• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Galaxy Nexus Pre-Release speculation thread**

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

Long time lurker figured I would join the discussion.

I also went to the Samsung store in New York this evening to get my hands on this phone. I was for the most part blown away.

The ICS OS is awesome but definitely sports a bigger learning curve then past devices.

I've been worried about this. Is this phone going to be user friendly for those that aren't tech geeks? :thinking:

I think it will take some time to get used to all the features. Its not hard to use out of the box for pretty much all the main functions. Calling, SMS, etc.

But if your coming from a blackberry or iOS the learning curve will be bigger.

I really loved the on screen buttons and the ability to close applications. I hadn't figured out how to make groups of applications yet by the time I left the store.

Reactions: anvilt
Upvote 0
pinch to zoom-unzoom is a multi touch function, so im sure you have done that before

Yeah...I forget what app I was in that wouldn't function with multi-touch...so it's probably app specific? I know I sound like an idiot...I do know that pinch to zoom in a multi touch feature...I just was thinking of an app I was having trouble with (I think a piano app...wouldn't let me hold one key down and press another?)

Upvote 0
I think it will take some time to get used to all the features. Its not hard to use out of the box for pretty much all the main functions. Calling, SMS, etc.

But if your coming from a blackberry or iOS the learning curve will be bigger.

I really loved the on screen buttons and the ability to close applications. I hadn't figured out how to make groups of applications yet by the time I left the store.

iirc from the videos i have seen, i think you just drag and drop the icons on top of one another and it puts them into groups/folders

Upvote 0
Man, that black background in the software key area is blacker than the bezel! That’s what I call true black! This is going to be one beautiful display!

galaxynexusvzwlte003.jpg

S/AMOLED/+ displays are like plasma TVs in regards to black - being a light emissive technology, if you don't power the pixels at all, you get no photons (unlike backlight bleed that can happen on LCDs).

That dark theme should assist battery life.

Quoted for truth and emphasis for those here new to S/AMOLED/+ type displays - unlike an LCD display that draws power over time based on the backlight setting - for these displays, the less light you output, the more battery energy you save.

(luker note - the Nexus is SAMOLED, I'm adding the slashes to cover the bases on similar OLED displays, where this all applies as well)

So I'm a bit confused Hans...why aren't all the blacks as dark as the black where the on-screen buttons are?

If I may - because those backgrounds weren't set to black, instead probably an almost black, by design.

Why they chose that is anyone's guess - to provide contrast with the buttons, maybe?

Upvote 0
I really really hope someone can come up with a special rom to be able to minimize the on screen buttons when ever you want. I just think it would be a cool option to have. I forgot to check while I was there but I would love to be able to go full screen on the web.
Like this?

463641284-a64366904da2a39ef960f1a411e1135a.4edaf748-scaled.png

Thats as full screen as you get on stock ROM, but if your looking for more with the massive screen, id say look towards a normal monitor.

Upvote 0
If you have never owned a Samoled phone...your in for a real treat. When I had the SG2 I compared it with my brothers 4s and it was night and day.

The iPhone's IPS lcd blacks look dark grey compared to the SG2 screen.
You will be spoiled for life with Amoled.

Just like Plasma tv's Amoled is more prone to burn in, but it's not something you should be concerned with on a phone.

Reactions: BobF and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Forget this pouch. Does anyone know/think/hope the galaxy nexus comes with one of these?

4254408553_a5cece3c23.jpg

I'm hoping i can find a cool one that will fit this monstrosity of a phone. Unless the pouch i have from my nexus one will fit...

yea i like that one too. i really hope they have a google branded one. all the ones i have seen are so hideous and clunky. i just want a simple sleeve.

Reactions: iiXioM
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones