• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MLB.tv and MLB At Bat 2011 Live Streaming on Android

I think the difference is that they're going to stream all the games and it's included with the price of an MLB.tv subscription. I haven't seen anything that indicates whether the app is free and requires a login to use or if it's $15 like it is last year and they charge a $99 subscription on top of that.

Upvote 0
It will work just like the app for the iPhone. You buy the $99 or $119 MLB.tv subscription then buy the $15-$20 (or whatever they decide to charge this year) app in the Android market. Then you will be able to watch the games live.

Last year only the iPhone could stream games live through the app on a mobile phone. Android only had audio with video highlights posted during the game and a condensed game afterwards. This year both iOS and Android have the same features.

Upvote 0
Last year only the iPhone could stream games live through the app on a mobile phone. Android only had audio with video highlights posted during the game and a condensed game afterwards. This year both iOS and Android have the same features.

I am 99% sure I watched the World Series live on my phone last fall. They even had the ability to watch multiple camera angles, as well as the full network feed.

Upvote 0
I think last year you paid $15 for the app. That got you home/away audio for every game and a video feed of one game a day or one game a week. I can't remember. If you wanted to see the video feed of every game you had to purchase an MLB.tv Premium subscription on top of that. In this way, they could milk you for every dollar they could get. Post season offered the multiple camera angles and video feed of every game. I'm still shocked that every sport does this type of thing except the NFL.

Upvote 0
It says the app is now free:
MLB.com At Bat 2011 to Feature Live Game Video Streaming | Android Phone Fans

I would rather pay the $15 to watch just on my phone and not by the mlb tv package. I watch all my games on TV, it is just convenient to watch them on my phone when I need to.

I bought the mlb.tv and will get the app if it has live streaming.

its great for watching specific pitchers (which is always a crap shoot for TV games) and follow the Braves since I am not in Atlanta.

I love it...worth every penny.

Upvote 0
I would rather pay the $15 to watch just on my phone and not by the mlb tv package. I watch all my games on TV, it is just convenient to watch them on my phone when I need to.

If you could buy the app without the package, the app would cost more than 15 dollars. (Still maybe less than the app + the package, but anyway...)

I agree with you that we should be able to get a cheaper option for phone only. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly and can do whatever they want or think will generate the most revenue.

Upvote 0
If you could buy the app without the package, the app would cost more than 15 dollars. (Still maybe less than the app + the package, but anyway...)

I agree with you that we should be able to get a cheaper option for phone only. Unfortunately, they have a monopoly and can do whatever they want or think will generate the most revenue.

I was actually thinking about paying for MLB TV until I found out that local games are blacked out. I live in Dallas and I am a Rangers fan. That means that even if I was out and about and wanted to watch the game on my phone, it would be blacked out anyway.

What is the point of this? The only way to watch your favorite team live on MLB TV is if you live out of the market area. :(

Upvote 0
I was actually thinking about paying for MLB TV until I found out that local games are blacked out. I live in Dallas and I am a Rangers fan. That means that even if I was out and about and wanted to watch the game on my phone, it would be blacked out anyway.

What is the point of this? The only way to watch your favorite team live on MLB TV is if you live out of the market area. :(

Local games are not always blacked out. They're blacked out based on blackout rules. If you live in a city that never, ever sells out, you're screwed. If you live in a city that always sells out, you're good. If you live in a city that sometimes sells out and sometimes doesn't, then you have a decision to make. You always get the audio from the game no matter what. It's the video that gets blacked out. So, if your plan is to listen to the game on your phone, that will always be an option.

Upvote 0
Local games are not always blacked out. They're blacked out based on blackout rules. If you live in a city that never, ever sells out, you're screwed. If you live in a city that always sells out, you're good. If you live in a city that sometimes sells out and sometimes doesn't, then you have a decision to make. You always get the audio from the game no matter what. It's the video that gets blacked out. So, if your plan is to listen to the game on your phone, that will always be an option.

No, MLB blackout rules don't have anything to do with attendance. Thats just the NFL.

MLB blackouts are decided based on what the team "broadcast area" is, if you are in that area, the game will always be blacked out on ESPN, MLB Network or MLB Streaming video, regardless of game attendance.

Also if you live in Iowa you get f'ed, we are in the blackout area for 6 teams, even though none of them are actually in our state (Cubs, White Sox, Cards, Royals, Brewers, and Twins). :mad:

Upvote 0
I still have MLB At Bat 2010. Except for the live streaming of games, shouldn't it still work for this season....that is the audio, news, standings, and recaps? I pulled up the news on it and it is all up to date. Incidentally, you can dl MLB at Bat 2010 in the market now for free.

It wouldn't surprise me if they disabled it once AtBat 2011 comes out.

Upvote 0
I will be getting the mlb.tv premium package this year if I can find a cheap way to watch it on the go as well as at home on the ps3. So here's my question, what kind of android device do you have to have for live video streaming on mlb.tv to work? Android 2.1, 2.2, something else? I was thinking of getting a cheap tablet like the Coby Kyros, but that says it has android 2.1 and it doesn't have the android marketplace. While I could probably get around the lack of android market by downloading it elsewhere and getting it on the device via microSD, if android 2.1 can't handle the program, there's no point. Any idea what kind of specs an android device will need to run mlb at bat 2011 live streaming video?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones