• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Phone won't start up past the HTC screen.

reddeaddorito

Android Enthusiast
Dec 31, 2011
kzoo
I flashed midnight ROM. put the AOSP theme over it. Flashed the newest MAC Kernel, and that's when it started happening.

I decided to factory reset and flash the ROM again, tried to restart. same thing.

restored a backup, no dice.

Wiped boot/data/system, factory resetted, wiped both caches and reflashed midnight ROM. Still nothing.

Tried to flash CM9 (after factory resetting and stuff) and it still won't go past the HTC screen no matter how long I wait.

What's wrong? Am I half bricked?

I'm S OFF on downgraded HBOOT.

Well, it sounds like the original issue was with kernel related, but your nandroid or flashing a ROM with S-off should flash the kernel so I'm kinda stumped as far as fixing it.

I would try flashing the kernel separately via fastboot and seeing if that helps (it can't hurt).
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

I assume that the ROM devs include the kernel in the ROM, so you shouldn't need to do this, but it won't harm anything.

Reactions: reddeaddorito
Upvote 0
Well, it sounds like the original issue was with kernel related, but your nandroid or flashing a ROM with S-off should flash the kernel so I'm kinda stumped as far as fixing it.

I would try flashing the kernel separately via fastboot and seeing if that helps (it can't hurt).
Code:
fastboot flash boot boot.img

I assume that the ROM devs include the kernel in the ROM, so you shouldn't need to do this, but it won't harm anything.

:D!

Thanks! That worked. I was starting to get real pissed, but this did it.

What do you think could be the cause?

I do notice that the recovery tells me it makes a back up of a boot every time I flash something...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones