added both Superwipe and MeanBean (SW first) and clicked Wipe cache/dalvik cache partition and Wipe Data and clicked flash and nothing happens.
At some point during the above it asked me to install a recovery and I got a notice saying TWRP was installed.

If I manually reboot into Recovery all I get is a red triangle and !.
I have the message ***UNLOCKED*** in pink on the top when rebooted into fastboot and hboot 2.09.0000.
Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
Don't worry you'll never get ripped here, we've got a good group of people here. Any time you have a question ask away. We all had no idea what we were doing at one point.

Sounds to me like TWRP didn't install properly. The red triangle and ! was what I got before I installed TWRP. Try to install it again via Goo Manager. Open Goo Manager and hit menu then "install open recovery script."

Then do all of your flashing over again in recovery. But first make sure you wipe everything minus storage. You'll also have to fastboot flash your kernel. I'll link the guide on how to do that when I get to my laptop.

Upvote 0
I did the reinstall by following your instructions and I got the message saying Recovery has been installed. The phone did not reboot during this process but I have rebooted manually. When I click Flash it still just sits there. :/

I rebooted into Recovery and still get the red triangle and !, too.

I am not sure about the Fastboot flash the kernel (if that is required first) but I will see what I can find about that while you get to your laptop.

EDIT:
I did another factory reset, installed Goo and the same thing happens. Tried to install TWRP three or four times but no luck.

EDIT:
Tried to install the recovery file with Android Terminal Emulator and get this error: "cannot open for write: permission denied"

EDIT: Hmm, this looks good. Let me see what happens now.
Code:
C:\Android>fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.3.3.0-jewel.img
sending 'recovery' (7536 KB)...
OKAY [  1.022s]
writing 'recovery'...
OKAY [  1.902s]
finished. total time: 2.934s

Goo still does nothing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones