• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Nexus 7 won't turn on

DMajor239

Android Expert
Jun 16, 2011
Planet Earth
So last night when I came home from work I tried turning my nexus 7 on, but I didn't think much of it and thought that it just needed to charge. So this morning I tried charging it and nothing happened, I tried turning it on while plugged in but nothing. I don't know what to do. Has any one had this problem before :thinking:

I live on a street that seemingly has more than its fair share of older trees hanging over the power lines and it seems every time we have strong winds during a storm or an ice storm our power gets flaky.

Anytime I have had to hold the power button of my nexus until it hard powers off has been after such a power situation and it was charging.

If you experience power interrupts or surges you may notice the same behavior, a long press of the power button until the screen flickers sets it straight for me.

Upvote 0
I'm having charging issues with my son's Nexus 7. In December, it quit charging, so I took it to a local place thinking it was a problem with a loose connection, as the micro usb was loose. They had it for a month and didn't even look inside, so I brought it home yesterday.

The tablet screen doesn't even flash or anything when I plug it in. Here's a list of things I've tried:

- tighten micro usb connecter - it is no longer loose, but still won't charge
- hold down power button for 30s or longer - no joy.
- hold volume down and power button to get into bootloader - nothing happens
- remove back, unplug battery, plug it back in - again, still no luck

I've tried both the factory charger and other chargers. I've confirmed that the factory charger does work. The thing just won't charge.

Aside from taking it to yet another repair place where it might never get repaired, what can I do? My son is 8 years old and has been playing minecraft on it, and he'll be absolutely devastated if he loses all of his work in the game. Since it is out of warranty, calling Google won't do any good, and when my daughter's tablet quit charging, they just sent a new one out, so he'd still lose his work. If I could just get it to power on, I could root it, grab the minecraft files, and back them up at least... but if I plug it into my PC, the computer doesn't even recognize that there's a device plugged into it.

Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you've been having an issue! :(

There's another thread about a device that wasn't charging - http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-2012/816386-nexus-7-wont-charge-possibly-fried.html

It may or may not be the answer, but here's a response that could help you out:

My nexus did the same thing, it has to do with the power save feature. I googled the issue, after charging with the original charger for about an hour . I used the hold the power button, for a good 2-3 min. Let go then try the tap the power button 4-5 times then hold it again..first time no joy but unplugged power , replugged and on second try got the battery logo.. Rebooted it ,then actually shut it down, then completely recharged it. Since then no issues...
Hope you manage to get it sorted!!

Upvote 0
Update: When I left for work this morning, I plugged his N7 in and left it be. I got home from work and one light tap of the power button and it went straight to the Google screen (the one that normally comes up with a long press when fully powered off) and booted normally. It did cycle for a looooong time at the boot animation, but I figure something went wrong with the dalvik cache and it was rebuilding or otherwise repairing it. Everything seems fine now and based on what I observed, it seems software related, not hardware. I mean in four days it went from out of the box 4.1 to having 100+ app installed, 3 full length movies loaded on locally, and two OTA updates applied.:rolleyes:

I'll keep my eye on it, but hopefully it is clear sailing now.

Upvote 0
Update: When I left for work this morning, I plugged his N7 in and left it be. I got home from work and one light tap of the power button and it went straight to the Google screen (the one that normally comes up with a long press when fully powered off) and booted normally. It did cycle for a looooong time at the boot animation, but I figure something went wrong with the dalvik cache and it was rebuilding or otherwise repairing it. Everything seems fine now and based on what I observed, it seems software related, not hardware. I mean in four days it went from out of the box 4.1 to having 100+ app installed, 3 full length movies loaded on locally, and two OTA updates applied.:rolleyes:

I'll keep my eye on it, but hopefully it is clear sailing now.

There is hope then! :D

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Sorry to hear you've been having an issue! :(

There's another thread about a device that wasn't charging - http://androidforums.com/nexus-7-2012/816386-nexus-7-wont-charge-possibly-fried.html

It may or may not be the answer, but here's a response that could help you out:

Hope you manage to get it sorted!!

Nope. I tried that, many, many times. It didn't work. Neither did holding the volume down and power button.

Unwilling to give up, I managed to find a dock, thinking that maybe it was a problem with the micro usb port... and guess what? It charged. So now I'm in the market for a replacement part since I don't want to have to bring the dock with me if we're traveling. I've seen videos on how to replace the part, and it doesn't look hard. It's just a case of finding one, and I'm not having a whole lot of luck.

Upvote 0
Nope. I tried that, many, many times. It didn't work. Neither did holding the volume down and power button.

Unwilling to give up, I managed to find a dock, thinking that maybe it was a problem with the micro usb port... and guess what? It charged. So now I'm in the market for a replacement part since I don't want to have to bring the dock with me if we're traveling. I've seen videos on how to replace the part, and it doesn't look hard. It's just a case of finding one, and I'm not having a whole lot of luck.

If it is the USB port, you should be able to find one on eBay - nexus 7 usb port | eBay

(put a link to eBay US, as I thought that would give you a better idea than eBay UK ;))

Upvote 0
dierna, I actually did replace the charging port on an N7 (pre screen smashing:() and it was pretty easy. Here is what I posted at the time:

I just replaced mine on Monday. It isn't too difficult. You will need a very small philips head screwdriver. I was lucky as I had a donor with a smashed screen. It is actually one assembly for both the usb and headphone jack.

Asus Google Nexus 7 Dock Charging Connector Flex Cable - Parts4repair.Com

iFixit has a guide for disassembly, but it is out of order for this repair. You simply pop off the back cover, remove the screws for the speaker assembly and move it out of the way. Then remove the screws for the charging / earphone assemble. A slight tug will remove the ribbon cable coming from under the battery, and it will easily slide back into the replacement jack.

A followup poster added on:
about the ribbon cable...

There is a small latching flap on the connector, mainboard side. It should be gently flipped up before sliding the ribbon into it, and then latched down once the ribbon is in place.

Forcing the ribbon into the closed connector could damage it.

About the only thing I could add is you will need a tiny screwdriver. I had a set of tiny ones and they weren't small enough. I had to remove / replace some of the screws with the tip of a razor blade.

Reactions: dierna and D-U-R-X
Upvote 0
If it is the USB port, you should be able to find one on eBay - nexus 7 usb port | eBay

(put a link to eBay US, as I thought that would give you a better idea than eBay UK ;))

I was planning on trying ebay, I just hadn't had a chance to look there yet. I'm in Canada, so the difficulty is that some sellers don't ship here, so there's a bit more legwork involved ;)

dierna, I actually did replace the charging port on an N7 (pre screen smashing:() and it was pretty easy. Here is what I posted at the time:

A followup poster added on:

About the only thing I could add is you will need a tiny screwdriver. I had a set of tiny ones and they weren't small enough. I had to remove / replace some of the screws with the tip of a razor blade.

Thanks so much. I saw a youtube video showing how it is done, complete with the guy's kid talking in the background!

I've already mucked with the part, having unscrewed it to see what the deal was, so I know I have the right screwdriver ;). I tightened up the metal female part inside the tablet, since it was loose. I had hoped that was the problem, but I think that the part inside that has come loose or broken, which would explain why my pc won't recognize the tablet as being plugged in, as well as why it won't charge via usb.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones