• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No Fascinate till early fall-androidandme.com

Verizon is in business and that means they are going to do what they feel is best for their business. They have to look at the big picture and if they believed that releasing the Fascinate earlier would be the most profitable option for them then I believe that they would have done it. The same with delaying the release, they have to believe it makes sense for some reason and I doubt they're doing it just frustrate certain individuals.

Here's one WAG on it. It looks like the rumored Droid Pro may be pushed back to late in this year or early next year, Windows Phone 7 is maybe November and the Nexus Two future is uncertain. This seems to potentially be leaving Verizon with a larger than expected gap between the Droid X and Droid 2 release and any of those phones being available. Pushing back the release of the Fascinate could help avoid a feast and famine situation with multiple high end smartphones released in a short time period, and competing with one another, and then nothing new to offer for several months.

I think the Droid X may have been pushed out first as the Fascinate would be hard to present as anything other than a Captivate alternative while as a carrier exclusive product quite different from anything AT&T offers the Droid X was easier to promote as an iPhone 4 alternative.

Upvote 0
Verizon is in business and that means they are going to do what they feel is best for their business. They have to look at the big picture and if they believed that releasing the Fascinate earlier would be the most profitable option for them then I believe that they would have done it. The same with delaying the release, they have to believe it makes sense for some reason and I doubt they're doing it just frustrate certain individuals.

Here's one WAG on it. It looks like the rumored Droid Pro may be pushed back to late in this year or early next year, Windows Phone 7 is maybe November and the Nexus Two future is uncertain. This seems to potentially be leaving Verizon with a larger than expected gap between the Droid X and Droid 2 release and any of those phones being available. Pushing back the release of the Fascinate could help avoid a feast and famine situation with multiple high end smartphones released in a short time period, and competing with one another, and then nothing new to offer for several months.

I think the Droid X may have been pushed out first as the Fascinate would be hard to present as anything other than a Captivate alternative while as a carrier exclusive product quite different from anything AT&T offers the Droid X was easier to promote as an iPhone 4 alternative.

I believe VZW thinks it's in their best interests to wait. I just am completely sure IMO that it is not in their best interests. I won't reiterate my earlier post as to why, but I stand by it ..

Upvote 0
I believe VZW thinks it's in their best interests to wait. I just am completely sure IMO that it is not in their best interests. I won't reiterate my earlier post as to why, but I stand by it ..
I think as far as sales go if Fascinate is released it would not really affect the overall sale much.
But I think POSSIBLY Moto and VZW have a deal or something.

Upvote 0
lonzom10, I'm in a very similar situation... in my case, Verizon is losing my business as long as they delay the Fascinate.

I've been with AT&T for years, and I'm still limping along with an ancient Samsung Blackjack. I'm desperate to get an Android smart phone, but I've decided the Galaxy S is what I want. I could have a Captivate already if I wanted to stay with AT&T, but they have no 3G coverage where I live. So I'm ready to switch to Verizon the minute they're ready to sell me the phone I want.

I don't want the Droid X or the Droid 2. I could probably be happy with the Incredible, but I really prefer the display on the Fascinate. And so I continue paying AT&T for service I don't want, because Verizon refuses to sell the phone that will get my business!

Oh, well. As Old Man said, this is about Verizon's overall business strategy, not about one or two impatient customers. In the long run, a six-week wait ain't gonna kill me. I just wish Verizon would at *least* admit they're planning to release the thing and tell us roughly when, instead of playing this stupid game of pretending it doesn't exist at all.

Upvote 0
...I'm still limping along with an ancient Samsung Blackjack. I'm desperate to get an Android smart phone, but I've decided the Galaxy S is what I want.

Haha I loved the Samsung Blackjack!! That was a good phone. I had that back in 2007(?). It was a good phone and it was my first phone I managed to get to use for free tethering lol.

But anyway, yeah I have the Droid X. Just got it about 5 days ago now. Not really loving it... Doesn't have the "wow" factor for me. I am going to go back to my Droid Eris and save my upgrade until the Samsung Fascinate comes out or something that I know will make me happy for a while.

Upvote 0

I get their reasons OM, I really do... but that doesnt mean I have to like or agree with them. I understand they are out to make money and as a business, that's all they really care about. As a businessman I get that but as a customer it's extremely frustrating.

Upvote 0
I took the leap and placed an order for a DroidX, its a great phone and has two recoveries, running Froyo for rooted and no rooted phones as Friday. Koush has his working with Rom Manager now, so there will be a great leap in developers for the DroidX now.

I did want the Samsung Fascinate, it definitely has a great form factor. I'm just not that willing to wait anymore, once even the mention of October came around that was when my mind hoped the DroidX recover/Froyo would happen soon. So the screen won't have as much color saturation but it is bigger, one thing both phones lack is the Droid's kick ass speaker...both these phones should have at least as good a speaker as the Droid considering they portray these phones as watching movies/etc on them.

Well I still should have to a few days into October to trade the DroidX in by time it gets delivered to me and the 30 day period ends. I am honestly excited to see Koush get CM6 running on this phone, also cant wait to stream the NFL network games to my bigscreen TV.

Upvote 0
I took the leap and placed an order for a DroidX, its a great phone and has two recoveries, running Froyo for rooted and no rooted phones as Friday. Koush has his working with Rom Manager now, so there will be a great leap in developers for the DroidX now.

I did want the Samsung Fascinate, it definitely has a great form factor. I'm just not that willing to wait anymore, once even the mention of October came around that was when my mind hoped the DroidX recover/Froyo would happen soon. So the screen won't have as much color saturation but it is bigger, one thing both phones lack is the Droid's kick ass speaker...both these phones should have at least as good a speaker as the Droid considering they portray these phones as watching movies/etc on them.

Well I still should have to a few days into October to trade the DroidX in by time it gets delivered to me and the 30 day period ends. I am honestly excited to see Koush get CM6 running on this phone, also cant wait to stream the NFL network games to my bigscreen TV.

Im going to wait and see what the fascinate has to offer. I had the X and it just wasnt for me so if i play with the fascinate in store and dont like it i will just hold out and wait for something else

Upvote 0
Im going to wait and see what the fascinate has to offer. I had the X and it just wasnt for me so if i play with the fascinate in store and dont like it i will just hold out and wait for something else

Go play with the AT&T or TMO version, now doubt an awesome phone. The screen just pops, I just think Verizon will not release it for the GPS(this is pretty much done) and especially that its not running Froyo issues. It's too bad I really liked it, but I certainly will like the X and my wife wants my Droid so its a win/win.

Upvote 0
Go play with the AT&T or TMO version, now doubt an awesome phone. The screen just pops, I just think Verizon will not release it for the GPS(this is pretty much done) and especially that its not running Froyo issues. It's too bad I really liked it, but I certainly will like the X and my wife wants my Droid so its a win/win.

I played with the tmobile version and liked it. Verizon is going to release it they are just waiting i mean they originally said late summer/fall so we still have time and who knows maybe they will release it with 2.2 that could be the delay, that and the gps issue they could be waiting for the september fix that is supposedly going to be coming out. Who knows with verizon.

Upvote 0
Makes sense, just keep in mind that the longer you wait, the longer until you can upgrade again without paying full retail price. That may not affect many people but for those considering potentially upgrading to an LTE phone if/when they are released sometime next year it could be a factor.

Upvote 0
Makes sense, just keep in mind that the longer you wait, the longer until you can upgrade again without paying full retail price. That may not affect many people but for those considering potentially upgrading to an LTE phone if/when they are released sometime next year it could be a factor.

1 year contract solves that that's what I'm going to get anyway.

Upvote 0
1 year contract solves that that's what I'm going to get anyway.
If you are on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher, register with My Verizon and agree to renew for an additional 2 years, you can also upgrade after one year of a two year contract while getting the two year contract price on the phone (but no New Every Two, which also does not apply to one year contracts). But in either case, the longer you wait, the longer until that year passes.

Upvote 0
If you are on a calling plan of $49.99 or higher, register with My Verizon and agree to renew for an additional 2 years, you can also upgrade after one year of a two year contract while getting the two year contract price on the phone (but no New Every Two, which also does not apply to one year contracts). But in either case, the longer you wait, the longer until that year passes.

Im fine with waiting and you dont wait the whole year anyway its like 10 months and then you can upgrade again or something like that. I know how the my verizon works but why sign for 2 years and then upgrade halfway through i will just get a one year contract i can wait a few months into next year IF any LTE phones are out by then.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones