1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General Making calls using Google Voice

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rdross80, Jan 4, 2013.

1. rdross80

rdross80 Lurker
    None

Dec 10, 2012
    I have Google Voice installed on my phone and I notice whenever I go to make a call, I have an option asking if I want to make the call through Google Voice. My question is, if I do this do I go through my data connection and not use any of my voice minutes? I'm hoping this is the case since I'm planning on switching over to Tmobile's $30 plan, which doesn't have a whole lot of minutes.

Advertisement

2. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

It won't do that naively but with 3rd party apps you can do it, and quite well from what I've read. GrooveIP I think is the popular one around these parts.

3. rdross80

rdross80 Lurker
    None

Dec 10, 2012
    Okay, so then I'm assuming just by making a call through Google Voice, all it does is have your GV number show up on caller ID.

4. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert
    None

Yessir, that's correct.

5. donec

donec Well-Known Member
    None

Not completely correct it also depends on what kind of connection is available. For example I have T-mobile pay as you go and I normally I keep my phone in airplane mode and am always connected via WiFi yet Google voice works for me over WiFi. and does not use my minutes. When I first was setting things up I tested it without being in airplane mode and it did not take my minutes but I don't really trust it not to so I use airplane mode with WiFi activated. And AFAIK there is a setting where you can have it show your GV number or something else. Don't remember the options.

6. rdross80

rdross80 Lurker
    None

Dec 10, 2012
    Once I switch over to T-Mobile next week, I'll have to test it out and see. Thanks for the info.

Tags: