• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Oh crap!

b/c it hasn't been corrupted yet. For whatever reason, either the fall or something else messed the card up right when it was either being read (usually not a major problem) or when it was being written to (can easily cause problems if the writing is interrupted).

I was hoping that the card would be readable by a data recovery program like recuva or else pandora - and it still might be after you format it, as long as you select quick format and not a full format, on your computer. But, some things may be permanently lost.

After you try and get what you can (if anything), then I highly recommend that you go back and manually format again, this time using the full format setting - it may take a while (up to 30 minutes, or even longer) but you'll be using a fresh card, and avoid having issues in the future.

Upvote 0
Wait.... Do i have to be your sister?? That could make some weird things said even weirder
;)
Daddy and sister?? I'm beginning to wonder where the 2 of you originated from.
:rolleyes: ^you ladies are killing me:)

Quick format wouldn't work. Thought I mentioned that but. I guess not. Oh well. Thx for all your help though
You did mention it:)
What does it say when you try to format it? Is there anything on there you wanna save? Did you try to scan it with recuva?

Upvote 0
Sir?!?! Is this your new found respect for your elders? :p

Do you have any other devices that take an SD card that you can try to format it in? Is there any physical defects on it? Does it look like it is damaged?

Haha i still have no respect for elders!

It doesn't look damaged as far as I can tell. I have 2 digital cameras I can try them in.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
O, one last question - it does seem that the device is hosed, as in permanently.

Is this the SDCard the came with the phone brand new, or did you buy a used phone and it came with the 32 GB SDCard?

Since you're using an Evo 4G I'm assuming new - and if that is the case, since that phone is, what, like 4 months old at the latest (more like 2) it really *should* be under warranty....

You could take it into the store and say the phone was dropped and it stopped working (and neglect to tell them that you've tried a lot of this troubleshooting stuff we've recommended) or you could go in there straight away and say you know it's dead, and the phone is fine, so the card is bad and needs to be replaced an tell them every thing you've done to try to restore it....

Something is not right though. If Windows recognizes the card as a 30 MB card, then that means the it's making an electronic connection to something on the card that gives the specs - but it simply cannot format the card for whatever reason....

Thus, I'm asking about the origin of the card - b/c it sounds suspicious at best, as if it is a cheap knock-off fake 32 MB card that a lot of people have bought on eBay and the like only to find out that they are fakes....

Upvote 0
Hmm... not looking too good. I'm sure you tried this, but don't recall reading it... could you try to format it in your phone?

This may work, not 100% sure on it though...

If you have a linux live cd (or could download one), you could try the dd command. You specify an input file and an output file. the final command would look something similar to this...
Code:
dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdb
where /dev/sdb is the sdcard.

Upvote 0
Institute - (WVSU)

Ummm, that's actually normal.

Used by memory makers, GB is normal powers of 10 used to define something - so a 32 GB Micro SDCard is 32,000,000,000 bytes.

however, Bytes are actually calculated base 2, meaning powers of 2. So, 1 GB is actually 1,073,741,824 bytes long. Thus, 32 GB is really 34,359,738,368 bytes, not 32,000,000,000.

And, if you divide 32,000,000,000 by 1,073,741,824 you get 29.8023223876953125 actual GB, which rounds up to 30 GB.

It's the same with all sorts of magnetic media - USB Flash devices, hard drives and SSDs, etc.

Scary thing is this happened to me once and i actually understand all the bytes as I studied it at home university and didn't pass but learnt a lot of things by it

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones