• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root OFFICIAL CYANAGENMOD 7.2 Thread! (UPDATED 29/05)

Have a look HERE

as it shows how to report issues for official CM.

I read it but its too much work.

I want to report stuff not start collecting debug logs.

Your reply is what I expected that washing hands of the issue on BLN, because all the app does is tell the rom/kernel when to turn on the LED. So something in the ROM is making it go crazy when the screen is off. Or maybe the kernel is using a dodgy driver, which is why this should be built into CM, BLN is commonly used and CM refuse to include it in their kernel, maybe they couldnt get it to work, too much work perhaps? ok not include it and blame 3rd party easy :) Am I been harsh? maybe, but I would have more respect if was something like ok we will look into it because we want you to use our rom and this leaves a bad impression.

Regarding the bbc news app I did a test.

I went back to stock, played a video, it redirects to an app called movies and plays. On CM it redirects to an app called films and says cant play the video.

Your comment about trackball is bad very bad, I didnt know what the hell a trackball was and I would expect the software to at the very least to warn me.

The reason the other roms (based on CM) also have the problems is well because they are ultimately still CM just with their own fixes and skinning etc.

This new build is marked as UNOFFICIAL so I guess not quite a nightly, I installed it now here is whats interesting on the BLN.

I installed a BLN kernel again, but like the offical nightly BLN still doesnt work, which backs up what I am saying, the ROM itself also handles the backlights because I have the liblights error again. So those guys grif and vo-1 who made BLN compatible versions have used some modifications to the rom. Most likely they did something wrong but all this stems from CM from CM modifiying liblights because on stock its enough to just install cf-root and not also mess with liblights. What I would try if I knew how is to grab stock liblights and put in this rom to see if it works. But I dont know what the filenames are.

Finally on this new build superuser is hosed, I had to redownload it of the market and a fix app for the updater to force it to update, it wasnt detecting root apps so they were all been refused root access.

If CM want to make some money and see sense, pass me their email address, I will talk to them and pay for this fix. If not I guess I need to try and find my own solution or see if there is other roms as fast as CM :) ideally I dont want to go back to stock because its sooo much slower.

Upvote 0
Look. Its not washing my hands its a fact bln quite clearly state on the market that it doesn't work with all kernels. That is the app developers skills or choice not cm. Cm is free and built the way cm want it. like it or dont. I'm not in any way shape or form associated with them I just took time to put up a thread and a guide on how to install it. If you want to report a bug then report it in the way that is set out. But a fault with an app designed by someone else or someone elses kernel probably won't be looked at as its not their software........

Upvote 0
ok I got an old liblights from a CWM backup and BLN pro appears to be working normal. I say appear as in the past I have jumped the gun a bit.

Ths is the 14may build.

BLN is defenitly improved with the stock liblights, now if set to keep led's on non blinking they stay on all the time. However blinking is still messed up. I may attempt to work on this myself actually :)

Sorry if I took it out on you, sometimes I get over frustrated and am not polite.

Upvote 0
yeah I was probably barking up wrong tree.

Fair enough CM officially dont want to enable BLN, so really I should be reporting to BLN dev which I did and/or the rom dev for the modded rom.

But anyway I am going to migrate all my apps etc. today to the 14th may build and see how that runs. On BLN I found if I set the blink on period for under 4 seconds it works as it should, so I have it set a bit different now so it works ok with CM, but I want to migrate to the 14th may build as that works better than the earlier build with it.

Battery drain at the moment seems high when idle using smartassv2 on it but its still a lot of short term use between charges as I am playing with it so not a long term report on that.

Just me here and you 2 guys using CM?

Upvote 0
now its dtapps2sd turn to act funky on CM.

on the other builds it worked fine, now its using my fat sdcard space as sd-ext. However I did a test, restored the CWM backup prior to installing dt and sd-ext was mounted fine on the ext3 partition, but after installing the zip that partition is not mounted and it mounts the fat sdcard partition twice as sd-ext and sdcard. So looks like some other funky bug in this build breaking dtapps now.

--edit--

I see is 2se for CM which seems the same as DT. So using that now on this new rom with my testing and seems to work.

Upvote 0
ok sorry for the mess but I need to clear this up.

The BLN issue is kernel based. As I tested on some stock based roms which had the same issue, but I fixed them by downgrading their kernels to cf-root b82 (b83 and b84 have same problems as CM). Of course to use BLN on CM I have to use an unofficial kernel which was blackhawk meaning its not a CM rom issue.

2se seems a good enough replacement for DT as well. So that issue on the latest build is a minor issue regarding DT.

After trying a couple of other roms I probably am going to go back to CM now, it feels cleaner than other non stock roms and is still the fastest out of all I have tried.

Finally I noticed my backup root loses the date's on sms backups, when restored they all have the current date/time. GoSMS if people are using that, use the backup/restore from that instead as it preserves the date/time.

Upvote 0
Hi, i'm new with android. I read lots of information, but i bricked my phone....

Let me tell you what i did:

I follow the steps 1 to 5 without any problem. In step 6, reboot in recovery from CWM, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache....

When i need to apply update from sdcard, i remember that i forgot to put the CM7 zip file in sd, so i try to reboot my phone, and then connect it to my pc and transfer the file...

But when i reboot the phone it remains on a cycle between operator logo and samsung logo....and never finish starting..

Some help?

edit:

I try to restore (from bacup and restore) in the recovery mode, but it doesn't works, the phone continue with the cycle between operator logo and samsung logo.

Upvote 0
I tried CM 7.2 last week end and i am quite impressed with it specially the customization it allows to do but at the same time i noticed the the battery consumption is very high and i was wondering if there is any way to fix this.. but all an all gr8 work guys its good to know that there will be other options out there for our SGA when samsung stops supporting it.

Upvote 0
Dude this is the OFFICIAL CYANOGENMOD thread :p
PJ147 is merely comparing the battery on official CM with the unofficial KANG builds. This is the best battery you will get on a default(no tweeks) CM rom.

If battery is a big issue for you then its better that you switch back to stock.

I think what many of us are thinking tho is do the CM dev's see battery life as a bug that needs fixing, or is it something that will never change. I am dissapointed if its the latter and would at least like to see an answer as to why that is. I plan to go revert back to CM soon (I still need to make a looping ringtone and fix BLN) and still havent really used it for any long stretches of time to make a proper judgement on the battery life. But what I did observe is that the ebay app on CM kept trying to access the internet whilst the screen was off, lots of requests in droidwall and wakelocks. On stock the app doesnt do this, so CM dev's seem to have changed things to break some apps, as I already noted problems with the bbc app as well.

Going back to stock isnt an answer as that has its own issues :p

For me its.

Stock, poor predict text feature on keyboard, is quite bad such as missing lots of words and forcing bad words on you with an auto correct that cant be turned off. Poor phone dialer compared to CM. Laggy contacts app. Laggy in general which is still evident even on ext4.

CM, weird design choice to not loop ringtones, no groups in contacts, poorer battery life?? and BLN issue (although this appears to be app/kernel issue). Poorer screen lock.

CM has a nicer predictive text on the keyboard, a better dialer prediction as well, much nicer theme, is on steroids with the speed, extra settings.

Long term I will be using CM but it needs work from me to get round the issues I have with it and I havent the time at the moment as it gives phone downtime, also CM is still not in gold status so lots of updates so wiping apps etc. restoring them for each update also requires time although it may be possible to install these updates just on top of each other?

Upvote 0
Hi, i'm new with android. I read lots of information, but i bricked my phone....

Let me tell you what i did:

I follow the steps 1 to 5 without any problem. In step 6, reboot in recovery from CWM, wipe data/factory reset, wipe cache partition and wipe dalvik cache....

When i need to apply update from sdcard, i remember that i forgot to put the CM7 zip file in sd, so i try to reboot my phone, and then connect it to my pc and transfer the file...

But when i reboot the phone it remains on a cycle between operator logo and samsung logo....and never finish starting..

Some help?

edit:

I try to restore (from bacup and restore) in the recovery mode, but it doesn't works, the phone continue with the cycle between operator logo and samsung logo.

Basicially you have wiped the rom so there is nothing to boot into. Restoring a CWM backup wont work as the file systems are different. See the uninstalling guide and flash a stock rom with ODIN and start the process again (not forgetting to put the file on SD this time!)

Good luck:)

Upvote 0
Maybe I am cursed who knows ;)

Problems from take 2 trying CM 7.2

On official RC3 build.

1 - installing apps from play store causes black screen and reboot, at first thought was just google maps but is every app, sometimes no reboot and just says "invalid package data" if lucky. Never had this before on any other rom including older CM builds.
2 - compass function doesnt work, noticed on GPS TEST app that it doesnt show my heading.
3 - Sometimes phone stays booting forever, forcing another reboot with power button it then boots.
4 - No gpsd binary, had to copy one from lagloose fix package.

Upvote 0
Maybe I am cursed who knows ;)

Problems from take 2 trying CM 7.2

On official RC3 build.

1 - installing apps from play store causes black screen and reboot, at first thought was just google maps but is every app, sometimes no reboot and just says "invalid package data" if lucky. Never had this before on any other rom including older CM builds.
2 - compass function doesnt work, noticed on GPS TEST app that it doesnt show my heading.
3 - Sometimes phone stays booting forever, forcing another reboot with power button it then boots.

Updated too vo-1's 30may build based on RC3.

Fixed

This is a kernel issue it seems, works ok on stock CM kernel, but many people dont use stock kernel as it lacks features, on vo-1's build this is fixed with better kernel.

Seems fixed.

Fixed in vo-1 build. Although lock time is slower than I had with stock CM (after I manually fixed).

Upvote 0
Ok spoke to coolya on XDA on the looping ringtones, progress.

If I understand him right mp3 files are actually supposed to loop and so may be a bug, waiting for clarification on this.
He told me OGG files need a variable adding to their headers to make them loop, so I converted it to OGG and added the variable and now my ringtone loops, great!!

I reported back to him it worked but also told him it was originally a mp3.

Upvote 0
I have been searching a way to replace system app with other app. I successfully replaced my music app in cyanogenmod 7.2 with a miui music app through root explorer but when I tried to do same with the message app nothing happens and the message app disappears from the app drawer.
Please tell me a way to replace it
1) by root explorer.
2) by flashing a zip of that app.

I have a link where a tutorial on replacing a system message app is given but it is for stock rom

(galaxyacehvgagames.blogspot.com/search/label/Trick)

Can you also tell me is it possible to make a flashable zip of any .apk file.
I am on cm7.2 nightly cooper.
I need to this as the default mms.apk has no option for selecting recipients neither from contacts nor from recently contacted.
Please see the link above and tell me why that tutorial didn't work.

Upvote 0
Too many tutorials on the net copying and pasting from othe rplaces without testing accuracy.

I dont know if its a good idea to wipe the stock messaging app, all I did was install gosms pro and then disabled notifications in the stock app, I then also dragged the gosms logo to the home screen for easy access. So when you get new sms the stock messaging app wont notify anymore and is effectively invisible.

Upvote 0
Its possible that the app you were trying to replace your mms.apk was incompatible with the rom's framework, in this case the app doesn't get installed in the system.
Usually the stock mms.apk might not install on a CM rom as there framework is different.

P.S never replace system launcher untill unless you have another one installed and working properly.

Upvote 0
Its possible that the app you were trying to replace your mms.apk was incompatible with the rom's framework, in this case the app doesn't get installed in the system.
Usually the stock mms.apk might not install on a CM rom as there framework is different.

P.S never replace system launcher untill unless you have another one installed and working properly.
very true. Had problems where I have rolled back with a CWM backup after deleting the launcher and forgetting to install another one. Makes an interesting reflash scenario!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones