• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Newly Announced iPad 2 Compared to Motorola XOOM, LG Optimus Pad, and Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

I think we tend to cheer for and defend Android because we like it more than iOS and we want it to be popular for longterm use. I think everyone likes the fact that there are options for which OS you use because , as you and I both point out, competition is good for our wallets. It also tends to push developement of new software and technology, which of course we all like.

I think the we all agree on that and that is a simple, basic understanding. However, to go to the level that you suggest is sort of like a Vikings fan cheering for a Packers fan. :D

In the end I want the NFL to succeed because I like football but will never cheer for the Packers. I want smartdevices to succeed but will never cheer for iOS. ;)

So are you saying you won't ever cheer for iOS because of hatred towards Apple? Kind of like how you hate the Packers?

I can understand that... I have that same hatred for Microsoft.

Upvote 0
Actually in the UK iPhone is number 6. The top 3 phones are HTC. So...there's 3 individual Android phones outselling the iphone here. Of the other 2 phones ahead of the iphone I think there's another Android and a Symbian.

Sorry but I dont live in the UK. At the end of the day when it comes down to sales, no matter how much people hate Apple here the iphone and the ipad are stil going to dominate when it comes to sales. And until Android steps up their app development im never buying an Android tablet anyways.

Upvote 0
This is still a dumb argument to me. Most people were buying Android phones because Android phones were available on every carrier with PLENTY of them to choose from. Not one single Android phone will EVER outsell the iphone, ever. And im willing to bet money that when the 5 drops on the big 2 this summer that the iphone claims the number 1 spot again. And do you REALLY want to dispute the fact that any tablet will outsell the ipad 2? I'd even bet that it outsells the xoom and the playbook put together.

And last I checked, even though the latest iphone didnt do huge numbers on Verizon.. considering the phone is almost a year old and people are locked into contracts, it STILL was the best selling phone on Verizon ever. Meaning it outsold every Android phone to ever hit Verizon in a month. Now what do you think is going to happen when the iphone 5 comes out? I know some of you hate Apple but sometimes you just have to use common sense. Verizon sold a million iphone 4's in a week. In contrast, Sprint sold 3 million Evo's total from June until now.

I dont see why people make such a big hype over Android outselling the iphone anyways. With 30 Android phones on the market compared to ONE iphone.. SHOULDNT it be outselling it? I mean seriously, even with that big a difference in the number of handsets Android only has 1% more marketshare than IOS. Honestly it shouldnt even be as close as it has been considering the iphone was only available on one carrier. Verizon alone is on pace to sell 11 million iphones this year... one phone. No matter how you cut it or try to sway it, IOS products sell.. period. And had it not been for the iphone and the ipad, would Android phones and tablets even exist?

Not dumb at all. Just look at the global numbers where iphone was already on all the carriers and lost to Android by more than single digit % points. I don't see why the US should be any different in the long run.
Most Americans are funny. They don't realize that there is the rest of the world to learn from. I'm also thinking about how android will do 1-5 years now and not just the month after a new iphone launches.

Upvote 0
So are you saying you won't ever cheer for iOS because of hatred towards Apple? Kind of like how you hate the Packers?

I can understand that... I have that same hatred for Microsoft.

No, I don't hate Apple, I just think their computers are overprices and underpowered for the most part. They do have some nice features and the OS is cool, but I'm not willing to pay that amount of money for the performance you get.

I just really like the the Droid OS and support it 100%.

However, I do hate the Packers.

Upvote 0
Sorry but I dont live in the UK. At the end of the day when it comes down to sales, no matter how much people hate Apple here the iphone and the ipad are stil going to dominate when it comes to sales. And until Android steps up their app development im never buying an Android tablet anyways.

Actually, that is factually wrong. Android Smartphones already have a larger market share than the iphone. In fact Blackberry has a larger market share than either of them .

Upvote 0
You can not deny the successful marketing and cult following apple created around there products, that alone will ensure they keep breaking records when they release a new product.

The people on these forums are not the every day phone consumer. iDevices are polished and user friendly which sells to a larger market, Android is great, versatile and flexibile but it wont have the same appeal to a average joe than a iOS product, Apple have the mass market, Android has a niche market.

I work in a phone store and the ammount people come in without discussion and want a iPhone is staggering and we are constantly having stock issues, but when i sell a Android phone rarely the Android OS is the key influencing factor. It is the waterproof, dust proof and scratch resisant phone ie the Motorla Defy.

Upvote 0
Well Apple is so crying all the way to the bank:
Apple is still sucking most of the profit out of the mobile phone business
In the fourth quarter of 2010, the iPhone had 4.2% market share and took 51% of the profit
Apple is still sucking most of the profit out of the mobile phone business - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Tech

The iPad has 90% market share of tables. So yes more Android phones are now sold than iPhones... but the iPhones are pulling in 50+% of the PROFIT in the market... that is an astounding number, and it is not a falling number. So cr@p on Apple and iDevices all you want, but Apple's market cap now exceeds MS...

Upvote 0
I just wanted to chime in about Apple upon reading a few things here.

First off, the iPhone sells more than any other phone. I'd seriously hope so since it's a logical fallacy to argue it any other way. There can't be any other iPhone at the moment because that would disrupt Apple's marketing. They market the iPhone like it's something you'd sell your first born for. To offer a half a dozen different varieties of it would kill the luster of the iPhone relegating it to "normal" status.

Statistically and probability speaking, it is virtually impossible for any Android phone to sell more than the iPhone because the consumers have TOO MANY phones to CHOOSE from. Those are the key words with that argument. This also fits in with the iPad because it follows the same principle. You notice there isn't much argument about how the iPod sells more? That's because there are four varieties compared against a massive market of MP3 players that cost as little as $20. It only exists for the iPhone because of the status symbol Apple has marketed.

Finally, Apple's profits. I really hate Apple for their smug attitude, but they really have a genius tactic in play here. They take outdated technology that can be purchased cheaply, add their custom software that has been programmed specifically for the hardware (take note only ONE iPhone), and sell it at a 200% mark-up. I would think there was something illegal going on if they didn't make huge profits.

Before anyone mentions the whole multiple incarnations of iPhone, ask a 3GS owner how much they enjoy iOS 4.

Also, the comparisons aren't really valid. This is just a wishlist in my opinion. None of these tablets can reign supreme. Only the Xoom is actually out right now and it suffers from a high price tag, incomplete OS, lack of options compared to the iPad, and very limited apps. The LG tablet is gimmicky, the Samsung tablet is a just a blown up Galaxy Tab, and the iPad is an incremental step up (in keeping with Apple's play-it-safe-high-profit-margin tactics). Android tablets aren't going to take off until they stop getting packaged with data plan deals from carriers. Until that happens, the iPad will continue to beat all of them sadly.

Upvote 0
First off, the iPhone sells more than any other phone.

Globally?...i agree.

But, change could be in the air....since early 2010 the best selling phone in the UK has been the HTC Desire....below is a link to the top 10 selling phones in the UK this week:

The Top 10 Best Selling UK Mobile Phones - Know Your Mobile

....the iPhone doesnt even make the list.

HTC have 2 phones in the list, Sony Ericsson have 3 and Samsung have 4....there is a Blackberry in there too.

Obviously the UK market is tiny compared to US sales of the iPhone but if the UK market is able to open its eyes and look past Apple's marketing and start buying other phones purely on ability and spec rather than the logo its carrying then there's no reason the rest of the world cant.

Upvote 0
Obviously the UK market is tiny compared to US sales of the iPhone but if the UK market is able to open its eyes and look past Apple's marketing and start buying other phones purely on ability and spec rather than the logo its carrying then there's no reason the rest of the world cant.

Regional comparisons of product sales reveal more about marketing strategy than they do public decision making about "ability and spec," I think.

Apple aggression here in the U.S. reminds me of, on a smaller scale, Microsoft's world dominance/scorched Earth tactics. I'm wondering if the U.K. allows for such goings on, or Europe.

Upvote 0
I just wanted to chime in about Apple upon reading a few things here.

First off, the iPhone sells more than any other phone. I'd seriously hope so since it's a logical fallacy to argue it any other way. There can't be any other iPhone at the moment because that would disrupt Apple's marketing. They market the iPhone like it's something you'd sell your first born for. To offer a half a dozen different varieties of it would kill the luster of the iPhone relegating it to "normal" status.

Statistically and probability speaking, it is virtually impossible for any Android phone to sell more than the iPhone because the consumers have TOO MANY phones to CHOOSE from. Those are the key words with that argument. This also fits in with the iPad because it follows the same principle. You notice there isn't much argument about how the iPod sells more? That's because there are four varieties compared against a massive market of MP3 players that cost as little as $20. It only exists for the iPhone because of the status symbol Apple has marketed.

Finally, Apple's profits. I really hate Apple for their smug attitude, but they really have a genius tactic in play here. They take outdated technology that can be purchased cheaply, add their custom software that has been programmed specifically for the hardware (take note only ONE iPhone), and sell it at a 200% mark-up. I would think there was something illegal going on if they didn't make huge profits.

Before anyone mentions the whole multiple incarnations of iPhone, ask a 3GS owner how much they enjoy iOS 4.

Also, the comparisons aren't really valid. This is just a wishlist in my opinion. None of these tablets can reign supreme. Only the Xoom is actually out right now and it suffers from a high price tag, incomplete OS, lack of options compared to the iPad, and very limited apps. The LG tablet is gimmicky, the Samsung tablet is a just a blown up Galaxy Tab, and the iPad is an incremental step up (in keeping with Apple's play-it-safe-high-profit-margin tactics). Android tablets aren't going to take off until they stop getting packaged with data plan deals from carriers. Until that happens, the iPad will continue to beat all of them sadly.

Use google, look for sales info and you will find that Android and blackberry have larger market shares in the smartphone market than iPhone. Most numbers you find include iPod numbers, which are not genuine numbers.

iPhone has a good hold on the US market but world wide, Blackberry and Android have a larger market share.

Upvote 0
Again, it still makes no sense to me to boast Android numbers against the iphone when you're talking about 30 phones in comparison to 1. Is having 1% marketshare advantage impressive in that case? I dont even have an iphone but thats just the reality. And we're still talking about one phone on one carrier vs four carriers and being able to hold its own. The truth will be shown when the iphone 5 drops on the big two though.

Honestly this whole thing is kinda like boasting that Ford sold more total cars than Chevrolet sold Camaros. What does it really even matter??? At this point I care more about Google making the improvements to Android that iOS already has. There's no reason we shouldnt have TRUE hardware acceleration yet and there's also no reason why a 2nd generation iphone should still have better photos, videos, graphics and apps than we do. And please dont start with the "Android is still young" thing.. it only came out a year after the iphone did. And from the looks of it so far we're still going to go into 2012 without real hardware acceleration. Even the windows phones have it.

Upvote 0
Clearly you cant read.. I already said Android had a larger marketshare. With 30 phones in comparison to 1 iphone its a whopping 1%. Not really impressive.

And like I stated a few months ago, considering the old Win Mo was in the same situation and failed to keep its market share lead vs. the iPhone while the new kid on the block Android passed the iPhone, and did it in the same amount of time the iPhone did with passing Win Mo...

I dont care if its 1/20% larger its impressive. At some point ppl have to start giving Android credit.

We cant keep using the many vs. one excuse. Many vs. one didnt work for the mobile OS's before Android.
Honestly this whole thing is kinda like boasting that Ford sold more total cars than Chevrolet sold Camaros. What does it really even matter??? At this point I care more about Google making the improvements to Android that iOS already has. There's no reason we shouldnt have TRUE hardware acceleration yet and there's also no reason why a 2nd generation iphone should still have better photos, videos, graphics and apps than we do. And please dont start with the "Android is still young" thing.. it only came out a year after the iphone did. And from the looks of it so far we're still going to go into 2012 without real hardware acceleration. Even the windows phones have it.

Check out the details of Honeycomb. It has hardware acceleration. The next version of Android on phones will have some things from Honeycomb. Will it be acceleration? Who knows, but it is here now (in tablet form) and will be soon on phones.

Like I also stated about WP7: its smoother than Android AND the iPhone. Doesnt make it a better phone to me, doesnt mean I want one.

All it means is it has smoother scrolling....

Upvote 0
Again, it still makes no sense to me to boast Android numbers against the iphone when you're talking about 30 phones in comparison to 1. Is having 1% marketshare advantage impressive in that case? I dont even have an iphone but thats just the reality. And we're still talking about one phone on one carrier vs four carriers and being able to hold its own. The truth will be shown when the iphone 5 drops on the big two though.

It makes perfect sense to compare. Why? A simple point you are missing is that when we say "android" or "iPhone" we are comparing OS, not the phones themselves. Android OS sells slightly better than iPhone OS. Period. That's the point here. It shows that the Android OS can be and is, in fact, viable in the market.

Another reason it makes sense to compare the two is that having 30 phones gives the customer many options in features, looks, and price. This is where Android has the advantage. You can get a low end android much cheaper than an iphone (unless you are talking contracts), you can get them in various screen sizes, looks, features and manufactures.

The Android maket place isn't quite as good as itunes yet, it'd be nice to be able buy videos and music direct from the market but there is a huge selection of apps.

Variety is the biggest reason, besides the quality of the OS, that it is successful.

No, it's not killing iOS and it probably never will but it's showing that it can go toe to toe in terms of market share.

Upvote 0
Use google, look for sales info and you will find that Android and blackberry have larger market shares in the smartphone market than iPhone. Most numbers you find include iPod numbers, which are not genuine numbers.

iPhone has a good hold on the US market but world wide, Blackberry and Android have a larger market share.

I'm talking solely about iPhone sales versus any other Android phone. I know Android has the greater market share. What's at stake here is the new iPad competing with newly released Android tablets which it will beat since Android tablets are either overpriced or locked into carriers.

Upvote 0
Regional comparisons of product sales reveal more about marketing strategy than they do public decision making about "ability and spec," I think.

Apple aggression here in the U.S. reminds me of, on a smaller scale, Microsoft's world dominance/scorched Earth tactics. I'm wondering if the U.K. allows for such goings on, or Europe.

They don't in Europe anyway. It's why Microsoft keeps getting slammed with fines for anti-competitive tactics. Phones are sold unlocked with no specific ties to any one carrier though subsidization does exist. For Apple to try the same things they do in the USA would get them right in the same boat as Microsoft.

Reactions: Frisco
Upvote 0
I'm talking solely about iPhone sales versus any other Android phone. I know Android has the greater market share. What's at stake here is the new iPad competing with newly released Android tablets which it will beat since Android tablets are either overpriced or locked into carriers.

My Viewsonic G Tablet is cheaper than the iPad, and not locked to any carrier.

Next argument?

Upvote 0
iPad is currently the best engineered, slickest tablet out there. I did extensive research and considered several of the Android offerings, but none of them is as polished as the iPad at this time. Moto and Samsung have great Android tablets in the pipeline or barely released, but they are scrambling to refine them in the wake of the iPad 2.

I'm a proud Nexus One android phone user, and a Linux programmer and open source advocate for many years. The iPad is the second Apple device I've ever owned (the first was an 80 gig iPod). It's slick, easy to use, and perfect for my needs as a frequent traveler--reading, writing using a wireless keyboard or the on-screen in landscape mode, and some videos and browsing. I'm trading up to the iPad 2 because my iPad is still new.

When the really good, inexpensive Android tablets appear later this year or early next year and cost around $250 to $300 for a fully featured, awesome device, I'll pass my iPad along to my wife and my 6-year-old who will be very happy with it. Right now, though, Android on the tablet is just not there yet.

As for expandability--obviously, that would be nice. But you can connect an iPad to Linux and browse the file system, you can store your files in a webDAV site or at Google Docs, and essentially use the iPad as a cloud device. 16 gigs wifi is all I need. Sure, some day I want to have all my music on a 128 gig tablet, but I can wait.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones