• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of people have been posting scores (consistently) in the 30-50 range, depending on the area obliviously.

I get 5 up and 10-16 down :( on crapcast cable

Just saying -

By the way, I can now report that my 3G speeds have doubled on Sprint, using the Speedtest app.

It completely disagrees with Open Signal Maps and Speakeasy - Speed Test (both of which agree with each other) and is ridiculous in claiming that I now have service that is easily double that of my actual local tower rate.

I'd urge a cross-check with Speakeasy or http://speedtest.net against your Speedtest app before trusting results.

;)

I found that after a recent app update. I could be wrong for you guys, but I'd check.

PS - Like megapixels on a camera, speed is only one metric - you want to care about latency - a lot. ;)

Upvote 0
That's not info, it is your guess. I was told last Wednesday that the release was end of November but Samsung and Google ready and it should have been out with the GSM release. NDAs got in the way of being to specific but there was a "software" problem holding the Verizon version back though like I said, Samsung and Google were ready.

My guess is that the reason the GSM version came out on the 17th and not earlier was because of Google/Samsung.

In all fairness, that's a guess as well. ;)

But it is fact that the LTE model hadn't been finalized by the date of the HK announcement. If it was, they could have specified an exact thickness.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
Days go by and no real news as expected. I have been throwing around some wild ideas on what my next step will be if SGN is not out on VZW by December 8? I am just really tired of my iPhone 4 to be honest with you, and RZR and Rezounds are not the players at all. I am considering switching to ATT and getting a Nokia N9. This is just one sexy phone! Granted, I do know that Meego is unfortunately probably not going to get much (if any) attention since they are pushing Windows mobile (Mango) now, but Nokia did promise the support for Meego for years. Well I guess I will have to wait it out till December 8. There is still lots of time to change my mind. :)

Upvote 0
I was counting on you to square that away! :)

Heh, guess I'm predictable that way. But I looked all over and couldn't find any specific laws, just generalizations like these.

I had presented that an uncredited corollary to Amdahl's Law for years (back in my Cray benchmarking days) until someone found an ACM proceeding and helped me get it right. That was well over 15 years ago and I couldn't remember it, so I just winged that as close enough (the actual law is properly considered a corollary or derivative because in practice on a parallel system, space and precision tradeoffs become the real-world tradeoffs for performance enhancements). I can see why it reminded you of Knuth, but I don't believe that's right.

And Martimus is like us, so I figured if you didn't know, I would surely get a rise out of him.

Kewl stuff, I would've enjoyed hearing that. Maybe he can pinpoint it.

Yes, thanks! (downloaded and saved)

Both the S3 and the OMAP 4460 were both designed with superior video / media in mind.

Just like the Intel GPU that scores low on 3D gaming benchmarks but ultra-high on HD processing, the S3 in the Rezound and the OMAP 4460 in the Nexus set aside a portion of their 1 GB ram for mapping I/O and for GPU memory.

So, seeing less than 1 GB total on either phone is perfectly normal (and correct per the design).

400MB worth?! The Nexus S used the same SGX540 chip (clocked much lower) and only had 512MB total to play with. The GNex' framebuffer fits in 4MB, so I'm not sure why it'd need 100's of MB permanently reserved for system functions. Also if the NAND is memory mapped then it'd occupy address space but wouldn't need any backing RAM, right?

I'm wondering maybe the 300-400MB is soft-allocated caches & buffers that the OS would gradually relinquish if memory pressure gets high from running apps.

Upvote 0
In all fairness, that's a guess as well. ;)

But it is fact that the LTE model hadn't been finalized by the date of the HK announcement. If it was, they could have specified an exact thickness.

No offense but there are 20 other possible explanations of why it wasn't given besides the phone not being finalized.

Its not a fact, it's a assumption. (possibly a good one but still)

Upvote 0
You can always get this now!

nokia3310.jpg

Gee, that was one solid phone. That was back in the day when a phone was a phone. :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones