• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Post Your Last Purchase

Indeed. We have a station 1420 WVJS that plays classic rock/pop from the '60s to the 80s, and 730 AM WFMW that plays very old country from the Hank Williams, no bloody 'Jr' era.

During a severe thunderstorm, AM radio might be your only lifeline to knowing what's going on as the internet is the first thing to go, along with cell towers. We had an ice storm in 2009 that did worse damage to our infrastructure than the 2000 January EF3 tornado did, and it was fun watching all the people scramble without their beloved iPhones while I had a generator and VHS tape collection still.

I still buy old films on VHS. People still think I am crazy, but I have something to watch when the internet goes down, unlike them, and VHS movies are 50 cents a movie over ten dollars for a DVD or 20 for a Blu-ray. Don't get me started on how nobody realizes how those subscription services add up over time.

I even got a Woolworth's "Audition" branded AM clock radio, tuned to 1420, and it's great waking up to either Styx or Pink Floyd early in the morning.

Last edited:
Reactions: ozonetrooper
Upvote 0
I stream my tv sources, got more channels than Village People got Kung Fu moves !

I have a complete home theater setup with all sorts of media capabilities, but no room for it now, it is all in boxes in storage.

I have boxes and boxes of music/video media but no CD/DVD player to play them on, it is also boxed up.

Tv set with a soundbar and stream keeps me plenty of company.

Upvote 0
I still buy old films on VHS. People still think I am crazy, but I have something to watch when the internet goes down, unlike them, and VHS movies are 50 cents a movie over ten dollars for a DVD or 20 for a Blu-ray. Don't get me started on how nobody realizes how those subscription services add up over time.

In the UK it's second hand DVDs that are very cheap and widely available, like for around £1-2. I have seen some old VHS movies but not much.

Upvote 0
Sadly, a lot of secondhand DVD players have laser pickup failures or other issues. I have found that a lot of the last-gasp VHS players that are not built by Funai corp tend to work forever, with more reliable mechanisms that don't depend so heavily on idler tyres, tons of belts, or incandescent lamps acting as tape end sensors.

Like with my 8-track collection there's a ton of movies and specific TV show episodes that never made it to DVD or later, aren't available on streaming services, and died with VHS. I don't like streaming that much as a lot of content just isn't there, or vanishes before I finish it, or is heavily edited to pander to 'PC/woke culture'. Try finding the unedited version of Dumbo today. The last copy was on VHS. The last unedited version of Bambi was on U-Matic of all formats. The last unedited Star Wars trilogy was on VHS.

Upvote 0
I got tons of good shows I grew up with or discovered later on DVD, such as the entire Babylon 5 saga, as well as the complete series of both the Carol Burnett Show and Mama's Family the spin-off of the 'Family' sketch on the former, the entire M*A*S*H series, entire Knight Rider 1982 series, and the first few seasons of Full House, Bewitched and Wings.

I do have owned content on iTunes, that I can stream via a very outdated but still working Apple TV 3rd Generation, but I favor my DVD and VHS collection, no buffering, no internet needed, no compression artifacts or worse, horrible aspect ratio limits on streaming. Finding good secondhand DVD players is still a challenge as I prefer the VCR-sized ones with all the buttons and little display on the front, as they are more professional looking compared with the more cheaper, cost-cut Chinesium ones that are lucky to last a year, but I got a few that work.

Upvote 0
Although I have access to almost any movie every made I do not watch many, my streaming is daily content, I watch alot of cop shows and ufo shows, with some Dr. Pol, Dr. Oakley, and Dr. Jeff, and such mixed in ...

I did watch the first series of Twisted Metal and both series of Killing It not long ago, TM is cool, KI is fookin hilarious !
Have you played the game of Twisted Metal,I have!

Upvote 0
I do have massive dvds I watch on and off, my regular kill switch from people is huge wad of Adult Swim shows, and anime sometimes, I do have my ps3 to keep me company as well as my many many comics and artwork, so I am pretty busy without writing, although with writing does take heap of my time as well.

- on topic:

Almond Milk, A small jug of skim milk, and a few creamers.

Upvote 0
Have you played the game of Twisted Metal

Nope, my "gamming" days are long behind me now.

I am still playing the bubble pop on my phone that I have posted screenshots of here, been playing that one for over 8 years now I believe.

(I tried to search the site for my post but I guess they are lost in the shuffle somewhere)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If that game is 8 years old, I am guessing the dev has long since moved on. I also keep some mobile titles on board from the good old days before microtransactions and in-app purchases. My bubble shooter favorite is Bubble Mania, from Team Lava. I grew quite fond of the characters in it, the music and it reminds me of Bust-A-Move from the old Nintendo coin-op era. They also make a lot of 'Zynga-clones' that don't need the internet to work, like their FarmVille clone Farm Story to name one example.

a word of caution to the curious who try out their games...TURN NOTIFICATIONS OFF for them after install as they will nag the ever living crap outta you if you leave them idle or close them and don't play often.

Reactions: Milo Williamson
Upvote 0
Sadly, a lot of secondhand DVD players have laser pickup failures or other issues. I have found that a lot of the last-gasp VHS players that are not built by Funai corp tend to work forever, with more reliable mechanisms that don't depend so heavily on idler tyres, tons of belts, or incandescent lamps acting as tape end sensors.

Like with my 8-track collection there's a ton of movies and specific TV show episodes that never made it to DVD or later, aren't available on streaming services, and died with VHS. I don't like streaming that much as a lot of content just isn't there, or vanishes before I finish it, or is heavily edited to pander to 'PC/woke culture'. Try finding the unedited version of Dumbo today. The last copy was on VHS. The last unedited version of Bambi was on U-Matic of all formats. The last unedited Star Wars trilogy was on VHS.

Do second-hand DVD players even have any value at all now, and not just given away? Because can buy a new DVD player for about equivalent of $25 USD, or a USB DVD drive for less than equivalent of $10.

Reactions: AugieTN
Upvote 0
20230909_191453.jpg

Upvote 0
New DVD players are junk. They all fail right after the warranty expires, plus they're really cheap looking, and I prefer ones built like tanks with buttons and the front display since it shows better in an entertainment cabinet.

Secondhand ones if working range from 8 dollars to 25, with 25 being what a used blu-ray player sells for. You can also find good deals on older used LCD HDTVs if you're not into 4K and smart stuff. The older LCD TVs had better screens and more reliable backlighting tech and are built less cheaply than a modern one. Modern ones want internet to sell your data off, have very laggy UI, and feature reflective screens that make for poor viewing angles and bad backlight bleed. The LED strips often fail a few years later too, making the set either refuse to turn on at all, or half the screen is dead.

The last two LCD TVs I got were extremely old Samsung sets, one from 2006 and the other from 2008, and everything works. Replacing two smart TVs that stopped working in some manner. The 2006 is 43 inches and the 2008 is 21 inches, the 2006 cost 40 dollars and the 2008 cost 19.

Got a 2010 dated Samsung Blu-Ray disc player to go with the 2008 TV, and mainly because they fit well together, and 2010 was my favorite year for tech. Front display, illuminated touch buttons and it works just fine. 25 dollars for that

Upvote 0
If that game is 8 years old, I am guessing the dev has long since moved on. I also keep some mobile titles on board from the good old days before microtransactions and in-app purchases. My bubble shooter favorite is Bubble Mania, from Team Lava. I grew quite fond of the characters in it, the music and it reminds me of Bust-A-Move from the old Nintendo coin-op era. They also make a lot of 'Zynga-clones' that don't need the internet to work, like their FarmVille clone Farm Story to name one example.

a word of caution to the curious who try out their games...TURN NOTIFICATIONS OFF for them after install as they will nag the ever living crap outta you if you leave them idle or close them and don't play often.
I used to play the crap out of bust-a-move.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones