• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[MOD]App2External_SD (Fixed Duplicate files)

I had some issues getting this script to install correctly so I decided to reread the entire thread, and the sister thread for Sdcardswapper. There have been alot of great tips, questions, and explanations in this thread. I edited the best answers, and placed them here. Im not the author of this script, thread, or these replies. If anyone thinks they were misquoted let me know. Hopefully, this reply will help a lot of people to make sense of this script and help to figure out exactly how to use it it properly.
Installation:
S-manager will not recognize 11extsd2internalsd.txt as a script, but as a text file, so rename the file and remove .txt at the end in order for S-manager to be able to read it as a script.
After you click the renamed 11extsd2internalsd file you get a dialog box saying "Open As", select "Script/Executable" from the top of the menu. The next screen will be where you set SU and boot options. Don't forget to save options before you exit then reboot.
What does this Script do?:
This mod puts what normally gets placed on internal (emulated) "/sdcard", on the REAL external SD card (Google created thsi confusion by having Android default treat /sdcard as internal in their Nexus devices), most apps were coded the same from then on. Normal apps (executables) still get installed in /data/app, which is part of internal storage (~1.24 GB limit on LG F3). Apps that use large amounts of data usually put it in another path (most games).
The whole point of this thing is to move the app data files automatically, nothing else. If you want to move anything else, you need to move the apk installations, which can be done with a app2sd application (linker).The program I recommend is to use link2sd, which will move the apk installations to your real external SD card
Link2SD FAQ's:
I've had programs crash with this mod.Better to stick with making a bigger partition for Link2SD to play with (like around 5 Gb or more).That app links data to ext4, which makes this mod obsolete IMHO.
I redid the link2sd and have it and this mod working together.I partitioned the sd card to have a 2 gig ext2 partition for the link2sd, and the rest is being used now as internal memory.
Even with this MOD, Link2sd is still needed to link the "/cache" folder, and possibly some other paths which particular apps use to store large amounts of data. But, the "/cache" folder is normally uses a ext2 partition so it performs faster. So, unless someone modifies this MOD to link to a "/cache" folder on a ext2 partition instead of a FAT32 partition, any linking could cause performance loss or data corruption issues.
When using Link2sd don't link/move Smanager or Link2sd, this will break the MOD script.Remember, the MOD mounts the sd card as the primary partition. The apps you install will still install to the real internal memory
Link2SD moves the installed APKs to a special formatted partition on the SD card, and transparently uses this as app storage; if you set it to link automatically you can almost forget it's there.This script simply swaps out the emulated SD card for your actual inserted external SD card.Together used in conjunction with each other they make the F3 seem like a new phone.
I used a 16gb card and did a 12.5gb Fat32 and 2.5gb Ext2. I still have yet to go over 400 mbs on my Ext2 partition.So you really don't need to allocate any more than 2gbs for your Ext2 Link2SD partition.
Warnings:
1) Do not set up Link2SD to automatically link anything. This really is only good to do if your using Link2SD with no other Mod.You want to manage what you install manually because its not good to always link everything with Link2SD while using this Mod, some things can and will break.
2) Do not use Link2SD to link any game.apk you install to your SD Card, use the default move to SD option in the app list in the settings menu. This mod will handle those files when you move them to the SD Card using the default option.
3) Do not use Link2SD to link any personalization apps (Launcher,SMS,Themes,Icons,Lock Screens), leave those on your internal.
I again repeat this step with great emphasis! Do not use Link2SD to link Smanager to your SD Card that App must stay on your internal memory at all times.
Based on fixes posted by people who had issues I adjusted the install instructions.
1) Download Uni-init v1.0.apk
2) Install like a regular apk and open it
3) Click on Activate and allow with super user
4) Click on Verify to make sure init.d is enabled
5) Reboot your device
6) Download any Root Browser you like from the play store
7) Download 11extsd2internalsd.txt and copy it to your sd card
8) Open Root Browser and copy 11extsd2internalsd.txt and paste it /system/etc/init.d folder
9) Rename 11extsd2internalsd.txt to 11extsd2internalsd (added)
10) Click and hold 11extsd2internalsd and set permissions and make sure everything is checked as far as Read, Write, and Execute
11) Download Smanager from the google play store and open and allow with root access
12) Go to /system/etc/init.d and click on 11extsd2internalsd
13) When you click on the file you should get a dialog box propmpt "Open As...". Select "Script/Executable" from the top of the menu.The next screen will be where you set SU and Boot options. (detailed description)
14) Save changes
15) Reboot

**I spent so much time reading these threads and collecting the best information, I didn't have time to try the installation again.So Hopefully now that Ive gotten some good tips, it will work this time**

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones