• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Media Link HD - Questions and Troubleshooting

Thank you Harry, I have tried to do that but it is still not working. Sometimes when I start to sinc and my phone is not turned on wireless, I will then start to find a wireless network and the media link configuration shows on my phone but not on the TV. Then at the end, it cancels out. The TV shows a big triangle error, and the message is in Korean, so I dont understand it.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone….this is my first post on this forum and I am reaching my end with the MediaLink HD.

I have tried everything after reading every post in this forum and others and I am beginning to think that I have a bad unit.

First I have a international HTC One X and the it finds the MediaLink HD right away after the 3 finger swipe but it repeatedly stops just before the end of the configuration and on my One X is says it cannot complete the configuration and on the MediaLink HD it just shows the configuration screen stuck at that postion.

I have reset everything in the chain from my Apple Router (Apple Time Capsule) to the One X to the MediaLink HD. Same thing….

I tried to connect directly to the MediaLink HD so I changed my wireless settings on the One X and it allowed me to connect directly to the MediaLink HD as the wireless network but when I go to connect to the MediaLink HD for content it cannot connect again!!!

Does anyone have any other suggestion??

Once I connected to the MediaLink HD as my wireless connection and still could not connect to it I started to think that the unit is a DUD.

Thanks in advance for any other tips….

NJV

Upvote 0
i have read that the most people having issues with the link are users that have apple equipment in the chain.

the only thing i can suggest is to try this using a friends wireless network and setting it up there, or go to a store and try a working HOX and see if it will connect.

you mentioned you could connect adhoc (directly) to the link but still could not use it, so it could very well be a faulty unit.

these things are super simple to connect to and use so i also tend to side with the notion that its the link that is defective...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
You might try to update the Media Link.

Reset the ML and let it connect as member of your home network.
Don't connect the phone to the ML via three finger swipe.

In the phone's settings for the ML you should be able to update the ML.

If not, you might let the ML connected to the home network for a few hours, for automatically updating.

Harry

Upvote 0
That's what I was thinking as well. On my list of wireless devices it showed up and I inputed 1234567890HTC and it connected to it right away so i go back to the user interface and NOTHING!!!

I am going to try it on my cousins network and I will see if that makes a difference as he has a NON-Apple router. That was my other possible kink in this set-up.

Thanks for the quick reply

NJV

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

Don't connect the phone to the ML.

If not, you might let the ML connected to the home network for a few hours, for automatically updating.

Harry

Harry...I tried to connect to the ML from the phone setting and it will not connect.....gives me an error message saying it can't connect.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

Don't connect the phone to the ML via three finger swipe.

Harry

Also ....how can it connect to the home network without connecting to the One X first to recover the password?? Just thought about that one....

Upvote 0
When i first got the Media link, it was unbearably slow. I then checked for a firmware update and found there was one already and applied that. It made it much faster but there was still a little lag. It also still constantly had to keep buffering the video every 15-20 seconds when i streamed videos i recorded. When using Youtube, it was fine though.

But ended up replacing the router last week because i noticed the laptop and even the smartphones kept randomly disconnecting and reconnecting. Thought it was Comcast at first but the neighbors would not drop in and out like ours. But long story short, after replacing the router, it is even faster with very little to no lag and the video buffering issue is 100% gone.

So if you have an older router and are experiencing issues, look into replacing it because it helped me out big time. I was considering returning the media link but glad i didn't.

Upvote 0
[3 finger gestures] Anyone have any idea what they are on this phone?

Thanks!

[Stock]
There is also the lesser known 2 finger gesture. If you are in a long list, say of contacts in 'People', or artists/songs to play in 'Music' if you use 2 fingers it will scroll the list alphabetically by first letter. ;)

And if you are really really mad at your phone you can always give it the classic one finger gesture? :evil:

Upvote 0
I love this thing. It works perfectly.

I am using my home network. I was wanting to set somebody up that does not have a network in their apt. Does the adhoc(peer to peer) networking work well enough to stream without buffering? I just don't want to go through the hassle and expense only to find out it isn't very usable. It would be really cool for her if it worked well though!

Upvote 0
you can test this yourself by connecting your phone to the link hd peer to peer. it works well but it depends on the sprint reception in the area to determine your buffering issues. if you have a good clean cellular signal you should have good experiences with P2P.

if you have your msl, go in and remove the sprint proxies so that you dont have to go through that extra step.

Reactions: flyjbaker
Upvote 0
Well I guess I spoke too soon. Strangely it works perfectly with youtube and netflix but for whatever reason it cannot stay connected when on Pandora or Google Music. It will play for about 2 minutes and then drop back to the phone speaker. What appears to be happening is the phone drops the wifi signal momentarily and then picks it back up. Maybe the other services have enough buffer where it doesn't affect them. Anyway, I did read this entire thread a week ago but might have to re read it to see if anything is in here regarding this issue.

I swear I am very close to throwing my arms up and giving in to the evil apple!

Upvote 0
Well time to dust off this thread. After the Jelly Bean Update my Media Link wanted a password to connect which it never had before. I looked every where and tried every password I could think of and no dice. When in doubt Hard Reset right? I hard reset both my phone and the Media Link and now I can not configure the Media Link at all. It tries but throws up an error that it cannot be configured. I connected to it literally 10 minutes before the update. I have even tried to connect to it Peer to Peer and no dice. Anyone else having an issue?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones