• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

MMS Working with no Data Plan!

15peppers

Jan 19, 2010
CA
Alright, I have a G1 with no data plan. I have not been able to send or receive MMS and I've been told that it is impossible to receive MMS without it.

This Morning I got a picture message from a friend and I was able to open it! Then I received another one and that one also opened. I had a buddy stand next to me and send me a picture message and it came in just fine. I haven't been able to send one yet, it's been trying to send for the past 10 min. But so far I have received 5 pic messages with no problem.

Anyone else having luck? I have Tmobile by the way.

Did someone flip a switch?:D

It looks like T-mobile is working on giving customers what they are already paying for (picture messages that should be included for people that have messaging plans w/o data plans) since T-mobile doesn't want to get ripped off with their Android phones they blocked all data plans for their Android phones except the Android data plan of course :p we'll see if this is progress or a glitch in their system...

Upvote 0
Here is a conversation I had with an at&t rep regarding misleading information on their site.. They say unlimited text and web browsing on one of their pages.. Not so..

Christal: Welcome to AT&T online Feature Sales. How may I assist you with your features today?
Josh: I was looking at the Pay Options page on Go Phones and in the center column where the comparison is being made it states.. Unlimited Text and Web Browsing available, but when you look in the actual plans there is no unlimited data plan available..
Christal: I will be happy to help you with data on your GoPhone.
Christal: There is not an unlimited data plan for GoPhones.
Josh: All i see is 10MB for 19.99.. there is no unlimited data plan. I have a smartphone that requires a constant connection and I am going to have to sell my phone because I cant afford that
Josh: Why does it state that there is an unlimited text and web browsing option
Christal: I am unsure of this. Where is this listed at?
Josh: On the page where you can compare the Pay as You Go plan and the one where you pay 60.00 a month for unlimited talk and text
Josh: very misleading...
Christal: I am not finding this.
Josh: its in the center column.. It states unlimited text messaging and web browsing for an additional fee
Josh: where the comparison is being made between the 2 plans
Christal: Can you copy and paste the link to me?
Josh: GoPhone Pay Options - Wireless from AT&T
Josh: on the pay as you go and pick your plan page.. there is a comparison column in the center
Josh: fourth check mark down from the top
Christal: Yes, that is misleading but it means just unlimited text messaging and not unlimited web browsing.
Josh: thats what i thought....
Josh: Does AT&T ever plan to offer us an unlimited data plan option? or will everyone with a smart phone have to switch carriers?
Christal: I am unsure of this since SmartPhones are not usually offered with GoPhone services.
Josh: I realize this is not by any means your fault.. But are go phone customers second class customers compared to people who sign contracts?
Christal: They do not have the same coverage since they cannot use other towers so AT&T does not offer them the same features.
Josh: I have had a contract in past years and had a go phone account for several years and I have seen no difference in coverage..
Josh: an AT&T tower has the same range regardless of the phone
Christal: There may not be any difference in the areas you are in.
Christal: When you have a contract phone you can use shared towers and also the 3G network.
Josh: The tower transmits the same power regardless of where it is. What is the difference. Are you saying there are Go Phone towers and Contract towers?
Josh: The phone I use can use any tower its unlocked
Christal: Okay, I understand.
Josh: as long as its a GSM network
Josh: So should I sell my new phone? or be forced to downgrade to a dumb phone?
Christal: I am sorry Josh but I recommend contacting Customer Care at 800.331.0500 to discuss this further.
Josh: I understand.... I feel like my money is not as good as contract holders money in my options, especially after I found the misleading information on the AT&T page..
Christal: I do apologize Josh and I wish I could help you further.
Christal: May I help you with anything else today?
Josh: no maam... that is all...
Christal: Thank you for choosing AT&T. Have a great day!
chatinfo.gif
The chat session has been closed by your AT&T sales representative.

Upvote 0
Err... I have a contract with T-Mobile, I don't know what your post was related to, but either way that sucks. :rolleyes:

I got on quite a rant.. AT&T is the only carrier where I live. There is no competition. I have had a contract with them in the past and the bill would go from normal to 1500.00 in a month and they refused to use my valid rollover minutes for some reason. No data charges back then or anything. So I bought a G1 and didnt realize it had to stay connected to the internet. ( my HTC TyTN2 got ran over by a truck.. so i bought the phone in haste. Go Phone plans dont offer unlimited data packages, so I cant really enjoy my new phone. Once again I apologize for the rant and if T Mobile were offered here everybody would switch because we all have our AT&T billing horror stories...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones