• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

No internet access on laptop via Hotspot or Tethering

rbjhb

Sep 2, 2012
When I activate the Wifi Hotspot on my Note 4, and connect to it on my laptop using the password that my phone gives me, it connects to the phone, but either shows "No Internet Access", or it shows "Internet Access" but it won't reach any websites, my mail package won't fetch mail, etc. I have data loaded onto my phone and the phone is accessing the Internet no problem. When I tether via USB, sometimes I get an error message that the USB device is not recognized (I try both ports), and sometimes it does see the device, but shows something like "Network 10 - No Internet Access".

I have an old Note 2. If I take the sim card out of the Note 4 and put it into the Note 2, the same laptop connects to the old Note 2 either via Wifi Hotspot or via USB Tethering (same cable as I've tried with the Note 4) and accesses the Internet no problem

Any ideas?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones