• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Pandora on the EVO

If you loose/have bad connection, then it will skip to next song. If it skips, like a cd would, then you have to many apps running, or need to reboot your phone.

"Have you tried Power Amp to play your flac files? Plays flac without a hitch. My favorite music player. I think its free for a month but you have to buy it $4.99 after that."
I tried that and it skipped, I will try angain with rebooting after install.

Upvote 0
I have been talking with someone from Pandora about the issue but have not done much testing after their last suggestions (one of which was simply to clear data for Pandora...which in the short test worked)

They also gave me some info and asked me to log the issue.

For those experiencing the phantom advance..skipping songs

Please email star@pandora.com with the following information

subject line should read: songs randomly skip etc

* Manufacturer:
* Model:
* Carrier:
* Android version (Settings -> About Phone -> Software
information):
* Pandora version (it's displayed in the lower right hand corner
when Pandora is loading):
* Are you connected to Wi-Fi or 3G when this is happening?

Also if you can you send us diagnostics logs, these are
enormously
helpful in trying to pinpoint what's happening. We don't
have an
immediate fix, but these logs help us gather information for our
developers to try use in upcoming releases of the Pandora app.

If you can help, then first you will need to install a
third-party
Log Collector app from the Android Market.

Search for: "sendlog"
And install the app called "Send Log" (by Neil Boyd)

1. Logging can only be enabled while the Pandora app is
starting up
(when you see the blue Pandora screen).
2. While on the blue start-up screen, press the menu key
rapidly,
6-7 times in a row.
3. You should see a message that logging is enabled. *If
NOT, then
close the app and try step 2 again.*
4. Perform the action to reproduce the issue you're having.
5. Quit Pandora.
6. Launch the "SendLog" app and send the system log back to me.

Thanks so much for your help with this!

Best,

Star

Pandora Listener Support

Upvote 0
So...what Star suggested to me seems to be working (so far)

go to manage applications and clear data for Pandora, then uninstall Pandora. Go to market and reinstall Pandora.

did this and tested on wifi for 2 hours...not one single skip. Tested again on the way to work this morning on 3g, 45 minute trip...no skips. In the WIFI test the phone was not plugged in to a power source. This morning on 3g it was. I am planning on running it again tonight on the drive home, without it plugged in.

(some have posted the skipping only occurs when their phone is not plugged in to a power source)

Upvote 0
So...what Star suggested to me seems to be working (so far)

go to manage applications and clear data for Pandora, then uninstall Pandora. Go to market and reinstall Pandora.

did this and tested on wifi for 2 hours...not one single skip. Tested again on the way to work this morning on 3g, 45 minute trip...no skips. In the WIFI test the phone was not plugged in to a power source. This morning on 3g it was. I am planning on running it again tonight on the drive home, without it plugged in.

(some have posted the skipping only occurs when their phone is not plugged in to a power source)

All did nothing.

I've wiped the entire phone and Pandora still sucks. I just tried clearing data and re-installing. No change. Skipped on the first song. Being plugged in to AC power makes no difference.

Upvote 0
All did nothing.

I've wiped the entire phone and Pandora still sucks. I just tried clearing data and re-installing. No change. Skipped on the first song. Being plugged in to AC power makes no difference.

I was unable to test on the drive home...had completely unrelated phone issues.

Fee free to use the contact info I posted above, or within Pandora, or via the contact link in the market to contact Pandora's support staff on your own.

Upvote 0
well... maybe...

do you all have an app that over or under clocks the cpu?
like Setcpu or overclock widget?

it might be pushing your cpu too low... and then your phone starts some update/sync process from some other app. then your cpu is over whelmed because it is stuck at some low speed setting.

try to give it more power... and set it to "ondemand" in the setcpu app.

just a guess ... :)

Upvote 0
Are you guys referring to "skipping" as the app going to the next song, or does the music skip around...as if packets were lost...so maybe you skip 5 seconds ahead here and there?

If "skipping" refers to Pandora going to the next song by itself after about 90 seconds, that happens to me all the time. However, it does not happen everyday...though when it happens, it happens for several songs straight. Quitting the Pandora service and starting it back sometimes helps.

Pandora was just updated as well. Was this issue addressed in the update?

Upvote 0
Let me explain why I don;t think the skipping is a connection thing...

I had pandora on iOS, and when you lose connection (and I did while driving on the highway out here in the middle of nowhere), it simply stops the stream, and resumes where it left off as soon as you have a connection. I have a hard time believing that the android version was just written to skip to the next song. What is the point? Skipping to the next song with no data still leaves you with no data. The next song won't play any better without a connection.

Also, there was just a Pandora update (I think a week or so ago) and I have had zero skips or pops at all since then.

FWIW, Pandora works decently well on Edge as well. If you are on 3G, you probably aren't throttling your connection unless you are getting less than or equal to 2G speeds.

Upvote 0
Are you guys referring to "skipping" as the app going to the next song, or does the music skip around...as if packets were lost...so maybe you skip 5 seconds ahead here and there?

No, the songs are actually skipping to the next.

If "skipping" refers to Pandora going to the next song by itself after about 90 seconds, that happens to me all the time. However, it does not happen everyday...though when it happens, it happens for several songs straight. Quitting the Pandora service and starting it back sometimes helps.

Pandora was just updated as well. Was this issue addressed in the update?

As far as I can tell, the update has addressed this issue. I listen to Pandora A LOT and have had zero issues over the past week or so that we've had the update

Responses in bold.

Upvote 0
I have experienced some skipping since upgrading to the newest Pandora.

It went away for awhile, but just yesterday, it happened during a Frank Sinatra song. I promptly exited the Pandora app, and then started it again. That fixed it for the whole day.

Also, now that I have a Jawbone Icon with A2DP support, I listen to Pandora more often than before. I've been using it HEAVILY for the past few days.

Does anyone know if Pandora recognizes the skips as initiated skips, and limits it to 6 per hour per station?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if Pandora recognizes the skips as initiated skips, and limits it to 6 per hour per station?

no, mine has "skipped" as many as 10 times in a row.

I see that you updated Pandora...have you updated HTC software like one of the members that posted above you? Or did you only upgrade Pandora to the current version.

Can those of you that updated please list what version of Pandora you are now on

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Pandora is my favorite app, so much so that my cheap self actually paid for it. I can drive through ohio for hours without ever noticing loss in service. I have had the experience of it skipping to the next song, but not often enough to bother me. My major problem has been it being cut off by superpower when its not plugged in. I am sure I can fix that.

I am 43 and was bringing my daughter home from college for winter break a month ago, and I was recollecting about my first cell phone, shaped like a brick, that you could only use within the city limits. Just last year at this time I had a win 6.1 that couldn't do a 10th of the things my evo can. There i was driving down the freeway through rural areas listening to pandora almost the whole way. :)

Upvote 0
Here's my problem with Pandora. When not connected via WiFi, it will play one song then stop. I have to turn the screen on for a moment to get it to go to the next song. Any suggestions? Is it a setting on my phone?

I have to have mine plugged in for this not to happen -hence the screen always on. I thought this was due to my app killer though. Not sure.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones