• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Eris doesn't play YouTube or other Internet videos

inalan

Lurker
Dec 26, 2009
For instance:
when I click on a video on cnn.com, the phone goes through the motions of downloading it and then I get a message: This content cannot play on this device.
When I go to the YouTube app and click on any video displayed, the message is Cannot play video. Sorry, this video cannot be played.
The videos that I took with my phone and are stored on my SD are playing OK.
I called today Verizon Help, the guy I spoke to was dumbfounded. Couldn't help me.
Ideas, advise anyone?
Ina

Hey, not to hijack the thread but I hear about people having trouble with Youtube videos and others saying that switching to HD mode sometimes helps. I have opened the Youtube app on my Eris and pressed the menu key but I don't see anywhere to switch the video quality to HD. Am I missing something here? Do I do this in the youtube app or do I have to go to the Youtube website using the browser and change something then/there??? Thanks.

Nevermind, I just opened the app again, found a video that actually played and found the option in the menu under ...more. Clicked on Watch in High Quality and the app replied, "Cannot play video" crap.

Upvote 0
if you use youtube over a 3g connection it gives me this error but it has only been since the update. It seems to only work over wifi just fine. try it with wifi on and see if you get the same results. i noticed this also. hopefully htc addresses the issues. or possibly verizon pushed this on htc to avoid youtube using too much bandwidth on their network. I just hope the issue gets fixed with the next update.

Upvote 0
My you tube still doesn't work when I use the browser with the flash lite. I'm using dolphin, but I tried it with the default browser as well. I get the dancing cirle and the you tube logo on the bottom, but the video never starts.

I can download the video using dolphin and then I can play the downloaded file. My phone defaulted to the mobile you tube site, m.youtube.com. Could that be part of the issue?

Upvote 0
My you tube still doesn't work when I use the browser with the flash lite. I'm using dolphin, but I tried it with the default browser as well. I get the dancing cirle and the you tube logo on the bottom, but the video never starts.

I can download the video using dolphin and then I can play the downloaded file. My phone defaulted to the mobile you tube site, m.youtube.com. Could that be part of the issue?

same here but no dancing circle in the flash player, just black with logo. Does not work over wifi either. I sent htc an email and all I got was a generic response.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones