• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

nexus one: possible fatal flaw?????

Haldo

Feb 7, 2010
Nexus One cracked screen: How did our Google phone break? - Crave at CNET UK

check the article ^^^^^^^^^^

my nexus one is due to arrive this week (i live in scotland) and this article has gotten me worried.

make sure to read the comments at the end of the article, because this seems to be a problem that others have encountered.

some are saying the phone design is too flimsy and thin and it will break the screen with just a slight bend.

others are saying the battery may be swelling in size during charging, causing it to press against the underside of the screen, causing the cracks.

anyone have any thoughts??

panic.gif

Upvote 0
some are saying the phone design is too flimsy and thin and it will break the screen with just a slight bend.

others are saying the battery may be swelling in size during charging, causing it to press against the underside of the screen, causing the cracks.

I suspect it's related to global warming. As the mean temperature rises, and the hole in the ozone layer expands, the Nexus One, as designed, attempts to compensate by absorbing additional carbon dioxide - this is a well documented feature that Google has included in an attempt to combat global warming. The problem arises when using the included 4 GB MicroSD card. It's simply too small to handle the CO2 absorption.

Note that this problem does not appear to be reported by those who have switched to a larger storage card, alleviating the pressure.

Upvote 0
Nexus One cracked screen: How did our Google phone break? - Crave at CNET UK

check the article ^^^^^^^^^^

my nexus one is due to arrive this week (i live in scotland) and this article has gotten me worried.

make sure to read the comments at the end of the article, because this seems to be a problem that others have encountered.

So they left phone unattended, say they don't know what happened, came back and it was broke LOL Pretty fishy story, sounds like an attempt to dig up page hits. If they really don't know what happened I'd venture a guess someone came by and smashed it with thier hand thus not leaving any blemishes on the glass but the extreme flex of the glass under pressure managed to break the oled display underneath it.

If it was, as they say possibly caused by the battery swelling from overcharging then why don't they show pics of the swelled battery? I have had lithium batteries swell before and they dont shrink back afterwards they stay like that forever and are ruined.

I'm just not buying it, sounds like someone trying to get their phone fixed for free to me LOL

Upvote 0
I was thinking about proporta's case when it comes out (probably March or April?), but after watching the google videos, I wonder how the noise cancelling stuff (I never knew it had that - can't wait to get mine and try it out in a noisy room!) will work if the rear mic is in the case..

Upvote 0
As someone who used to do tech support for a few major cell companies, that story has been told to me at least 1000 times. Also, I'm very sure that their dog ate their homework.

Cracks under a screen indicate severe bending, enough that a metal case would show dents or a good bit of moisture expanding between the two screens. The moisture problem used to happen to sidekick LGs but I severely doubt that the N1 was built in such a way that moisture could even get between them, so bending looks to be the problem. The purple bruise simply comes from the under screen fractures.

Also OP, thanks for the super sensationalist title. I can't wait to see iPhone supporters throwing a link to this exact thread, quoting that title while chortling into their iPads.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones