• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

NFC doesn't work-Android beam ok?

BenJ5

Lurker
Jan 22, 2019
Hi Guys,

My wife and I have a Samsung J5, hers is 2016 mine is 2017 and both are NFC isn't working. I can transfer photos by pressing the 2 phones together no problem, but if I try and look at a NFC tag, I cant read them. I've downloaded 2 NFC apps, and they both can't read the tag, theres no acknowledgement or anything.
I saw in another forum to try and delete the cache partition in manual mode, after I rebooted it read one tag then nothing after. Now when I delete the cache, nothing happens.
Is it possible for the NFC to not work but the android beam to work?

Any ideas,

Android 8.1.0 Samsung exp ver 9.5

cheers

Using Samsung's S Beam, it uses NFC to set up the link between your two phones but uses WiFi Direct as the actual transfer protocol. If you look in your Settings menu, NFC is enabled, yes?
Since S Beam relies on NFC and WiFi Direct, when you enable it that should also automatically enable NFC, but keep in mind that NFC isn't dependent on S Beam nor WiFi Direct so it's not a vice-versa issue.

Upvote 0
Using Samsung's S Beam, it uses NFC to set up the link between your two phones but uses WiFi Direct as the actual transfer protocol. If you look in your Settings menu, NFC is enabled, yes?
Since S Beam relies on NFC and WiFi Direct, when you enable it that should also automatically enable NFC, but keep in mind that NFC isn't dependent on S Beam nor WiFi Direct so it's not a vice-versa issue.

thanks for the reply, that makes a lot of sense, but has confused me more. yeah both android beam and NFC are switched on, I've swapped from Auto,SE sim card and android operating system in the NFC default processing method, all the same.
I just can't believe that both J5's have an issue, so it must be user error or software??
I'm trying to read the NFC tag in a passport or debit card and nothing, but it did read my card once??

Upvote 0
http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/c...621/SM-J530_UM_EU_Oreo_Eng_Rev.1.0_180917.pdf
(see pg. 113)

This is puzzling, NFC is apparently working for you, just not consistently. Apparently the NFC detecting antenna on a J5 is located in the back in the upper third. That's about where you're holding your phone next to a NFC tag as you're attempting to read it, yes?
(Apologies for appearing to be dismissive or too basic asking such pedantic questions but it's hard to determine what might be going on over an online help forum with no way to do any hands-on fiddling,)

Just a couple of random thoughts. If you have any kind of anti-virus/anti-malware app installed, try disabling it temporarily to see if NFC functionality starts working all the time again. (Those kinds of utilities tend to integrate themselves into a phone's basic functionality, especially when it comes to inbound/outbound connectivity like WiFi, mobile data, Bluetooth, and NFC.so its not surprising then they also introduce their own problems).
And this is mostly just flipping a coin but try booting up into your phone's Safe Mode and see if that makes any difference:
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-j500f-galaxy-j5/safe-mode/
While running in Safe Mode it's basically just the Android OS without any third-party apps or services getting pre-loaded into RAM the way they normally would. If NFC works more consistently while in Safe Mode that indicates some app that was installed is hampering its functionality. Then it becomes a matter of figuring just which app it is (and either uninstalling it or messing with its Permissions so it's not conflicting with NFC).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones