• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone incorrectly adds 1 or + when calling on global phone

spartlow

Lurker
Aug 24, 2012
Background:
I have a HTC Incredible 2 with Android 2.3.4 on Verizon. I am currently in China on business and am using a China Unicom GSM SIM card (Verizon gave me a an unlock code).

Problem:
My phone keeps prefixing local Beijing numbers in my contacts so they don't work.

For example my wife's Beijing number is 136 xxxx xxxx but when I add it to my contacts it shows it as +136xxxxxxxx and when I call it it fails ("I get a Chinese voice saying this is not a valid number). Plus during the call it says "Kansas" under it. So it thinks this is an international, when really it's just a local call in Beijing. However, if I manually dial the number (don't use the contact entry) the call goes through fine. The contact does not have a plus in it so editing it doesn't help.

Likewise when calling elong.com (a Chinese travel site) their number is 40 0617 1717. That works fine if I call it manually. However after I added it to my contacts my phone insists on changing the number to 14006171717 which doesn't work. I have to actually delete the contact entry in order to call that number.

Is there some setting to say "I'M NOT IN THE US RIGHT NOW"?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones