• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Mate 10 can'topen Google Play Store

Mqi

Lurker
Feb 16, 2018
Recently got a Mate 10 from China and brought it back home to Australia.
Noticed it doesn't have the Google Play Store.
So went into the default apps market from huawei and searched for google play store.
I found it in the search results and it has a button saying "open" which would indicate that the app is already downloaded?
But I click on that button and nothing happens.
Help!

You can't do anything Google with a China version Huawei Mate 10, not unless it's rooted and modified. Which I'm pretty sure is impossible, so far. Any chance of returning it? Basically Google is outlawed in China, and so Android devices here don't have Google services on them.
`But why is it that my dad's honor 9 has google play store? He also bought it in China.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
`But why is it that my dad's honor 9 has google play store? He also bought it in China.
Could be that Honor 9 was originally intended for outside of the mainland, like Hong Kong SAR, where Android devices usually do have Google.
FWIW I have seen Android phones and tablets with Google Play on them for sale in mainland PRC, but it's very much the exception, and Google is blocked here unless using a VPN.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You can't do anything Google with a China version Huawei Mate 10, not unless it's rooted and modified. Which I'm pretty sure is impossible, so far. Any chance of returning it? Basically Google is outlawed in China, and so Android devices here don't have Google services on them.

Well apparently you now can from the stock AppGallery app store... :thumbsupdroid:
Screenshot_20180328-103114.jpg

I think the "App update is not recommended" actually means, do not install any updates to the Play Store other than what Huawei provides.

I just bought a Mate 10, and can confirm that the Google Play Store does indeed install and work, although it does require a VPN when using the phone in China. AFAIK this is still only Huawei and Honor series phones.

To the OP @Mqi in Australia see if there's any updates for your Mate 10 firmware as this may now work for you as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones