• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Phone randomly slowing down...

nightspd

Mar 21, 2011
hey guys. My V is randonly slowing down/stopping for no apparent reason and I can't for the life of me figure it out. I occasionally will run SystemPanel Lite to go in and kill some running apps (i know, no need but i'm trying to debug this) and it doesn't seem to help the issue.

I will occasionally swipe to unlock the screen, and it sits there doing nothing. Or I'll simply swipe down my notification area, again..nothing! It's very odd. I've scanned with Lookout and everyhting looks fine. I just cleaned up a bunch of apps I wasn't using as well as making sure I had the latest version of the apps I use installed.

This is a stock V running Froyo 2.2.1 with a 16gb PNY microsd card.

Any ideas? Should I run AVG, or is there something else that could scan for the possibility of Malware or something else that could cause this?

Thanks

-Chris

Mine just did that today... it seemed like it only lasted a few minutes then it was fine..I didn't pull my battery. I just waited it out. Maybe theyre getting ready for gingerbread? I know that's been said many many. Many. Times, but it makes sense to me...gb did just come out for the optimus s.

Upvote 0
Maybe theyre getting ready for gingerbread? I know that's been said many many. Many. Times, but it makes sense to me...gb did just come out for the optimus s.

Possible, I seem to recalled when it happens my 3G arrows are on in both directions. But it's becoming a PITA as it caused problems for me yesterday when I needed to use Navigation and it went it a temporary lock state...had to power cycle the damn phone.

Clearly not a hardware problem, since it started just recently.

Upvote 0
ฝhen my ρhoηε sloωs doωn, I check and see hoω much RAM is available and ωhat aρρ is running. Usually YouTube or camera/video player running in the background can sloω doωn my ρhoηε. If available RAM gets beloω 100mb and not recoverable, I ωουld reboot my ρhoηε before it locks.

Upvote 0
Same problem here. What bothers me most is it likes to lock up when I get a phone call. It'll show the "VM minute checker" bar at the top and the ringtone will play, but it takes forever for the slide to answer screen shows up. I just cleared 7.02 MB of cache using the app 1-Tap Clean Cache, and it seems to have made my phone much snappier. Though this could be temporary... I forget to run this often so that might be the issue. Otherwise, it could be RAM, despite me killing apps on an almost regular basis.

Upvote 0
Japanorama said:
Otherwise, it could be RAM, despite me killing apps on an almost regular basis.
I agree ωith the possibility of RAM usage. But I think it also depends on ωhat app rather than hoω many app is running. I read a note from one of the keyboard developers and he said if your phone is sloωing doωn turn off the "Learn new words" from the keyboard settings because that option uses a lot of RAM.

I ωouldn't force stop stock apps tho', because those stock apps ωill only pop up again

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones