• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really hoping this T-Mobile event on the 16th is them announcing the GSM Nexus on their network with concrete release date. Even if it's few weeks out, I'm thinking I might just wait and make the jump. My VZW contract is up at the end of this month and I'd like to keep my unlimited data, but if the HSPA/GSM version gets better battery life and I can get a cheaper plan on TMO, thing it just might be time to switch carriers.

I also have to say that the way VZW has handled this has left a pretty bad taste in my mouth (not to mention their stance against unlocked bootloaders on other devices). Their network is the best, but I'm not a fan of their business philosophy or prices. I know they haven't actually announced a release date yet so it's somewhat unfair to get upset about the 'delay', but it bothers me that they have been sandbagging this device in favor of handsets that are easier to market and allow them to push bloatware.

Upvote 0
Or maybe I can threaten Verizon Customer Care to jump ship to AT&T now that I’m month to month, unless they give me another return window and notate it in my account.

Han... Unless I'm completely reading it wrong, you get one return per purchase not one return over the lifetime of your Verizon account.

They aren't going to let you keep returning phones from the same purchase, but every new purchase should have the same return policy

Upvote 0
Looking at the pic, I am still a little confused what the 3 dots on the side of the phone are going to be used for. It has a cut-out on the bottom of the dock for the regular charger...so why the 3 charging dots? :thinking::thinking:

Maybe because some people - like me - prefer to dock their phones horizontally? :thinking:

Any other explanation is welcome...

Upvote 0
So many other lurkers have come out of hiding that I decided it was time to announce my presence as well. :)

I'm a bit of a computer geek, but up until recently didn't really pay much attention to phones. I'm still using a Blackberry Curve 8330 that I got from Verizon almost 2 1/2 years ago (with a grandfathered unlimited data plan!). I've been eligible for an upgrade since the end of January but didn't see a phone out there to get excited about and I wasn't having any problems with what I had. Nothing made by Blackberry or Palm seemed that impressive and I didn't know anything about Android. I thought about getting the iPhone 4 when that first came out on Verizon, but couldn't see wasting the upgrade on that when a new iPhone would be out in just a few months. Then when the iPhone 4S was finally released in October, I was very disappointed that it didn't support LTE, which had been available in my area for a few months already. Given how old my BB is, I decided it was time to research all my options. I looked at all the LTE phones available on Verizon, but still wasn't that impressed with any of them. So I moved on to general web searches and stumbled across an article about the "Nexus Prime". The more I read about it, the more I started to finally get excited! After watching the Samsung/Google launch event live on YouTube, that was it. I knew the Galaxy Nexus was the phone I had been waiting for. I've been obsessed with it ever since, with daily Google searches to find more information. I've come up to speed fairly quick with all that is Android.

Since I stumbled upon this forum, I've been wasting a lot of time keeping up with all the discussion (a lot of it at work). I can't wait to get my hands on this phone!! I hadn't known what I was missing before by not upgrading to an Android sooner, but now that I do, I'm just glad that the first Android I will get to play with will be a Nexus running a (from what I can tell) greatly improved OS. I'm really looking forward to being able to read more than just plain text e-mails and for websites to load fast enough and with few enough errors to actually make that feature useful (my phone now is worse than dial-up). Of course thats not even going into all the new features in ICS. I'm going to continue to be patient and wait for the GSN though. The specs on Rezound don't look bad, but its not worth giving in and getting that instead. I've waited this long; I can wait a bit longer. My birthday is the 19th so I would love it if the 17th as a release date pans out for the GSN!

Welcome!

I'm exit 5 on the Turnpike - Burlington County. I don't slum it on the Parkway :p

I prefer the turnpike. I know how to run with the trucks and they play nicer when they realize I help rather than promote stupidity. You're quite a ways down there!

Ok, time to actually do something with my day today.

Grocery store and the gym it is. I'm going to miss 29000, but 30k is mine ;)

Didn't you learn how to multi task yet??? :p
Kidding

Welcome Lovebyte! Great name, BTW.

I'm starting to think that Verizon needs to release this phone more for the economy and everyone's employers than any other reason.

I agree!

Upvote 0
Two things; first, I'm not using my last NE2 on anything less than my hearts desire, and the Rezound and Razr just ain't it. Next, I'm now certain why we didn't get the Original Nexus. Google grew tired of Verizon's crap. Its highly unlikely at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if Google didn't just pull the phone and never looked back. I am certain that Google won't being another flagship device to Verizon Wireless.

Upvote 0
I can only imagine how many posts this thread will see were the phone to not release on Verizon until mid to late December. *shudder*

Also, for those not on Verizon who are waiting for the GNex to release before you join, I suggest jumping on sooner than later if you're a heavy data user. Given that such users would be coming onto the tiered data plan, it'd be in their best interest to take advantage of the double data special before it expires. Especially now that it's been announced you have until Jan 9 to swap out the phone, if desired. Again, this only really affects heavy data users, but if you expect to do a lot of streaming or using the cloud when not on wi-fi, it may be worth considering. I have grandfathered unlimited data, but try to be mindful that not everyone is in the same boat. Also, if you grab a Rezound you get an extra 5Gb of Dropbox account space. That's not a draw for everyone, but you could do worse while waiting for the Nexus.

Hm, apparently I blew past 100 posts already. :)

Upvote 0
Two things; first, I'm not using my last NE2 on anything less than my hearts desire, and the Rezound and Razr just ain't it. Next, I'm now certain why we didn't get the Original Nexus. Google grew tired of Verizon's crap. Its highly unlikely at this point, but it wouldn't surprise me if Google didn't just pull the phone and never looked back. I am certain that Google won't being another flagship device to Verizon Wireless.

I think it's probably impossible for them to pull the phone from Verizon...I mean they are probably already built and packaged anyway and as far as I know these versions aren't compatible with any other network, so there's no way they pull the plug.

With that said, I have a strong hunch that Google is doing all they can to now speed up the phone's release on other US carriers. The fact that they released the ICS source before the phone strongly suggests that google expected the phone to be out by now and just stuck to their planned date for releasing the source anyway. They can't be happy that their exclusive launch partner is doing everything they can to promote other devices right now.

Upvote 0
Welcome!

I prefer the turnpike. I know how to run with the trucks and they play nicer when they realize I help rather than promote stupidity. You're quite a ways down there!

Didn't you learn how to multi task yet??? :p
Kidding

I agree!

I'm about 10 minutes south of Burlington, if you know where that is -25 to 30 mins south of Trenton. Not Deliverance South Jersey, but South Jersey all the same. ALthough, some people including me would consider this Central Jersey, but I'm a Pennsy boy at heart.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones