• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Making calls using Google Voice

rdross80

Lurker
Dec 10, 2012
I have Google Voice installed on my phone and I notice whenever I go to make a call, I have an option asking if I want to make the call through Google Voice. My question is, if I do this do I go through my data connection and not use any of my voice minutes? I'm hoping this is the case since I'm planning on switching over to Tmobile's $30 plan, which doesn't have a whole lot of minutes.

Okay, so then I'm assuming just by making a call through Google Voice, all it does is have your GV number show up on caller ID.
Not completely correct it also depends on what kind of connection is available. For example I have T-mobile pay as you go and I normally I keep my phone in airplane mode and am always connected via WiFi yet Google voice works for me over WiFi. and does not use my minutes. When I first was setting things up I tested it without being in airplane mode and it did not take my minutes but I don't really trust it not to so I use airplane mode with WiFi activated. And AFAIK there is a setting where you can have it show your GV number or something else. Don't remember the options.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones