• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

PowerAMP audio player !!

I am clueless as to what the equalizer does.

But I do recall that controls set to certain shapes help make sound better.

So...what "shape" should I have my equalizer set to for best sound? I don't know what I should be listening for...

Right now I have it set to a "hill" shape...

TIA for any advice.

A given sound or bit of music has a wide range of frequencies, low to high. Think of them like the layers that make up lasagna. Put together they make the whole sound.

An EQ lets you increase or decrease bands of those frequencies. The more sliders on the EQ, the smaller the sheet of lasagna you can tweak.

As said above there is no right or wrong. I find that in general, I like more base and more top end to make rock/pop music more dynamic and interesting to listen to. I find the bass and treble EQ setting freshens up some of the music I listen to (that's opposite to the 'hill', it's more like a gully). But that's just me and what I've been listening to. It's all about making it sound better for you. Hence you see different presets that might be better for certain types of music (emphasis on might).

If after fiddling with an EQ and presets you can't really tell the difference (or it seems different but you don't care) I'd suggest you stick with just the tone control at the bottom. That is like a very simple EQ - lower band and higher band.

If you are still wondering about EQ I am sure there are many great guides out there on the web.

Reactions: BookLover
Upvote 0
Looks very good and the interface is easy to use, although the EQ takes a little practice on the sliders. However, I'm facing the problem other reviewers referred to with albums being listed and played alphabetically. I've copied FLAC albums over to the music folder on the SD card, Poweramp finds these OK and renders album art fine, too. But although I can see from the track info that the track number is there, it will only play in alphabetic order.

I think I'm missing something really obvious. All pointers welcome.

Exactly same for me regarding playback order. Hopefully someone knows how to get albums to play in track order. Obviously not suitable for someone who listens to classical music, audio books, or albums that make sense only when played in the right order.:(

Upvote 0
They are both good, but I'd lean toward PowerAMP because of things like the equalizer really. Winamp offers wireless sync from your computer to phone though which is a cool feature and may be something you would want. Its users choice really.

PowerAMP is supposed to be out next week - I don't know if our trial will expire then or not. But I'd suggest checking it out while its free, and winamp, and decide for yourself :)

Upvote 0
Looks very good and the interface is easy to use, although the EQ takes a little practice on the sliders. However, I'm facing the problem other reviewers referred to with albums being listed and played alphabetically. I've copied FLAC albums over to the music folder on the SD card, Poweramp finds these OK and renders album art fine, too. But although I can see from the track info that the track number is there, it will only play in alphabetic order.

I think I'm missing something really obvious. All pointers welcome.

It used to do this for me in the first beta but was resolved a couple of versions ago -MP3s only here. Do you have the market version? Maybe remove and re-install if you just did an upgrade last time.

Upvote 0
I think I found a solution for you guys:

Go into settings, then under Folders/Library go to "Sorting", then for Album/Artist Songs Sorting make sure its selected as "By track number, title". For Folder Files Sorting make sure "By file number, then filename without number" is selected - or whatever preference you have.

Seems logical and that was basically what I had done before. Redid the settings again in case I had messed it up and things still play in alphabetical, not track order.

Upvote 0
They are both good, but I'd lean toward PowerAMP because of things like the equalizer really. Winamp offers wireless sync from your computer to phone though which is a cool feature and may be something you would want. Its users choice really.

PowerAMP is supposed to be out next week - I don't know if our trial will expire then or not. But I'd suggest checking it out while its free, and winamp, and decide for yourself :)

I tried Winamp and it caused my memory card to mount automatically when I plugged the phone into my computer just to charge. I think this has something to do with their syncing and I could probably turn it off, but I'm too lazy to do so.

I'm becoming more and more a fan of PowerAmp. I've been using TuneSync for some time to wireless sync my library so that's not a deciding factor for me. I can see how it would be for some people though.

Upvote 0
I think I found a solution for you guys:

Go into settings, then under Folders/Library go to "Sorting", then for Album/Artist Songs Sorting make sure its selected as "By track number, title". For Folder Files Sorting make sure "By file number, then filename without number" is selected - or whatever preference you have.

Thanks for the suggestions, but this hasn't cured the problem.

Upvote 0
It used to do this for me in the first beta but was resolved a couple of versions ago -MP3s only here. Do you have the market version? Maybe remove and re-install if you just did an upgrade last time.

Downloaded from the market a few days ago, so it's not an upgrade from beta.

Wondering if this is a problem with FLAC files as it seems those with MP3 don't have an issue.

Anyone playing FLAC and not finding this a problem?

Upvote 0
Yea, I think PowerAMP is going to lose quite a few customers from making the transition into a paid app. A donation app might even be a better idea for money.

I dunno. I've tried just about all the free players out there. I haven't seen a single one I liked as much as PowerAmp. I think it's worth the money if it's a $5 app. MixZing is like $8. PowerAmp is a much better player for less money.

Upvote 0
I have a samsung captivate and I use it often in the car for music. I use the headphone jack for pluggging it into my stereo. Its a real pain to always have to unlock the phone, select the music app I want, select the song or album I was on previously (which i like to do) and then begin playing. I am in /out of the car a lot so this repetition gets old fast. With this app, any chance all that is bypassed? (i.e. - plug the jack into the phone and it instantly picks up & plays where it left off)

Upvote 0
There will be a free version of PowerAMP too.

I understood there was going to always be a 'trial' version (dev quoted from their forums) but is that going to be like the current 'trial' - a time limited version?

I'll be paying when it goes final - eq, interface and promised gapless playback (its already better than most) has got me hooked. It's also the price of a pint to fill in one of the big Android gaps!

Upvote 0
Not long seen this thread, found it as I'm looking for an app. like this. One question though. Does PowerAmp have a 'random play'? I have 3500+ tracks and most of the time I'm not in a position to choose the next track/album (driving for instance) so just like having the player play at random.

Oh, and when you start a 'random play', if it has this feature, does it start at random as well? I've used players in the past where they all start at the same song every time .....

Ta

Dave

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones