• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Upvote 0
2009ws27xchamps.jpg

Say it ain't so you are an Yankee fan boo lol

Upvote 0
sorry, talking football is like breathing for most Americans, just a part of life, it seems relevant to any discussion.
we sometimes forget others dont share our passion

wish I liked it. seems like a very easy way to build rapport with other people. Back when I was working in the corporate world, I asked a friend of mine to teach me how to talk about football. He told me to just say "did you see that hit!" LOL

One of the girls I'm seeing now is a huge football fan. Just sucks that I have like nothing to say about it.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Perhaps not. We were all chomping at the bit when there was no announcement, and then it was postponed due to "steve's death BS". Nerves were frayed, some claiming it was vaporware, etc. The announcement did calm things down, but people have to also look at that and see the history as it happened.

• Samsung and Google delayed the initial announcement, for what we can only surmise as problems with the software.
  • The announcement was made weeks later, and GSM specs were finalized. No formal LTE specs were given (just nebulous statements like, it's slightly thicker). So obviously from that, the LTE model wasn't fully designed, hence it's release date must be later then the GSM model.
  • Release dates in UK were also not publically announced until very late. This has absolutely nothing to do with Verizon, but even the GSM model was delayed.
  • OTA updates already pushed to fix bugs.
I'm not so sure a lack of announcement would have done anything to calm anything down. I actually think that would have made things worse. But the history above certainly shows that there are bugs being worked on, and the LTE model was going to get manufactured later than the GSM model.

"We" here are all getting worked up over rumors, not anything official. If Verizon misses Dec 31st, I'll be the first one to pick up a pitchfork and torch. That's all they've promised us, and anything else as far as I'm concerned is gravy.

Yes, waiting sucks. I want this phone sooooo bad.

This is quite the revisionist history you're writing.

*What's your proof that the unveiling was delayed for any reason other then the stated reason?

*At the unveiling, it was announced that it would be available in November.

*Samsung announced November 17 as the release date at the end of October, a week or two after the unveiling. THEY MET THAT DATE. THERE WAS NO DELAY IN THE GSM VERSION.

*The major bug that was noted in the GSM version does not exist in the LTE version because the LTE version would not operate on those bands.

*Do you have any clue how long it takes a device to go from concept, to planning, to testing, to market? (If you don't check out Engadget's feature on the process) To say that the LTE version hadn't been designed yet is one of the most ludicrous things I've read in this forum. The LTE version and GSM version are exactly the same, except for the thickness (due to the LTE radio), and Internal storage. There really is no reason for Google to show the LTE version in a market (Hong Kong) that is never going to see it. The device started showing up in the hands of testers in October...it clearly wasn't still being designed if that happened. The only thing that isn't ready on it is the software...because of Verizon.

*It's been stated by numerous sources (BMX, P3, Phil @ AC, Steven's sources, Han's sister) that the delay is due to VERIZON INTERNAL POLITICS.

*Many of those sources have said the device is ready, with the exception of VERIZON SOFTWARE.

It's pretty easy to conclude that Verizon is the sole source of the delay of this device. Their 12/31 date means nothing to me when it's obvious that it would be out, if not for their own greedy self serving interests. If you want to defend that, with the King's Ransom you pay to them for wireless service every month, feel free. Just don't expect my support.

As for BMX's tweet that all parties have been partly responsible, I would assume that he means that he doesn't think that Google should have been so willing to play ball with Verizon and their bloat apps. I would tend to agree, although with how fickle Verizon is, who knows how that would've gone over.

Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but I believe they did postpone the announcement out of respect for Steve Jobs. I really hope I wasn't the only person here who expected to feel some guilt for getting excited about details of this device so soon after hearing about his death, and I imagine that the people at google and samsung and vzw, all being more connected in the tech industry than I am, felt this far more than me.

Reactions: jbdan
Upvote 0
*Do you have any clue how long it takes a device to go from concept, to planning, to testing, to market? (If you don't check out Engadget's feature on the process)

Easy does it, ok? ;)

nj02vette works for a mobile device manufacturer - I hardly think that he needs Engadget's help on that process. :) ;)

It's always ok to disagree - but please remember that's also OK to agree to disagree.

No need to be so serious with language like "Do you have any clue..."

Please freely dispute facts and history without making things so personal.

Cheers, thanks!

And Happy Thanksgiving! :) ;)

Upvote 0
Let me explain my journey as I wait for the Nexus to be released on Verizon. I am a long time user of the iPhone and I made the switch to verizon once the iphone was released on verizon network. I got the Razr on the 16th to test the android waters to see if I would like the overside. I do, but I am waiting for the Nexus. With that said I had problems with my Razrs' hotspot. I could not connect to secure websites via the hotspot laptop and after a hour and half on the phone with verizon and motorola I returned the phone and moved back to the iphone. Now I am gun shy of the android platform. I will most likely check out the Nexus. This is my story and I have been lurking since the early 10,000 post. :) Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Reactions: jbdan and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I don't know about you guys, but I believe they did postpone the announcement out of respect for Steve Jobs. I really hope I wasn't the only person here who expected to feel some guilt for getting excited about details of this device so soon after hearing about his death, and I imagine that the people at google and samsung and vzw, all being more connected in the tech industry than I am, felt this far more than me.

They certainly might have I think that would have been the decent thing to do.

Lately I've wondered though, how connected those 3 are to each other in the tech industry sense :p

Upvote 0
Just typed up a monster post and then accidentally hit the home button on my tbolt. I want my nexus!!!!! I hate my Thunderbolt. The battery life sucks, sense is always cropping and reloading my homscreen, and the 4g radio sucks. I don't get a data connection the majority of the time :(. I would rather have my old dX back than carry around this late release evo any longer

Upvote 0
Let me explain my journey as I wait for the Nexus to be released on Verizon. I am a long time user of the iPhone and I made the switch to verizon once the iphone was released on verizon network. I got the Razr on the 16th to test the android waters to see if I would like the overside. I do, but I am waiting for the Nexus. With that said I had problems with my Razrs' hotspot. I could not connect to secure websites via the hotspot laptop and after a hour and half on the phone with verizon and motorola I returned the phone and moved back to the iphone. Now I am gun shy of the android platform. I will most likely check out the Nexus. This is my story and I have been lurking since the early 10,000 post. :) Have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Thanks for joining us!

I hope the Nexus does much better for you - but in the end, there's no best phone, only the best phone for any of us at a given point point in time.

Each platform does really really well in various things and that's why both sell so well and have so many satisfied users.

As I prefer Android, naturally I hope it comes through for you - but in the end, all that matters today is -

Backatcha - have a Safe and Happy Thanksgiving! :) :) :)

Reactions: donnyb
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones