• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New S-OFF Method Released -- Sunshine

I wasn't able to get towelroot to work on my at&t HTC One M8. I followed the steps and one I clicked "make it ra1n" it told me that the root was successful but once I downloaded superSU and tried to run it SuperSu told me the binary's were out of date and it wasn't able to update it manually.

I too am trying to get my bootloader unlocked without going through that htc dev account unlock. Weaksauce also doesn't work since I stupidly accepted at&t's latest OTA update without reading up on the forums. I just want to use my favorite apps while preventing them from data mining me! Hopefully the root methods are updated to work with the latest updates soon.

I went through the same thing when rooting (SuperSu) wouldn't update binaries.... you don't need to. Download rootchecker. If it says your rooted you're good to go with Sunshine. Worked on mine without updating the binaries.

Upvote 0
I wasn't able to get towelroot to work on my at&t HTC One M8. I followed the steps and one I clicked "make it ra1n" it told me that the root was successful but once I downloaded superSU...

Once it told you root was successful, try sunshine, yes?

Root checking apps are nice but terribly inconsistent. Just saying.

I'm just glad that sunshine is here. :)

Upvote 0
I went through the same thing when rooting (SuperSu) wouldn't update binaries.... you don't need to. Download rootchecker. If it says your rooted you're good to go with Sunshine. Worked on mine without updating the binaries.

Once it told you root was successful, try sunshine, yes?

Root checking apps are nice but terribly inconsistent. Just saying.

I'm just glad that sunshine is here. :)

Thanks! I was able to get it to work with your guys' help. I didn't know the sunshine app was updated to work with towelroot otherwise I would have just followed the instructions on the website :D, but thanks anyways!

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thanks! I was able to get it to work with your guys' help. I didn't know the sunshine app was updated to work with towelroot otherwise I would have just followed the instructions on the website :D, but thanks anyways!

Despite the name sunshine, welcome to the dark side - s-off, the side of truth and justice! :)

Upvote 0
I was getting the network connection error. For anyone else having this problem-if you have installed adblock plus, turn it off and you can move on to the next step. I've been tearing my hair out trying to unlock my vzw m8 (**** your whelps), and am absolutely DELIGHTED to pay 25 bucks for s-off. Thank you.

This will be my first, and only post.

Upvote 0
I was getting the network connection error. For anyone else having this problem-if you have installed adblock plus, turn it off and you can move on to the next step. I've been tearing my hair out trying to unlock my vzw m8 (**** your whelps), and am absolutely DELIGHTED to pay 25 bucks for s-off. Thank you.

This will be my first, and only post.

Glad you got it sorted, and many thanks for lighting the way for others.

Welcome to the forums and... ummmm... Sorry to see you go? :D

Hope you change your mind and hang with us, if not, we can dig it, if so, you're welcome here.

Otherwise, someone will be saying, "Who was that masked carb, I wanted to thank him!" :)

Upvote 0
I have an h/k and tried to run sunshine on this Rom: Stock_Rooted_Sprint_M8_HK_1.54.654.13 Deodexed.zip
Didn't work. Do I have to have a non h/k Rom? Can I install a non h/k Rom without any issues. I know there is some tweaking necessary to go from non h/k to h/k so I wasn't sure vise a versa.

If it doesn't work apparently it's not stock enough. If you made a backup of the original Rom try that, otherwise you might can find one that will work somewhere in the Sunshine thread at XDA [Android][HTC S-OFF] SunShine for modern HTC devices - XDA Forum
If you have a h/k phone and you can't run sunshine on the original Rom, I'm sure that's something Jcase would want to know about.

Upvote 0
So I think it was my kernel that was the problem. I used the odexed version of the h/k Rom I mentioned earlier but flashed Badseed_Stock_M8_RW_Kernel(1).zip over it and sunshine worked. I also tried a non h/k stock rooted from captain throwback and the flash failed. Regardless, I'm s-off now! !

Welcome to the Dark Side!!:D

Upvote 0
Hi.
I've had the M8 for about 2 weeks and have been doing nothing but reading up on how to root and unlock bootloader / S-off / install a recovery.
Coming from the Nexus 4 and 5 i find it a little confusing/scary but I'm sure it isn't.
I have the international version. Locked/s-on/not rooted.
Reading up on sunshine, can I s-off/unlock the bootloader with out using weaksauce or towelroot?
Then can I run Hasoon2000s M8 toolkit to install TWRP and Root with SU?
Or is it better to use weaksauce/towelroot, then sunshine then Hasoon?
I promised that I would not get back to rooting/modding but the itch is back.
Want to get on Viper Rom!!!
Thanks ahead for any help.

Upvote 0
I think that your easier way would be to just unlock using HTCdev.com with our instructions, install TWRP via fastboot from your pc without extra complicating tools, get SuperSU through TWRP and then just enjoy sunshine.

Can you do it the other way?

Probably.

But first you'll be using a one-off root using an exploit, where you're not locked out and don't really need an exploit, and then installing TWRP with an extra tool when a pc to TWRP installation involves entering one single command from a command window.

Those are my opinions, maybe best to see what advice others have so you can decide after hearing various viewpoints.

Congrats on your M8 btw! :)

Upvote 0
I really didn't wanna go down the paid root (geddit? :D) because I'm cheap but after each time I successfully pushed the file to my phone (which was no easy task, kept hanging a lot) it would basically go through the steps then it would basically tell me to eff off. Well I'm assuming the FU stood for that anyway :p

I wanted it because all the ROMs need either a proper OTA firmware update which meant going back to stock, which is fine but I couldn't be bothered needing to upload a stock recovery or gain S-Off and go that way :)

So basically, I did it just to update my ROM. And because I could :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones