• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Next phone - note 4?

I love my N3 and Ive had since November and Never off it. One of its serious flaws is the Speaker. Please Samsung listen to everyone and sort that problem out. Not so we can compete with the likes of HTC but for a more pleasurable user experience. At least put the the speaker on the front or maybe even 2 speakers????? Its a No brainer!!!

Upvote 0
I love my N3 and Ive had since November and Never off it. One of its serious flaws is the Speaker. Please Samsung listen to everyone and sort that problem out. Not so we can compete with the likes of HTC but for a more pleasurable user experience. At least put the the speaker on the front or maybe even 2 speakers????? Its a No brainer!!!

Speakers have just been something that Samsung has seen as not a real big focus on their devices. It would be nice to see a change, but I think Samsung is really content on what they're doing right now, and don't see a need to change anything up.

Reactions: Gags111
Upvote 0

I don't think the speaker or 2 on the front would be a "no brainer." That would increase the bezels, making for an even bigger physical dimension than there already is on the Note 3. I would find that to be a step back, personally, as I don't typically use my phone's speakers to listen to anything, really (I rely on bluetooth headsets or bluetooth speakers or plug in 3.5mm speakers for that).

Upvote 0
Yes I suppose that would be one draw back but if other manufacturers are able to produce versatile devices then why not Samsung? Yes more and more people are using portable Bluetooth speakers but you don't want to have to carry it around with you all the time. Each to their own I suppose. Anyway I wouldn't change my device for anything as it has a load more Advantages than most other devices.

I don't think the speaker or 2 on the front would be a "no brainer." That would increase the bezels, making for an even bigger physical dimension than there already is on the Note 3. I would find that to be a step back, personally, as I don't typically use my phone's speakers to listen to anything, really (I rely on bluetooth headsets or bluetooth speakers or plug in 3.5mm speakers for that).

Upvote 0
Yes I suppose that would be one draw back but if other manufacturers are able to produce versatile devices then why not Samsung? Yes more and more people are using portable Bluetooth speakers but you don't want to have to carry it around with you all the time. Each to their own I suppose. Anyway I wouldn't change my device for anything as it has a load more Advantages than most other devices.

One technology that I had discussed with EarlyMon, in another thread, was ability to make the screen the speaker. The tech already exists, but has yet to be thought up for mobile devices.

Upvote 0
Get rid of the home "button"
Recently my dads s4 broke. The screen touch stopped working. Luckily he had voice commands on and thanks to the home button he was able to use it until his replacement came. When my brothers Sony broke he had no chance until the new one came. On screen buttons are totally annoying and waste screen space. The buttons on the Note make me feel better about the bezels.

Upvote 0
I don't like the home button because I can't click it with the spen.

Why can't you? It can be prodded with the S-pen.

I like the home button, and indeed would add yet another physical button - a dedicated camera key.

I think my next phone will be the Note 5, given that it is a year and two weeks I can take an early upgrade.

Upvote 0
One technology that I had discussed with EarlyMon, in another thread, was ability to make the screen the speaker. The tech already exists, but has yet to be thought up for mobile devices.

It's because they would sound like crap. The glass has to be able to vibrate separately from the phone, or it's not going to be very loud. I've seen mall windows that worked that way, they sounded alright, but then they were something like 5 by 8 foot pieces of glass, and the transducer was the size of my hand.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
It's because they would sound like crap. The glass has to be able to vibrate separately from the phone, or it's not going to be very loud. I've seen mall windows that worked that way, they sounded alright, but then they were something like 5 by 8 foot pieces of glass, and the transducer was the size of my hand.

Thanks for chiming in. EarlyMon knows more aboit the tech than I do, but thought it could be such a good concept, if perfected.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure if you're familiar with planar speakers - the originals were electrostatics, and later electrodynamic types were made (the most famous being the Magnepan and Maneplanars). In each case, the entire diaphram surface is driven by a magnetic field. (My electrostatics are about 4' x 1' panels fwiw, probably not much.) Those big flat panels you've seen making sound at the IMAX or over Bob Dylan's head in his concerts (he does take his own gear around) - electrostatics.

That transducer-size-of-your-hand trick is simply relying on sound propagating faster through a solid and needing a large surface area. Not new.

There are two ways to produce sound mechanically (i.e., not getting into exotics like plasma drivers) - either my pressure displacement or by amplitude displacement.

Take a sink. Place your hand halfway in perpendicular to the surface - push back and forth - pressure displacement.

Calm the water. Place a cork in the center. Bob the cork up and down - amplitude displacement.

Watch a buoy or fishing bobber sometime. It goes up and down despite the wave energy moving through it.

Air molecules are just like that. A 120 dB measured pretty close (and I know dB isn't an absolute measure and I just violated a lot there but it's what people know, so let's accept the myth) low bass sound - the air molecules are only going to move about a half millimeter - maximum. (I actually used to know the equation to calculate that off the top of my head and I don't want to go look it up).

Typical drivers most people have seen - I don't know, how about car subwoofers that you can watch pumping like pistons - pressure displacement transducers. You want loud, you need for it to be able to travel a lot.

True planar designs not trying to cheat - really do work by molecular amplitude displacement. So - virtually no movement is needed.

And yes - they do depend on size for overall frequency response (and that's true for everything, so a screen size is actually a step above anything inside a phone) - and they depend on screen size vs power to achieve volume.

I'd have to check to see what Kyocera implemented - I've forgotten.

But - it definitely was not your mall window.

Hope that clarifies what I'd said elsewhere, cheers! :)

Upvote 0
depending on what Lenovo does with the motorla mobility line, and what samsung does for the note 5 (I'm hoping to skip 2 years)

then I might jump ship. but with just a short time with the note 3 I can't see me going to something without the stylus integration and screen size. I might could deal with something 5.2-5.4 ish instead but nothing much smaller. I'd prefer something 6.X with the full HD res (something the mega didn't offer)

depending on what HTC does I could go their route too.

and I have big hopes for the one plus

but I would not buy a note 4 - too much new untested in one device for me

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones