• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Official] Sprint HTC EVO 4G LTE Pre-release thread - Sprint official launch is Saturday, June 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our mileage varied, as you know, I stuck with the 3D and have gotten stellar battery performance (root and killing bloatware absolutely required) - many Rezound owners saying the same thing as well.

The key things in my mind will be the screen and radios.

Let's just admit it - as soon as any of us get this beast, we're going to go all schizophrenic per usual: pushing every boundary going WOW at the performance, then trying (and not always not failing) to lay off that to see how the battery will do under normal use. So, it'll take days, maybe a few weeks, for the new to wear off and start sharing _reliable_ battery reports. Am I right? :) ;)

The S4, like the S3 before it, will clock the two cpu cores asynchronously (read: different speeds, on demand) and even shut down a core as needed to save battery life. So, that architecture, along with the 28 nm manufacturing process used to build the S4, will save power.

tl/dr: power savings as has been said all along.

But for an LCD, the power draw is largely the backlight, and brightness is a function of screen size - bigger screen needs more lighting, that can eat up the power tradeoff.

And then we have the magic of CDMA+LTE - last I checked (I'll post substantiating link later, bookmark not on this machine) with LTE, the CDMA has to be on at the same time. The common meme is that LTE isn't that bad on the battery but the truth is that the Verizon forums here show reports all over the map on that one - again, except for the HTC Rezound.

So, I'm thinking this will be a wash in battery comparison to the 3D when all is said and done - perhaps better if we can have less variation on things here.

Which leads to the one thing I've yet to see mentioned - in ICS, you can supposedly freeze bloatware without rooting. If that's still allowed here, that will be a huge plus. No way will this be the first phone without bloatware. It will be nice to freeze it from day one for accurate battery and performance comparisons. :cool: ;)

That's the thing. Still haven't rooted and battery life on the MoPho has been awesome. With Motorola's built in battery management, it's helped tremendously (and I actually erased Juice Defender because of it).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
No Best Buy pre-orders yet in case anyone else was wondering.

I was in to grab a CD and stopped by the mobile department just to check on the off chance - They have had a few phones recently that were pre-orderable the same day as their official announcement.

I prefer the Best Buy pre-order to any other since there is no risk. Your pre-order $$ just gets transferred to a gift card that goes right back into your pocket. It is my contingency plan in case anything else gets announced that I may want to wait for or switch to. Although buying the Evo 3D, early no less, through Sprint.com was pain free. It was lucky that nothing else came out that made me too remorseful.

Maybe Best Buy will be respectful of Sprint and wait until May 7th or later to start their pre-orders.

Upvote 0
Ok muchachos and muchachas - what are we going to call it?? :)

The HTC EVO 4G is the Evo.
The HTC EVO Shift 4G is the Shift.
The HTC EVO 3D is the 3vo.

So, the HTC EVO 4G LTE will be called by us... :thinking: ... ???

Evo LTE - who wants to type that out? Not me. :)

Evo One? Evo One X? Evo X?

Godzilla 2012? :D

The new EVO hotness?...LOL...

Just put the LTE in front and you get LTEVO...hahahaha.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
lma0 - I just realized something.

In this day and age of speed, the One X is also spelled 1x, yet no one has worried about that. rotf

elte... ltevo... both very good - elte can be pronounced Elite and being in New Mexico, I can't help but think of ltevo as El TEvo (fanfare and mariachis play)! :D

I second this but would make it diabolical sounding like "El tEvo"

Or majestic, like El Toro!!!

Reactions: AM2
Upvote 0
NICE!! It looks like the new EVO's "HD Voice" feature is pretty effective!

HTC Evo 4G LTE Hands-On Video & First Impressions

(scroll to the second video down)
I gotta say that I am incredibly relieved by this up close look at the camera structure for the LTEvo. They went back to the insane nipple-camera lens (not flush with the case). However, the actual lens is inset from the red ring. So that should prevent the lens cracking that plagued E4Gs :D

Edit: Reflecting on "LTEvo"... sounds like a spanish DVR. :p (El Tivo)

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
MOD's: Since the device is now official, any chance for an official HTC EVO LTE forum?? (vs. having this thread here with all the other One X stuff.)

Yes, very soon, Phases has stuff in front of this, sorry, but it will go quickly, promise - plus, this thread will move to there. ;)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones