• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Motorola Droid 2.1 Details- Official from Verizon's Support Page

Seriously? I can live without the 3D app tray, but if it is really just going to be 3 screens that will be completely ignorant. I mean, they included the totally useless Live Wallpapers according to the PDF on their website, but took out one of the things I was looking forward to most...

Guess I will most likely end up rooting after all...

Upvote 0
Yup,smh too bout the 3 screens...really??who can actually put everything they want on 3 screens?impressive feat if someone has done this lol.its good to see that they're about to make it official but it really doesnt matter to me at this point.im running simply stunning's latest version and thats a bag of chips and then some.lookin forward to froyo custom roms now :D

BTW for all those not rooted yet,if your still on the fence about it you might wanna make up your mind soon.Upgrade with the OTA and only the xda GODs will kno when you'll have the opportunity to run custom again.hopefully immediately but im not banking it considering how well the Eris was locked down(just a couple of days ago got root access,riDONKculous)(waiting on the ridicule for the use of the word...BRING IT ON!!:eek:

Upvote 0
Well, I'm not worried about them locking down 2.1 for no root access. I can simply flash back to 2.01 to gain root access if I decided to do so.

But yea, I am sick of having to pick and choose what all I want on my screens...

As for being on the fence, my biggest concern is stability. I don't like the idea of running the risk of my phone being unstable. I have ready that there are ALOT of very stable ROMs, but I guess it will just worry me until I actually decide to try it out and find out they are actually just as stable, if not more stable than the official releases.

Upvote 0
Verizon just recently published a new PDF to the Motorola Droid's support page. Though it doesn't actually mention it, you can obviously see that it's refering to the Android 2.1 update. Check it out for yourself! The document mentions all the good stuff: live wallpapers, pinch-to-zoom, and voice-to-text throughout the phone... pretty much everything that we've been waiting so long for!
We now know that it's coming soon, but one can only wonder when...

Upvote 0
BTW for all those not rooted yet,if your still on the fence about it you might wanna make up your mind soon.Upgrade with the OTA and only the xda GODs will kno when you'll have the opportunity to run custom again.

This isn't right.

We have the .sbf file for 2.0.1, so no matter what, we can always flash back to that, and get root again.

So by all means, go ahead with the OTA if you guys want. There's always a way back.

EDIT:

I like your title better Trident, but you reposted :D

All fixed now.

Upvote 0
This isn't right.

We have the .sbf file for 2.0.1, so no matter what, we can always flash back to that, and get root again.

So by all means, go ahead with the OTA if you guys want. There's always a way back.

EDIT:

I like your title better Trident, but you reposted :D

All fixed now.

My bad.your absolutely right and thanx for the correction.Now i just wish there was an absolute desire to WANT verizon's version of 2.1.

Upvote 0
Let the Bitching Begin. I don't care if they gave everybody Filet on this update, there would still be the bitchy comments. I just dont get it, If you dont like what they are serving, root your phone, very simple. Sorry to be so harsh, but needs to be said before this thread gets out of hand.

Thank you for pointing this out. The thread will likely get out of hand as does every single one on this sort of topic. Please, do not let this happen! Before you post comments such as these and get into pointless arguments with one another, take a good hard look at the following:

Site Rules and Guidelines
Zero Tolerance Policy

You have been forewarned!

Reactions: BucYouUp68
Upvote 0
Isn't this what everyone that is not rooted or is rooted wanted, To know that 2.1 is officially going to be released. I know there is no date listed yet, but one would have to assume that it will happen wothin the next 7 days, if not sooner. I am happy I am rooted, but I am also happy for those going the official route. Now you will know the true potential of your phone.

Upvote 0
UPDATE: Just called Verizon Customer Support. The representative said she personally did not know anything about the update, but she would look on her system to see if one would be available for me. She then told me, "I actually see here that a software update for the Motorola Droid was made available via OTA today." She then proceeded to explain how to download it. I personally cannot check for the update since I am currently running Bugless Beast. Can anyone confirm that the update is rolling out?

Upvote 0
She then proceeded to explain how to download it.

How? I will check... I am still stock 2.0.1...
Restart your device and then go to Settings> About Phone> System Updates. It will either say "Your system is up to date" or will prompt you to download the new update. Before doing this, ensure that your battery level is above 40% so that your phone is able to check for the update.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones