• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

***Official Samsung Fascinate 2.2 Speculation Thread***

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't seen one quite that reassuring though, point blank saying directly that they are just testing it extra, and that they for sure will release 2.2 for the Fascinate. This reeks of "legitness" and a direct approach that they simply should've come out and said in such a fashion a LONG time ago. I thank the poster as well. Many of us have suspected as much for the longest time, but it's nice to get a little more direct confirmation from Sammy.

That's incorrect. This is precisely the form letter that has been sent out since the 4th quarter of last year. There is nothing in this letter to suggest that any progress has been made since that time. Further, there is nothing in the form letter posted on this page that differs substantively from all previously released form letters *other* than the fact that previous form letters had indicated a release date NLT "the end of the year," 2010.

Now.. I'm not trying to attack you, SirKronan, or get a rise out of you or anything, but... I have to call the shots as I see 'em. You didn't actually state that you are not presently employed by Verizon. Can you confirm that you don't, in fact, work for Verizon, or any company contracted by Verizon, either for PR or any other purposes at this time? :p

The reason I bring that up is that you seem a little overly optimistic given a complete paucity of new or otherwise encouraging information, and it strikes me as unusual. It stands out. It seems like you have a dog in the race somewhere.

In any case, I'd like to reiterate the fact that -nobody- here has any rational reason to suspect that Froyo / 2.2 for the Fascinate will become available any time soon (and, as I've stated before, I don't believe it will be released at all). There has been zero indication that we're ever going to see an official release -- rather, we've seen a leaked version of the firmware, which was explained earlier in this thread very cogently by another member.

All: Do your own research before you buy into the optimism of others, as their optimism may not be grounded in reality and, worse, things may not always be what they seem. :]

Cheers,

T

Upvote 0
There will be an update, ATT S's have there's right? Samsung has put a lot behind the galaxy line, they aren't going to eff it up for the biggest wireless carrier in the U.S. especially since they are releasing the S2 at some point in the near future. Just be patient, It's easy for a SW update to be delayed several months at a time. There wasn't much news with the Captivate received the update, they were essentially in the same boat as us until like the day before it came out.

Upvote 0
That's incorrect. This is precisely the form letter that has been sent out since the 4th quarter of last year. There is nothing in this letter to suggest that any progress has been made since that time. Further, there is nothing in the form letter posted on this page that differs substantively from all previously released form letters *other* than the fact that previous form letters had indicated a release date NLT "the end of the year," 2010.

Now.. I'm not trying to attack you, SirKronan, or get a rise out of you or anything, but... I have to call the shots as I see 'em. You didn't actually state that you are not presently employed by Verizon. Can you confirm that you don't, in fact, work for Verizon, or any company contracted by Verizon, either for PR or any other purposes at this time? :p

The reason I bring that up is that you seem a little overly optimistic given a complete paucity of new or otherwise encouraging information, and it strikes me as unusual. It stands out. It seems like you have a dog in the race somewhere.

In any case, I'd like to reiterate the fact that -nobody- here has any rational reason to suspect that Froyo / 2.2 for the Fascinate will become available any time soon (and, as I've stated before, I don't believe it will be released at all). There has been zero indication that we're ever going to see an official release -- rather, we've seen a leaked version of the firmware, which was explained earlier in this thread very cogently by another member.

All: Do your own research before you buy into the optimism of others, as their optimism may not be grounded in reality and, worse, things may not always be what they seem. :]

Cheers,

T

Talk about protesting too much. Having a bit of optimism doesn't necessitate the calling out above (despite your allegations that you are not calling anyone out).

If you want to believe 2.2 is never coming, good. Most of us believe it is. That's fine. Why get so upset at other members? Oy vey ...

Reactions: BumbleBbee
Upvote 0
Most of us believe it is. That's fine. Why get so upset at other members? Oy vey ...

I agree with this sentiment. I say if we think Tarrant (or anyone, for that matter) is so dead set on a view, then maybe we can ask for a friendly wager. Although since this is a web forum, I don't see how the transfer of a few dollars could ever work logistically, unless you guys feel like getting some PayPal involved.

Bryan Caplan (economist at George Mason) does this a lot. He always says that if you think someone is vehement behind a position that you're not sure is right (which happens a lot in economics) then set up a wager with clear terms (not just money, but what being "right" means exactly).

And you know what, to that effect, I wonder why no one on InTrade has set up this market of "Samsung Fascinate for Verizon gets Froyo before September 2011." (I guess it's obvious that no one would get that involved in that trade.)

Mike K

Upvote 0
Talk about protesting too much. Having a bit of optimism doesn't necessitate the calling out above (despite your allegations that you are not calling anyone out).

If you want to believe 2.2 is never coming, good. Most of us believe it is. That's fine. Why get so upset at other members? Oy vey ...

For somebody who's been around for awhile, Don, you ain't too quick to discern how I'm feeling in my post. :p I'm not the least bit upset with SirKronan. Like... not even a little bit. Why are -you- upset that I so adamantly believe 2.2 isn't coming at all? Heh.

And you don't think it'd be newsworthy if a Verizon employee were tacitly trying to keep people swayed in a positive direction on a forum dedicated to one of their products? I'd have that on blast within 24 hours -- i.e. it'd make the news -- if that ended up being the case. I'm not sure what you think constitutes newsworthy material, but... ah, "most of us" believe that'd be it. :p

Upvote 0
Not many choices on Verizon yet - iPhone or TB. Neither of which are quite perfect, IMO. At this moment, I'd take an iPhone over the Thunderbolt. But the Verizon phones supposedly just around the corner are giving me more hope ... the LG Revolution looks like a good contender, and the Stealth might materialize into something, too. We'll see...
sorry for the off topic mumblings...

Here's an article posted on Phone Arena last night listing what's coming out for Verizon and when. It looks like the Samsung Galaxy S II is due out in May.

Verizon's Spring roadmap leak shows Samsung Droid Charge, Xperia PLAY coming in April - Phone Arena

Upvote 0
For somebody who's been around for awhile, Don, you ain't too quick to discern how I'm feeling in my post. :p I'm not the least bit upset with SirKronan. Like... not even a little bit. Why are -you- upset that I so adamantly believe 2.2 isn't coming at all? Heh.

And you don't think it'd be newsworthy if a Verizon employee were tacitly trying to keep people swayed in a positive direction on a forum dedicated to one of their products? I'd have that on blast within 24 hours -- i.e. it'd make the news -- if that ended up being the case. I'm not sure what you think constitutes newsworthy material, but... ah, "most of us" believe that'd be it. :p

I don't think he is a Verizon employee, nor do I think you know if/when 2.2 will be release for the fascinate. You speak as if you know facts about the release and yet it is just your opinion, just like everyone else. You just have an arrogance in your statements that come off as being a smartass.

You have your opinion, we have ours. You know nothing more about a release than we do. Enough said. The horse is dead and still being beaten.

Upvote 0
I don't think he is a Verizon employee, nor do I think you know if/when 2.2 will be release for the fascinate. You speak as if you know facts about the release and yet it is just your opinion, just like everyone else. You just have an arrogance in your statements that come off as being a smartass.

You have your opinion, we have ours. You know nothing more about a release than we do. Enough said. The horse is dead and still being beaten.

It escapes me just how pointing out the fact that there is no indication that Froyo is any nearer for the Fascinate today as it was 9 months ago is a smartass thing to do, but... hey, to each their own. Incidentally, I'd allow SirKronan to respond to my inquiry himself before jumping to your conclusion.

I'd remind you that the burden of proof lies with those making a claim. I'm simply pointing out the fact that all those so certain that Froyo is on the way are making that claim without a single shred of evidence.

Some people browse these forums looking to make purchasing decisions that have long-term financial implications (contractual) -- it isn't fair or ethical to try and convince these people that Froyo is imminent when neither Verizon nor Samsung have provided any new information at all in 9 months.

Upvote 0
It escapes me just how pointing out the fact that there is no indication that Froyo is any nearer for the Fascinate today as it was 9 months ago is a smartass thing to do, but... hey, to each their own.

I'd remind you that the burden of proof lies with those making a claim. I'm simply pointing out the fact that all those so certain that Froyo is on the way are making that claim without a single shred of evidence.

Some people browse these forums looking to make purchasing decisions that have long-term financial implications (contractual) -- it isn't fair or ethical to try and convince these people that Froyo is imminent when neither Verizon nor Samsung have provided any new information at all in 9 months.

You know what? Those people that are cruising this forum and this thread in particular should keep in mind two things...(1) read the title carefully. It clearly states "speculation" and (2) read the entire thread. If they read the entire thread, they will see that not only is this all speculation, but that we are people who have the phone and are talking and joking about the info we've heard (be it reliable or not) and they can make their decision keeping that in mind.

If you cannot handle the "speculation" part of this thread, I suggest you find another to trash. I constantly see posts on Facebook comments (regarding, say, the Android app updates) and posts within threads such as this one where it seems like the person posting is only trying to bring down the mood of anyone else trying to have a positive outlook.

Personally, I am thankful to have a thread such as this going on, and I am happy to read anyone's speculation or link to an article when they think there's possibly some pertinent info out there. This is all helpful for ME...someone who searched for a thread like this. One of these days 2.2 will make it out to this phone. That is my personal belief based on the facts and data available to me. If you don't think that's the case, please...leave the thread and take your negative comments with you. We have all heard them and have accepted your comments and know that the possibility of no update exists. Leave us to our continued "speculation". These kinds of posts (including mine) have NOTHING to do with the OTA release date of 2.2 and have no business being here.

To the others reading this post: I apologize. I have seen too many negative or attacking posts lately and I couldn't help but finally put my opinion out there. My thought...why be so negative or contradictory?

Upvote 0
OK - let's review.

Our rules, linked in my sig for everyone's convenience, are uber-simple and are best broken down like this:

• Attack issues, not each other
  • Stay pretty much on on-topic (kinda goes to the point above, yes?)
  • Please be polite

There's little more frustrating than waiting on a critical update, and things can get heated - but when we keep it polite, the forums are just more fun for everyone.

Cheers and thanks in advance for everyone getting back on track now. ;)

Upvote 0
I know this has been posted many times - but my boss wanted to upgrade to a smartphone, she still had a Razor, so she really like my fascinate but she has ATT so I told her to get a Captivate.

I help her order it and it shows up to work today and guess what...2.2 - WTF - I dont have to update, run anything...it came direct with 2.2

I have had my Fascinate since September and nothing.....2.1 still

Sorry for the rant but seriously ... WTF.

Upvote 0
I actually appreciate the threads that Tarrant posts Everybody should be entitled to an opinion and his opinion to me makes the most sense. I think it is hilarious how this is a forum about the Fascinate getting Froyo and a person brings up a very good reason we do not have it and he is attacked for being negative. I don't mean to be attacking the other members but I just wanted to say I do agree with Tarrant and and it does seem like Verizon is stringing us along. If this is the case, it is very newsworthy. I also thing it is because of the Bing deal that we will not get Froyo. I do kind of believe that we well get Gingerbread in Sept as a kind of make up deal from Verizon but who knows?

Upvote 0
Mike K, I'd be up for the friendly wager.

A bit tongue and cheek, I see, and thanks. :) That said, I didn't say it for me. The issue was that it seemed as if we all thought your opinion was SO strong, that maybe someone could find a way to put a price on the strongly worded opinion you had.

Obviously though, like everyone else, I'm not willing to bet as my opinion isn't too optimistic. But then again, we're all pretty hopeful here.

By the way, how long have you had your Fascinate and did you know about the whole not having 2.2 thing when you bought? And we're you at any point optimistic when these links were coming out with "release dates" for something, which we ended finding out were patches and so forth and so on.

We all have our stories in this thread. I bought mine thinking that the if this was the latest piece of hardware, how could it not get the latest OS? Then, I joined this forum, and ended up happily flashing another ROM onto the phone.

Mike K.

Upvote 0

I've already done a considerable amount of digging, and I've been tracking this issue actively for a LONG time. It's no surprise considering I own two Fascinates - mine, and the wife's - both of which I root, theme and otherwise experiment on.

Allow me to point out the extent of "evidence" or at least signs that Froyo is destined to hit the Fascinate:

1. List of the devices that have official 2.2 now:
Mezmerize (remarkably similar to Fascinate)
Epic
Vibrant
Captivate
and all other popular variants of the Galaxy S worldwide ("popular" means NOT the Continuum... at least for now.)

2. List of Froyo leaks:
DL30 was the first one, I believe, and it was a kernal and OS leak that had ALL of the Verizon AND Samsung bloat - TW, Bing, VZ Nav, CityID, Tetris and NFS trial, etc.
EB01 followed shortly thereafter and for many users it was much improved, but this newer "stock" leak had all the bloat that DL30 had, which is remarkably similar to standard Verizon/Samsung bloat that stock Eclair originally had on the Fascinate right after you took it out of the box. On XDA where talented and connected folks have "stumbled" upon these leaks, they have put them up for download AS IS - no modifications whatsoever. Having tested and used these myself, I can personally state that they are specifically tailored to the Verizon Samsung Fascinate ONLY. It has specific hardware, memory, etc. that differentiate it from every other Galaxy S variant, with the exceptions of the Mezmerize and the Telius Fascinate. And guess what ... If it WERE just a leak from those phones, it would have NONE of the Verizon crap on it, which happens to work virtually the same as it does in 2.1, except they are newer 2.2 compatible versions. You pick up on little details like this if you waste hours doing research and futzing around with your phone. Two Verizon/Samsung leaks have been discovered, and tested successfully by many, including myself, on the Fascinate. That means Verizon/Samsung is close to having a final build. How close? We already know the problem with speculating exactly. I personally thought that I was going to get the Froyo for my birthday, but when the other U.S. carriers STILL didn't even have THEIR froyo by then, I decided that wasn't a realistic goal.

Edit: I wanted to add that the possibility of some kind of contract with Bing worries me as well, as 2.2 is rumored to have the option of Google as the default search...

Having been with Verizon for almost a decade, at least as my own provider of cell phone service, I know how they are usually late on stuff like this. They test the living daylights out of things. Whether you agree with their method, or not, and for better or for worse, that's the way it is.

Additionally, I want to point out the nature of nearly all of our "canned" responses from Samsung:

From 747's post:
FWIW I chatted with Samsung tech support.
Here is the text.
Parkin: Please go ahead with your queries.
Visitor: Hello. I have a verizon samsung fascinate. Can you tell me when software version 2.2 will be released?
Visitor: My car dock audio will not work with 2.1
Parkin: I understand that you are looking for android 2.2. Am I correct?
Visitor: yes
Visitor: Froyo
Parkin: Thank you for confirming.
Parkin: Unfortunately, as of now there is no official information on the release date of the Android 2.2 from Samsung and you will be notified by the carrier and in the Samsung website when/if the update is released. We are unable to speculate when/if a software revision might be available due to the fact that this might lead to inaccurate information and confusion.
Visitor: Thank you
Obviously they didn't want to set false expectations, but I wish they would have just came out and said, "Yes, we're working on it, but no, we're not ANYWHERE close to releasing it yet."

They wouldn't go to all the work to make at least two (probably more) complete test builds of froyo for the Fascinate, and then just can the update all together, unless it never sold well and had a nonexistent user base, such as the Continuum. The Fascinate has a large following, and continues to sell. Verizon still doesn't have anything "better" available. They have handsets that are better in some aspects, but worse in others, such as the Droid X or Thunderbolt. These phones are NOT upgrades from the Fascinate, but side grades. For everything the TB does better, there is something it does worse. FFC? Yes, but battery life sucks. 4.3" screen? Yes, it's bigger, but it doesn't have near the viewing angles or contrast ratio of SuperAMOLED. LTE data speeds? Yes, but only if you're in the "zone". If you're on the fringe you have to disable it or searching for it is going to eat your battery like a sandwich. It's also a much more bulky and heavy device than the super thin and lightweight Fascinate. For those that need the 4G internet or larger screen, great. It's an upgrade. For those that need better battery life and better viewing angles, it will be a downgrade.

My point is, the Fascinate is still a modern, current device that is still selling. Not supporting it doesn't just look bad for Samsung, but for Verizon as well. There's no way they'll get this close to an official release and NOT eventually come out. I sure hope it's sooner than later, just like everyone else. And fastbagger's response is the most direct and promising that I've heard, and I've personally read and posted on almost every single page of this thread, reading numerous canned responses users have received from Samsung. This one just "feels" a little more promising than the others. Is it more of SirKronan's gut feeling than anything else? Yes. I admit as much. You are free to criticize my opinion, and I will simply agree to disagree with you.

I already answered this question. I don't have any idea why you have to keep insinuating I work currently for Verizon, or why it's any business of yours, but I am no longer in that industry. I graduated from college with my bachelor's in psychology. I got full time employment in that field as a rehabilitation specialist, and stayed part time in the electronics industry for some time on the retail front until a few months ago I finally quit and dedicated more hours to doing therapy so I could take on more clients. It's tough to work retail/electronics AND in mental health at the same time because of how hard it is to schedule in clients AND work around a store's schedule, so I couldn't do it anymore. I worked in the consumer electronics industry for 6 years, and for a good chunk of the time I sold cellular service for several different providers, including Sprint, AT&T, T-Mobile, and Verizon. I've dealt with them as a 3rd party rep. selling and activating phones for them, and providing customer support. After years of dealing with these companies, you start to get a little of a feel for how they tick. I no longer personally sell or offer support for any of them right now, other than helping out friends and family on a 1 on 1 basis, but while working in the industry over the years, I have made some decently high up connections, and I'm not the only one. I will direct you to a post from XDA:

[SAMSUNG OSRC COMMENTS DELIVERY NOTIFICATION]

Dear customer,

We''re pleased to provide you the Froyo update source code of SCH-I500 USC (Mesmerize).
You can download the source code from the site below:
http://opensource.samsung.com.

Public firmware for Froyo update version about SCH-I500 VZW (Fascinate) is not announced yet on the outside.
After public release, we''ll publish open source code of SCH-I500 VZW (Fascinate) on website.
Please wait until early April.

Thank you.
Sincerely yours,
It's up to you. You can choose to believe or not believe indications I get from my sources. You can choose to believe or not believe indications that are over on XDA, if you ever keep tabs on folks over there. You can choose to follow twitters or IRC of all the dev's and others "in the know" on the Fascinate's latest. I have followed this industry for years, and I have actively modded and tweaked this phone since its release, actively following the latest here, on XDA, and a few times when I've had the chance on IRC.

I believe Froyo is coming, and I've personally seen and played with plenty of evidence. There are more test kernels, there's advertising that's been released showing the Fascinate with 2.2, there are other leaks coming out that people are playing with and testing, and this device overall has a considerable following. In addition, it took FOREVER for Verizon/HTC to finally release 2.1 for the Eris. It was a truly similar situation, and also a pretty popular phone. I have no reason to expect anything different this time with a Verizon/Samsung combo. The Eris had variants on other networks - of which Verizon was one of the last (possibly the last?) to get a Hero variant. The 2.1 update was a long time in coming, although I don't know when it hit the other networks. I wasn't quite as into this stuff back then as I am now.

Anyways, believe what you will believe. If you believe we'll never get official Froyo, I'll completely disagree with you, based on what I've seen. If Verizon's not 100% satisfied with ANY of their test builds, I still see them releasing an optional, non-OTA update you can do via computer, at the very least - or Samsung posting it on the Fascinate support page perhaps.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones