• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 6 Wireless Charging

You could always do what I do ...

foto-1.jpg

;)

Upvote 0
And obviously hoping it works through my supcase
Should be no problem,especially w/the charger recommended here by marctronixx:
Tylt vu charger is a recommended accessory. I've two and have been using it with the nexus since its initial launch. Has its own charger and it delivers. It also shuts off /maintains the charge whilst on the unit.

Shop around via Google search,you'll find it a bit less expensive than the MSRP.
It worked on my Nexus 6 /a Spigen Wallet Case,so,you should be OK with the Supcase installed.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0
ok thanks yep. I see that's the pad rather than the A6 stand but let's hope it's the same

See its due Wednesday, think will use my nexus charger for now, hopefully should work with that

UPDATE:

Happy days, it's only working with my old HTC One S 1A charger charger. Now to tweak notification alerts via Tasker for when my phone is sat on it.

Takes a while to balance in, as in I can put the phone down, sits for a while and then kicks in. Also noticed that it seems to stop charging about 96-97%. Is that normal?

Follow-up :

This max charge is dropping now capping at 92% so maybe it is a charger issue

UPDATE:

Randomly I done some testing at home last night and noticed that the Official N6 charger is only about 1.4a the same and found some issues, although it appeared to be only when using Dashclock as the daydream setting.

This morning in work I've had it hooked back up to my HTC One charger, turned off Dashclock and it's been holding at 100%. However this afternoon I've been in a meeting and had the phone with me. Just put it back on the dock and it seems to be failing to get past 93% again. Drops to 92%, charges, get's to 93% and stops again and then a cycle

Upvote 0
Does anybody know if the Nexus 6 supports fast wireless charging? Most of the wireless chargers I see look like they can only output 5 watts max. However, I see that Choetech has a fast version of their stadium charger that outputs 10 watts. But I don't know if the Nexus 6 can make use of this extra 5 watts. Anybody know?

Thanks.

Upvote 0
Good question. It does support the turbo charge from the included adapter, but I don't know if it translates to wireless. I will tell you that my N6 (with case on) charges faster in a Qi cradle than my other devices do with a wired adapter (S2, S3, N4, Tab 4, Tab 10.1 and *shudder* iPad Air.) I do have a little Anker hockey puck-style 1A Qi charger on my desk at work that charges more slowly, but I wouldn't expect that to be anything more.

Reactions: shalemail
Upvote 0
no this model does not support fast qi charging.

however, not all qi chargers are created equal. for example, the tylt deck chargers have a beefier current than many others and charges the phone faster.

wireless charging is not efficient so placing the phone properly on the stand/charger is more critical. misaligned charging points on the device and charger can cause the device to get hot and will also increase charging time.

Upvote 0
As far as my N6 (and N4, for that matter) is concerned, it get's warm when in a Qi-infintiy dock, but nowhere near as warm as my N4 got when I'd have it plugged into a car dock while using GPS nav for an extended period. Honestly this has been of one of the coolest phones I've ever owned ... in both senses of the word. ;)

Upvote 0
So I must be slightly daft, or it's just not that easy with the N6, but... I can't figure out how to get wireless charging to take. I have the little square glass "puck" Nexus charger that Google released last year with the N5. The N5 had pretty strong centering magnets in the body to align with the charger. I swear I read that the N6 doesn't have such magnets, and that seems to mostly play out with my N6. I don't think I'm imagining things... I think there's a slight magnetic attraction between the charger and the bottom portion of the phone, such that the phone doesn't even sit on the charger because it's too top-heavy when aligned by the magnets.

I've tried setting the N6 on there every which way (except face down... LOL), and it doesn't ever start charging. I don't recall having to "activate" wireless charging on my N5, and I can't seem to locate a place where it would be activated on the N6. What am I missing? Hoping the other three people who have been lucky enough to snag one of these can point me in the right direction...

Thanks!

Brian
I just received my Google Live case and curious about wireless charging. I gave up on the "Puck" and bought the Samsung. Works through most cases for my N6.
The "Live" case is a different animal.

Upvote 0
Not sure I understand what the "pain" with the Nexus 5 and the flat puck is ... I use one effortlessly with a N5 and N7 2013, both when they're in thin cases (e.g. the LG slipcover, and Google travel case for N7). Charges up pretty fast when the N5 is low.

But then I also have/use 3-4 Nexus 4 chargers. I've never had issues with them, though you have to clean them from time to time (or put a tennis ball can cap on them to keep dust off).

Upvote 0
How to use the Nexus Wireless Charger

With the Nexus Wireless Charger, you can conveniently charge your Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 6, or Nexus 7 (2013) without having to plug a cable into your device.

Position the Nexus Wireless Charger
To place the charger: Remove the protective film and place the charger on a dry, clean, flat, smooth surface. It adheres immediately, without any need to apply pressure. The top surface and the charging unit may become warm with normal use, but this isn't cause for concern.
To remove the charger: Pull up on one corner very gently, slowly lifting from one corner. Don't try to pull the whole charger up at once as you may damage the charger or the surface it's adhered to.

Tip: To help the charger's base adhere to a surface firmly, clean it occasionally with a soft, damp cloth. Don't use solvents, alcohol, or cleaners, as they may dissolve the micro-suction fibers that adhere the base.

Note: The top of the Nexus Wireless Charger is made of hardened glass. While the glass should withstand normal usage, it may crack if you drop the charger on a hard surface.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones